Hacking Touchscreen not working 3ds, Ds titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I'm really confused as to why this could happen. A similar situation happened to me I think 1/2 years ago? (I didn't have CFW then) Doesn't matter. My touchscreen stopped working when I was playing Pokemon OR and it always seemed to stay on one spot. Sometimes it would work normally, sometimes it wouldn't. I solved the problem when i saw my touchscreen is really dirty so I just cleaned it up with a toothbrush and it works better than ever now.

Pretty sure it's a technical issue, but it is something you can try nonetheless.

Reactions: Confused3dsUser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My system is actually a n3ds (the non XL version)
Well, that kinda rules out old or degraded hardware theory.

And sorry for not phrasing that correctly. With my limited knowledge of the 3ds and how it works, is it possible to factory format everything on the 3ds. Maybe a file is corrupted somewhere (I'm not sure)? Unless you think it's a hardware problem.
Ah, you mean software reset everything back to like-new condition like how it came from the factory. The CTRTransfer from all three (GodMode9, Decrypt9, and Type D9) are like doing Format System Memory without losing your personal user profile. They vary in what they leave intact where Decrypt9 (original, older program) is considered the most destructive.

I'm not familiar with DSi mode, but there could be something wrong with how your n3DS loads its TWL_FIRM in regards with the TWLNAND drive. We would have to contact those who are most familiar with this aspect of the 3DS.

@Robz8, the Coolest Retro Gamer, would you happen to know anything about touchscreen calibration discrepancy where it works fine in 3DS mode but all screwy in DS mode?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Confused3dsUser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for helping me, again. I have work in around 4 hours and havent slept yet. I'll make sure to try any suggestions when I get back from work. ^_^

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Confused3dsUser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slight hiccup, I drug the flash.bin to my sd card, and ran the .3dsx NVRAMtool. I "pressed B to write nvram.bin to the 3ds" and I got an error opening nvram.bin. So I renamed flash.bin to nvram.bin. I get the same error. Where am I supposed to place the file?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slight hiccup, I drug the flash.bin to my sd card, and ran the .3dsx NVRAMtool. I "pressed B to write nvram.bin to the 3ds" and I got an error opening nvram.bin. So I renamed flash.bin to nvram.bin. I get the same error. Where am I supposed to place the file?
What happens when you:
  • Press X to fix nvram.bin crc16s
and
  • Press A to dump nvram.bin
??

Edit -
  1. Try the fix crc16s option first and check if the DS mode touchscreen works.
  2. If it doesn't, dump your current, old nvram.bin.
  3. Keep the old copy and swap the replace at sdmc:/3ds/nvram.bin.
  4. Press B to write nvram.bin to 3DS.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If the NVRAM stuff fails aswell something you can try is removing the battery and holding power for serveral seconds then insert the battery again. Chances are low it does anything but it's worth a shot.

Confused3dsUser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I press X to fix nvram.bin crc16s :

Error opening nvram.bin
load 00000001
nvram.bin has bad crc16s 00001E00 - fix success!

When I press A to dump nvram.bin :

dump 00000000

Edit - I'll try removing the battery and try that too

Edit2 - checked my sd card and it seemed to dump it in the root of the 3ds folder, I'll see if it'll work now.

Edit3 - Accidently pressed B and wrote the wrong nvram.bin, tried to launch a ds title and it told me to power off my device. Replaced the old nvram.bin with the one provided in the tutorial. Pressed B, and it said write 00000000. Checked to see if anything changed, and the touchscreen is showing the same problems still.

Last edited by Confused3dsUser,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I press X to fix nvram.bin crc16s :

Error opening nvram.bin
load 00000001
nvram.bin has bad crc16s 00001E00 - fix success!

When I press A to dump nvram.bin :

dump 00000000

Edit - I'll try removing the battery and try that too

Edit2 - checked my sd card and it seemed to dump it in the root of the 3ds folder, I'll see if it'll work now.

Edit3 - Accidently pressed B and wrote the wrong nvram.bin, tried to launch a ds title and it told me to power off my device. Replaced the old nvram.bin with the one provided in the tutorial. Pressed B, and it said write 00000000. Checked to see if anything changed, and the touchscreen is showing the same problems still.

Can you verify when using the replacement nvram.bin, that it says NVRAM unbr at:
  • System Settings → Other Settings → Profile → Nintendo DS Profile
?

I forgot to add, to set the Nintendo DS profile, scroll through User Name, Birthday, and Region Settings before rechecking in Nintendo DS profile. It should update.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does say NVRAM unbr, where the username usually goes.
I used 3DS_NVRAMtool installing the flash.bin renamed as nvram.bin. After setting the Nintendo DS profile, I went back to Press X to fix nvram.bin crc16s, stating it had found an error with fix success.
Try the crc16s option again. Other than that, we could nothing else up our sleeves. :(

Confused3dsUser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went back to 3DS_NVRAMtool after setting up my Nintendo DS profile and Press X to fix nvram.bin crc16. It returned with a fix success. I went to test a DS title, and same problem is arising. It touches the very bottom right of the touch screen only. :( I do appreciate the troubleshooting and help you have offered me thus far. I find it weird it only affects my touch screen, and none of my buttons. I might have to buy a new 3ds to hack.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went back to 3DS_NVRAMtool after setting up my Nintendo DS profile and Press X to fix nvram.bin crc16. It returned with a fix success. I went to test a DS title, and same problem is arising. It touches the very bottom right of the touch screen only. :( I do appreciate the troubleshooting and help you have offered me thus far. I find it weird it only affects my touch screen, and none of my buttons. I might have to buy a new 3ds to hack.
PM sent.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm having a similar issue with chrono trigger DS. My touchscreen works fine with a bunch other DS games (pokemon black2, monster rancher DS, pokemon heartgold) but chrono trigger seems unresponsive.
I've installed everything the same way, following the guides here, and on the other games i had no issues. Any clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol