ROM Hack Translating

quikshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I'm here again with another question. Well, I'm planning to translate a Pokemon Diamond ROM to portuguese (BRA) beacuse i have a cousin who absolutely loves that game and he's from Brasil. So my question is, is there any guide on how to translate? And if so what are the links please? Is translating a heft task, or is it one that requires knowledge of another language??

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
www.romhacking.net/start

And use the search button, those kind of questions have been answered tons of times, also you can use google to search for "how to translate roms"
or look at the stickies in this board.
dry.gif

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
www.romhacking.net/start

And use the search button, those kind of questions have been answered tons of times, also you can use google to search for "how to translate roms"
or look at the stickies in this board.
dry.gif
Or you can let someone else who knows what he/she is talking about respond. He's not going to find this in any sticky or at romhacking.net, did you know that? So rather than give such a generic and pathetic answer, just leave it to some one who knows what to do, post on what to do.
After all he did not ask, "how can I translate a game". He asked about a specific game and if you have no knowledge of that specific game just don't respond (unless no one else has done so in a reasonable amount of time).

Now that that's out of the way:
________________________________________________________________________________

What you need to do is get thenewpoketext: loadingNOW's programs

Put the rom you want to translate in the same directory as thenewpoketext and also download ndstool: ndstool
and put it in the same directory.

Then run thenewpoketext and enter the name of your rom (example: I name my pearl one, pkmp.nds, so I would enter pkmp.nds.

Then you can press enter , or type h and then press enter to get all the options.

You can use the getall option to get an xml file with all the text. Edit the xml with a text editor the use the patch option. Make sure to change the "change=false" to "change=true" for the parts you are changing.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Perhaps it's YOU the one that needs to look around before they open their mouth, SCVgeo. There is a sticky on ROM hacking with thorough instructions on the subject. It also contains Pokemon-specific links which I'm sure would help TC.

If you would have also taken some time to look around, you would have noticed that this question gets asked a lot.

And by the way:

or is it one that requires knowledge of another language??

How else do you plan on translating the game to another language if you have no knowledge of the language? Unless you're planning on doing a quick google translate... but in that case, your cousin will probably be even more confused than when it was in Japanese.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
SCVgeo said:
Or you can let someone else who knows what he/she is talking about respond.
Do search around for me, I think I know what I'm talking about. Giving him a link to a text editing utility won't solve all of his problems unless he only plans to do a half-assed translation without any translated graphics also your link won't help him compile a patch once he's done with the translation part and there are many more things I'm bored to type so please think before trying to act like the know-it-all guy.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Then take a look HERE and HERE.

I'm warning you though... ROM hacking and translating is pretty hard, especially if you're doing it yourself. It will take you a couple months to translate such a huge game (Pokemon Platinum), so be ready for that. Not only that, but as I'm sure you're aware, translating isn't just opening a .txt file and changing all the English to Portuguese. There's a LOT more than that involved.

PS: I'm sure you know, but the English version of Pokemon Platinum isn't out yet. So unless you can translate from Japanese to Portuguese, you're gonna have to wait until the English version comes out.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
Do search around for me, I think I know what I'm talking about. Giving him a link to a text editing utility won't solve all of his problems unless he only plans to do a half-assed translation without any translated graphics also your link won't help him compile a patch once he's done with the translation part and there are many more things I'm bored to type so please think before trying to act like the know-it-all guy.
Well, I never said I am a know it all guy. But again, he asked specifically about pokemon diamond for which I am an expert. Thus, I know how that game works and for all but a few things, say 95%, that will be enough. Once he asks how to translate the few other things I have custom made programs that will be able to help him. Plus, I see alot of your post and I would not had said what I said if I did not think it was appropriate.

QUOTE(War @ Jan 31 2009, 09:47 AM) Then take a look HERE and HERE.

I'm warning you though... ROM hacking and translating is pretty hard, especially if you're doing it yourself. It will take you a couple months to translate such a huge game (Pokemon Platinum), so be ready for that. Not only that, but as I'm sure you're aware, translating isn't just opening a .txt file and changing all the English to Portuguese. There's a LOT more than that involved.

PS: I'm sure you know, but the English version of Pokemon Platinum isn't out yet. So unless you can translate from Japanese to Portuguese, you're gonna have to wait until the English version comes out.
He said Pokemon Diamond.

Also if you knew about thenewpoketext you would know its is as simple as just changing all the English to Portuguese. loadingNOW did most of the hard work for you.
But, War is correct in that it will take a couple of months. Maybe one month if you work fast.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
quikshadow said:
Um, So i researched around and stuff, and i was wondering. Isn't there anything shorter? Like just to edit text?
Yes, look at the stuff I said in my first post in this thread. Follow the instructions. Let me know if you get stuck.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
quikshadow said:
Um, So i researched around and stuff, and i was wondering. Isn't there anything shorter? Like just to edit text?
That's why I told you he needs some basic knowledge first SCVgeo ;P
Sorry for being an ass before.
No problem, I just got a bit frustrated of seeing such a response when editing the text for Pokemon DPP is so easy, as long as you are up to date with DPP hacking. My guess is he went to romhacking.net/start and did not find what he need. He probably did not follow my instructions otherwise he would be well into his translation.

If he was trying to become a DPP ROM hacker then, sure, I would point him to a tutorial on the basics he needs (I made on specifically for hacking DPP). But all he wants to do is translate. While it may not be a trivial task for other games it is for Pokemon DPP, thanks to loadingNOW.

Anyways so the instructions are a bit more clear I took some screen shots (see spoiler below, I did not take screen shots of all the in game changes).

1) Make sure you have thenewpoketext, ndstool and your rom in the same directory, preferably in a folder on the desktop.
2) open thenewpoketext and type the name of your rom. (I had already unpacked mine so I did not need to put pkmp.nds, rather I just typed pkmp.
3)use the getall function to extract all the text into an xml.
4)Find the text you want to edit, edit and save. Make sure to set change to true in the appropriate "file".
5)patch the changes to msg.narc (this is not something you will see, but that is what is happening).
6)rebuild the rom with "mkrom".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical details you might wonder about:
The structure of the xml is basically a group of "files", identified by their file id.
Within each file are text entries.

This structure was implemented like that based on the structure of the decrypted text.

thenewpoketext.jpg

origdptext.jpg

modifieddptext.jpg

patching.jpg

mkrom.jpg

edited1.jpg
edited2.jpg
edited3.jpg
edited4.jpg

unneon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
quikshadow said:
Lol I'm here again with another question. Well, I'm planning to translate a Pokemon Diamond ROM to portuguese (BRA) beacuse i have a cousin who absolutely loves that game and he's from Brasil. So my question is, is there any guide on how to translate? And if so what are the links please? Is translating a heft task, or is it one that requires knowledge of another language??
I believe someone are already translating this game to portuguese from brazil: http://www.romhacking.trd.br/index.php?topic=4398.0
try to speak with who are doing the translation, maybe he accepts your help
yaynds.gif

----
Eu acho que alguém ja está traduzindo para português do Brasil: http://www.romhacking.trd.br/index.php?topic=4398.0
Tente falar com quem está traduzindo, talvez ele aceite sua ajuda
yaynds.gif

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
quikshadow said:
Well i renamed it to xml, and got it to xml file. now how do i edit every time i open it it goes to the internet web page, and shows everthing, but i cant edit it.
You have to go to "open with" and choose a text editor. Notepad should be enough.

EDIT: By the way, please use the edit button when you have something else to add and no one has responded yet before your previous post.

quikshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SCVgeo said:
quikshadow said:
Well i renamed it to xml, and got it to xml file. now how do i edit every time i open it it goes to the internet web page, and shows everthing, but i cant edit it.
You have to go to "open with" and choose a text editor. Notepad should be enough.

EDIT: By the way, please use the edit button when you have something else to add and no one has responded yet before your previous post.

Alright thanks^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.