Trick PC into thinking I have 360 controller

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by yusuo, Sep 25, 2012.

Sep 25, 2012
  1. yusuo
    OP

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    While cruising around the temp I noticed someone mention that there was a program that basically run on your PC and makes it think that any Joypad you have connected is a 360 Joypad, which obviously opens up generic joypad support to a lot more games.

I cant find the post I read anywhere so I was hoping that someone could enlighten me to the name of the program and where I could get it from. If I remember correctly it began with a M.

Thanks in advance guys

2. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    you mean this program?

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

3. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks Pong, ill give it a go later on, just to clarify I should be able to get my generic joypad to work with 360 joypad compatible games with this program, right?

4. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    yea that the one

doesnt work with all games but works with most

5. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks again, ill give that a play later

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Proper analogue stuff is nice I know, but might it instead be worth coming the other way and using joy2key or an equivalent to turn your pad into what the computer thinks is a keyboard?

7. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thats obviously a route i would be interested in following as well, thanks FAST

8. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    What you were thinking about might have been MotionInJoy, that makes the PC think a PS3 controller is an Xbox 360 one. It only works with PS3 controllers AFAIK though.

9. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just be aware that numerous console-ports on the PC will force[/i] their Xbox control schemes on you if the game detects an Xbox 360 controller. If all you're wanting is joypad support, go the route of Joy2Key, which offers more customization/optimization in layouts. Otherwise, when you do run into a rogue game that forces the controls (the latest being Borderlands 2), you may sometimes have no other choice but to use their setup.

This isn't too bad for most players, but for my disabled brother, who uses Joy2Key to play his games and control his computer, the forced-controls often lock him out of ever enjoying the game, as not all the buttons are accessible to him, and some of the forced games don't allow customization of the layouts.

10. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    Borderlands 2 allows layout change, it just takes a bit to set up, have to edit Init and junk.

11. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    The thing is, when most PC games detect an xbox360 controller, automatically set the right buttons and axes for you, and instead of getting keyboard bindings icons during tutorials or gameplay, you get the corresponding 360 controller layout and buttons, which is much better then tab, ctrl, enter and so on.

Therefore I would recommend the xbox360 ce, once you set up your controller in the ini file (AND YOU CAN SET IT UP ANY WAY YOU WANT, ASSIGN YOUR buttons to whatever 360 controller button you prefer ) then you'll be all set for every game.
    And not unlike joy2key, you can customize your button presses ( in case the game doesn't allow the remapping ) and still the game will think you are using a 360 controller.

12. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    I will get a 360 controller when I have some spare cash as they are nice controllers but for stuff like walking dead, and the FF7 re-release I think i'll just use joy2key, I like the versatility of it more