Transfering games from pc to wii over network

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by GurliGebis, Oct 10, 2009.

Oct 10, 2009
  1. GurliGebis
    OP

Newcomer GurliGebis Member

Denmark
    I was wondering, if there is a homebrew tool that can be used to transfer games over the network between my PC and the USB harddrive connected to the Wii, while it is still connected to the Wii?

The harddrive is placed so it requires quiet an efford to get it unplugged and connected to the PC, so it would be a real time saver (even though the network is slower that USB directly).

2. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    none that i know of but still it would be pointess, it would take less time to plugin the HDD into the pc then transfer even a small game over wifi, thats why none have been made

3. GurliGebis
    OP

Denmark
    I've got RJ45 connection to it, so it goes faster :-)

And still, the harddrive is placed so it's quiet difficult to unplug, so doing it over the network would still be a better option - the speed doesn't matter that much.

4. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Put it somewhere else, so its easier to access.

5. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    ethernet cable or not the application deosnt exsist to tranfer games from a pc to a WBFS drive and i dont think it will ever be coded as its really pointless to anyone even if a HDD is inconveniently placed by the user a coder wont try to make one for that single reason alone

either get a usb powered one or move the HDD in a better place

6. GurliGebis
    OP

Denmark
    Okay :-)

Well, it was worth a try, thanks anyway :-)

7. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    FTPii works to transfer files thru the network to an attached USB hard drive... but I am assuming that you want to add games to a WBFS partition, in which case, as posted above, you are out of luck (for now).

8. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    All needed applications DO exist, just not in one single Tool.
    Well and its dead slow for me (~140kb/s), but I use a crappy wifi connection.
    Wired should be faster.

You will also need some basic Linux experience.
    You might need to run Linux on your Computer (for nbd-client).

Basicaly works like this:

1 install debian on wii (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=177262)
    2 install network block device (http://nbd.sourceforge.net/)
    2a ... server on wii (aptitude install nbd-server)
    2b ... client on computer (depends on os/distri)
    3 run server on wii & client on pc
    4 access remote disk as if it was local (use whatever wbfs-manager you like)

I will try to help with problems, but not guide by hand.
    If you dont know what to do at all, this method is not for you.
    PM will not work, try posting.

9. GurliGebis
    OP

Denmark
    Hehe, thats too much to make of it :-)

10. moparisthebest

Newcomer moparisthebest Newbie

United States
    A better solution would be a loader (neogamma, softchip, gecko os, etc) that would load a game from a SMB share over the network. Has that ever been tried before?

11. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    The new WODE device might be able to support this function, but that isnt confirmed and will cost you an extra 100-125 us dollars. Go out and buy another DC power adapter (should be able to find one for dirt cheap). Get another usb cable (again, dirt cheap) and keep one set of cables by ur wii and one set by ur PC, so all you gotta do is unplug ur HDD and move it. Uber simple, uber cheap.

12. superbob

Member superbob GBAtemp Regular

France
    1) It would need a new "kind" of IOS functions that can correctly understand the SMB/CIFS stack.
    2) It would be limited by the speed of the connection (WiFi for almost everyone, ethernet just for a few people).

So first point means that it would be complicated and it would need someone who would invest himself in it for a lot of time (would you be ready to do that ?)
    Second means the when code is done, it may not run at all because of the network latency. Actually you can see bugs because of 3x speed limit of DVD+/-R, so I think it may be horrible through a WiFi network.

So, the idea is not bad, but it seems unlikely.

13. moparisthebest

Newcomer moparisthebest Newbie

United States
    I was considering that the speed of 802.11g would be the limiting factor in such a system, it wouldn't be a problem with small games such as Wii Chess or maybe even Wii Sports, but games that use the entire disc, or even dual layer games probably wouldn't work at all. Unless we could rig up a USB>ethernet adapter that would be cheap and easy to build, ideally it could even operate at Gigabit (1000base-t) speeds (edit: of course that would be limited by the USB 2.0 speed).

It's interesting to think about anyway, but I'm more interested in working on various emulators on the wii at the moment. [​IMG]