OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hi guys
whats your thougths on this ie do they about work the same?
just got some trimed and never used them b4, there a gift for some one on a dstt , you think there ok??

thanks guys

swf3

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks guys
if it ok i can p.m you where i got them from and you can have a look? and tell me there ok?
they come trimed thats what i worried for. didnt know this when getting them, and dont have any time to try them out for to long

thanks

fma

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone ever create a list of games that can be trimmed, and how much MB you save?
unsure.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fma said:
Did anyone ever create a list of games that can be trimmed, and how much MB you save?
unsure.gif
I don't believe it's been done. If you use a trimmer like Rominator, it tells you how much space it'll trim before you trim it. At any rate, it depends on the game. A good example of a decent trim size was Final Fantasy 3 DS. The original rom was 128MB, but it trimmed to I believe about 90MB. Big savings in space right?

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
MyauChanDesu said:
I'm sure that has been some games that had problems with download play when trimmed.
Only if you use a bad trimmer. If they are trimmed properly they work exactly the same as if they were untrimmed. NDSTokyoTrim is the way to go.

That's what I used.
lecture.gif

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A couple of games used to be trimmed in a way that they would stop online/download play from working but now the trimmers leave a little extra data on it to stop the problem.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember there was a game that was 128mb. It got trimmed and went down to 65 mb. lol they just went overboard by 1 or 2 mb. Such a waste.

Jalabaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo.. let me get this straight.
And before I get lambasted for asking a dumb question, Yes, I did search the forums for an answer. Maybe not 45 minutes of searching, but I put in at least 12 good solid minutes of effort.

A rom trimmer simply cuts out unnecessary data that is put there by developers as a sort of filler?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Jalabaster said:
Soo.. let me get this straight.
And before I get lambasted for asking a dumb question, Yes, I did search the forums for an answer. Maybe not 45 minutes of searching, but I put in at least 12 good solid minutes of effort.

A rom trimmer simply cuts out unnecessary data that is put there by developers as a sort of filler?

The physical carts that NDS games are stored on only come in set sizes, 8Mb, 16Mb, 32Mb etc. If you're a publisher and your game is 24.3Mb, you have to put it on a 32Mb cart because it won't fit on a 16Mb one. When the game is dumped, the entirety of the 32Mb is dumped, including the blank space at the end, which is taken up by zeros. A rom trimmer strips these zeros off to take the rom back down to 24.3Mb.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
fma said:
unsure.gif
I don't believe it's been done. If you use a trimmer like Rominator, it tells you how much space it'll trim before you trim it. At any rate, it depends on the game. A good example of a decent trim size was Final Fantasy 3 DS. The original rom was 128MB, but it trimmed to I believe about 90MB. Big savings in space right?
Summon Night - Twin Age
128MB > 66MB

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I use NDSTokyoTrimmer, and the only game I know where trimming might "ruin" the ROM is Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, both the (J) and the (E) version. It takes a ridiculously small amount of space (something like 100KBs or so) and leads to a white screen on R4. EVERY other game I downloaded, trimmed and played never had a single side effect.

If you're still "afraid" of doing it, here's a tip: in case you have a backup of your ROMs on your hard drive or DVDs or whatever, leave 'em zipped but untrimmed. There's no difference size between a trimmed and untrimmed ROM when zipped. Only trim those you're going to pass to your flashcard, and when you're going to do it. Problem solved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free