Transferring data from "dead" USB flash drive?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Faxanadu, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Faxanadu
    OP

Faxanadu Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Hey guys, I've been storing Wii U game data on a 32GB flash drive, and the system is no longer acknowledging it. It tries to access the flash drive briefly (blinking LED) but then tells me nothing is connected. Didn't realize that Nintendo "doesn't recommend" flash drives because of issues like this, and now I have a bunch of saves stuck in limbo.

I'm not super tech-savvy, so I came here to ask if there was a way to transfer the data to another device? I know that it's a proprietary format so I can't access the files via PC... but is it possible to do something like a byte-by-byte copy to a hard drive?

2. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Um, yes, there are programs for your PC that should just read it raw, assuming it can still access it.

3. Faxanadu
    OP

Faxanadu Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Awesome, I'd love to try. Any recommendations on what programs to use, or where to find them?

And should I assume that, if WERE able to transfer the 32GB contents over to a 1TB hard drive, my Wii U will assume the hard drive just has 32GB of storage capacity?

4. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
  5. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    you can use aconis True Image home to make a 1:1 image of the flash drive. you can then place the image on a new flash drive that is 32gb or larger. i have tried this and i know it works

6. Faxanadu
    OP

Faxanadu Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Thanks guys. I've downloaded both programs and will report back with my results.

NWPlayer123 likes this.
  7. Faxanadu
    OP

Faxanadu Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    True Image didn't read the drive. TestDisk did though, and I created an image.

Used a third tool to transfer the image to another USB flash drive of the same size, and got the same results as before. Does not load data, does not acknowledge the drive in the Wii U file management menu. However it does recognize when the USB is removed, as it gives me a "don't remove USB devices while the power is on" notification.

So, same result. I will give it another try with an external hard drive.

8. Faxanadu
    OP

Faxanadu Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Can't figure out how to re-image my external hard drive with True Image, TestDisk, or "USB Image Tool". Any suggestions/advice/education?