TriPlayer - A feature-rich audio player for Nintendo Switch

wd7qBy2.png

Hey everyone! I'd like to introduce a little something I've been working on since February. After 9 months I believe it's at a state where it's ready for a public release!

Let me introduce TriPlayer, my project that came to be due to the lack of a "proper" audio player for the Nintendo Switch. TriPlayer automatically scans and organizes any audio files you have in the /music folder on the root of your SD card. As pictures speak a thousand words, I'll let the following screenshot help describe it:

ci80MLQ.jpg

As you can see, it handles the metadata embedded within audio files in order to create a complete music library. The music will keep playing while you're playing a game or using another application. Playback can be controlled via the provided Tesla overlay or by pressing button combinations on the controller.

Requirements:
  • A recent version of Atmosphere (0.10.0+)
    • TriPlayer may work on other CFWs, however this is untested
    • The sysmodule requires ~3MB of free memory, so this may clash with other sysmodules
  • A recent firmware version
    • Once again this hasn't been tested, but some code relies on newer firmwares so I suggest 10.0.0+
  • Some music!
    • FLAC, MP3 and WAV are supported at this time
Installation:

1. Download the latest release as a .zip from here
2. Extract the contents to the root of your SD card
3. Place some music in /music
4. Launch the application and wait for the initial scan to complete

GitHub:

A lot more information and usage is covered on my GitHub repo. See the readme for a brief introduction and link to the wiki where everything is covered in detail.
https://github.com/tallbl0nde/TriPlayer

Final Notes:

I hope TriPlayer is useful to many of you who have been wanting a music player on the Switch. As it's quite complex, there's a good chance I've missed some major bugs. Please report these as issues on GitHub. Note that should the sysmodule crash, it will crash the entire OS. While I personally haven't had any crashes while both listening and not listening to music, I recommend stopping the sysmodule (either via the app or overlay) when you're not using it if you want to be extra safe.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited by tallbl0nde, , Reason: Update supported formats

ProxyCell

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thank you for the app!
It looks absolutely lovely.

This isn't a request or complaint: does this support AAC files?
I'm really not trying to start a format war.

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This hasn't had a release in over a year... Will it get more updates, or is the project dead in the water already?
After starting a job as a full-time software engineer, I don't really have the enthusiasm to come home and spend even more hours pulling my hair out over getting some 0's and 1's to behave correctly :')

I wouldn't call it dead technically, if there's anything big that breaks I'll do my best to fix it but I'm not interested in developing for the Switch anymore tbh. But as it's open source anyone else is welcome to adopt the project and extend it in however they want :)

Allen-R

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Finally!!! All 755 Tracks are now detected in TriPlayer after checking & renaming them using this as a guideline:

A while ago (maybe around ~2pm? UTC +8), I thought TriPlayer had a limit and maybe I had put too many music files that it's just stuck in some kind of loading loop. At first, I thought it needed to take some time but after maybe an hour it was still "loading." Turns out it really was just a filename problem.

TIL this was a thing:
1660958061214.png

Amtiaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, please can anybody advise if it is possible to transfer the complete Triplayer / album settings to another Nintendo Switch? I have spent hours renaming / adding mp3 's to specific albums as I wish. But when I transfer the music folder from one SD card to another, it all resets again to what order I DONT want!! I am hoping there is some database / file I can just copy across to SD card 2, which will hopefully retain the album order that I have setup on SD card 1........ I love forward to hearing from any of you. Many thanks

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, please can anybody advise if it is possible to transfer the complete Triplayer / album settings to another Nintendo Switch? I have spent hours renaming / adding mp3 's to specific albums as I wish. But when I transfer the music folder from one SD card to another, it all resets again to what order I DONT want!! I am hoping there is some database / file I can just copy across to SD card 2, which will hopefully retain the album order that I have setup on SD card 1........ I love forward to hearing from any of you. Many thanks
Found these in the source code. Gonna guess the first one is what you were missing.
const std::string ConfigFolder = "/config/TriPlayer/";
const std::string SwitchFolder = "/switch/TriPlayer/";

Amtiaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Found these in the source code. Gonna guess the first one is what you were missing.
const std::string ConfigFolder = "/config/TriPlayer/";
const std::string SwitchFolder = "/switch/TriPlayer/";
Dave, thanks so much for your kind response, its greatly appreciated. Ive already tried copying the config / triplayer folder as well as the Switch / Triplayer folder from original MicroSD to SD 2 with no affect at all. Have you any other suggestions that I could try please?? Im going on vacation in four weeks time & did not want to spend hours doing the same re-programming on Switch No. 2, if that makes sense. With regards

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, thanks so much for your kind response, its greatly appreciated. Ive already tried copying the config / triplayer folder as well as the Switch / Triplayer folder from original MicroSD to SD 2 with no affect at all. Have you any other suggestions that I could try please?? Im going on vacation in four weeks time & did not want to spend hours doing the same re-programming on Switch No. 2, if that makes sense. With regards
Sorry, I'm out of ideas honestly - as far as I can see, the sqlite database that presumably stores this kind of info lives in the /switch/TriPlayer folder. Hopefully you can get more help from @tallbl0nde or another user of the app.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does anyone know if the fork from previous post works on 17.00 ? And atmo latest release ?

Edit : works on 17.00 and latest atmosphere 1.6.2

Last edited by Maupiti,

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, i have a problem, im using the latest Tesla menu, ovl loader and TriPlayer. But when the SysModule is running and trying to use the overlay of Triplayer the system crashs. No other Sysmodules are active. I'm using 16.0.3 and ams 1.5.4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUuaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJzIGlzIDIwIGRv... +1