Hacking Trimming questions

Duplicated

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
59
Trophies
0
XP
181
Country
United States
I think I've read somewhere that Acekard 2.1 has auto-trimming feature in it. If I use Acekard to trim my rom, would it cause my rom to become trash??

I also heard that if you trim the rom, some feature like wifi play and download play might disappear. Is it true? and which trimming program's the best?
 

Duplicated

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
59
Trophies
0
XP
181
Country
United States
It seems to me that NDSTokyo's the most popular one
smile.gif


Thank you for everyone's opinion.
 

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
1,833
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
UK
XP
446
Country
zero383 said:
I know AKAIO has a trimming feature but I've never used it. I use Rominator. It has a "Safe" trimming option for Wifi games so they will work correctly.

Rominator 2008
I've been using Rominator on my Mac. Where is this safe trim option? I've just been right clicking the ROM then selecting Trim, could this cause problems with WiFi/download play?
 

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
2,338
Trophies
0
Age
35
Location
Outer Space
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
391
Country
Canada
ShatteredScreens said:
zero383 said:
I know AKAIO has a trimming feature but I've never used it. I use Rominator. It has a "Safe" trimming option for Wifi games so they will work correctly.

Rominator 2008
I've been using Rominator on my Mac. Where is this safe trim option? I've just been right clicking the ROM then selecting Trim, could this cause problems with WiFi/download play?

Look in the Preferences, do you have 'Safe Trim' checked in the Flashing section?
 

doyama

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
1,288
Trophies
0
XP
171
Country
United States
I 'think' the auto-trim function for the AKAIO is used for the RPG. The RPG has an SD slot and NAND memory. So when you copy from your SD to NAND, you have an option to trim the rom to save NAND space. (again I'm not 100% sure of this)

Though personally I've found that as a ROM gets larger in size, trimming it becomes less and less useful. Since the cost to the developer gets higher as the cart size gets larger, they have an incentive to fill up the existing space to get better art/music/data in, but also to keep it under a limit so they don't have to pay the increased cost of having more memory on the cart.
 

sphinx.djc

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
128
Trophies
0
Location
GTA, Ontario
XP
99
Country
Canada
Sorry but I have to ask... whats trimming?
yaynds.gif


I'm gonna try my own luck and guess it must have something to do with shaving off some size off ROMs or something, am I right? And whats its purpose and how does it help?
 

HaniKazmi

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
1,657
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Manchester
Website
Visit site
XP
338
Country
sphinx.djc said:
Sorry but I have to ask... whats trimming?
yaynds.gif


I'm gonna try my own luck and guess it must have something to do with shaving off some size off ROMs or something, am I right? And whats its purpose and how does it help?
You're correct. The advantage is it takes up less space on your hardrive/flashcard, allowing you to fit more games on.
 

sphinx.djc

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
128
Trophies
0
Location
GTA, Ontario
XP
99
Country
Canada
HaniKazmi said:
sphinx.djc said:
Sorry but I have to ask... whats trimming?
yaynds.gif


I'm gonna try my own luck and guess it must have something to do with shaving off some size off ROMs or something, am I right? And whats its purpose and how does it help?
You're correct. The advantage is it takes up less space on your hardrive/flashcard, allowing you to fit more games on.

So does it improve gameplay or anything like that?
 

logical thinker

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
567
Trophies
0
Age
10
Website
Visit site
XP
92
Country
doyama said:
I 'think' the auto-trim function for the AKAIO is used for the RPG. The RPG has an SD slot and NAND memory. So when you copy from your SD to NAND, you have an option to trim the rom to save NAND space. (again I'm not 100% sure of this)
What if you copy to a different folder?
 

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    IanSkinner1982 @ IanSkinner1982: Why are you so beat?