Gaming Touch Screen can't be calibrated

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently replaced the shell touch screen on my NDS lite and after screwing it up the first time I finally got the thing running. Trouble is, the touchscreen won't calibrate properly. In the calibration menu, no matter where I touch, the boxes cycle through the same three steps: top left, middle, bottom right. I also tried using the DiagnoSe DS homebrew and the pointer stays about a half-inch over the stylus for most of the screen, and when I move the stylus towards the bottom right the pointer sinks through the bottom of the screen.

My question is, is this the fault of getting a bum touch screen, or did I screw something up when I replaced it? I took it apart a second time and REALLY cleaned the sucker out, so I'm 99% positive there's no bits of dust stuck between the screens. I got the replacement screen off DX and all the reviews stated that the screen worked perfectly, so I'm not really sure what's going on here.

Any answers are appreciated!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you sure that there case is not putting any pressure on the touchscreen itself? Does it have some "breathing space" (there should be some stock spacers underneath it I believe)? Did you paste a screen protector over it yet (that may influence calibration)?

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that there case is not putting any pressure on the touchscreen itself? Does it have some "breathing space" (there should be some stock spacers underneath it I believe)? Did you paste a screen protector over it yet (that may influence calibration)?
There's no screen protector, and yeah I left the black rubber pad between the touchscreen and the LCD screen. Actually I just played with the DS after your post and I managed to get through the calibration screen but the touchscreen is still messed up (I purposefully clicked outside the red boxes to get it to register). I played with DiagnoSe again and as I move the stylus up and down the screen, the pointer gets closer to the stylus towards the top and then slowly lags behind as I drag downwards. I also still have the sinking problem when I move from left to right on the bottom of the touchscreen. When I place the stylus at the very bottom-left corner of the touchscreen the pointer is about 3/4 of an inch above it, and stays level as I drag along the bottom of the touchscreen until about an inch from the right, where it curves down towards the stylus. Soo.. yeah.

Also, another point about the black rubber lining, I know I left it there but I didn't check it when I re-cleaned between the screens. Could that potentially be the problem? Could a gap be causing the sinking pointer issue?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's no screen protector, and yeah I left the black rubber pad between the touchscreen and the LCD screen. Actually I just played with the DS after your post and I managed to get through the calibration screen but the touchscreen is still messed up (I purposefully clicked outside the red boxes to get it to register). I played with DiagnoSe again and as I move the stylus up and down the screen, the pointer gets closer to the stylus towards the top and then slowly lags behind as I drag downwards. I also still have the sinking problem when I move from left to right on the bottom of the touchscreen. When I place the stylus at the very bottom-left corner of the touchscreen the pointer is about 3/4 of an inch above it, and stays level as I drag along the bottom of the touchscreen until about an inch from the right, where it curves down towards the stylus. Soo.. yeah.

Also, another point about the black rubber lining, I know I left it there but I didn't check it when I re-cleaned between the screens. Could that potentially be the problem? Could a gap be causing the sinking pointer issue?
Might be, but such a huge mis-match may also suggest that the connector isn't properly aligned. I suggest dismantling again and re-assembling the unit, this is clearly a hardware issue.

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Might be, but such a huge mis-match may also suggest that the connector isn't properly aligned. I suggest dismantling again and re-assembling the unit, this is clearly a hardware issue.
Aww crap. Again. Oh well.. By connector you mean the ribbon cables, right? Is it at ALL possible that the touchscreen itself could be the issue?

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww crap. Again. Oh well.. By connector you mean the ribbon cables, right? Is it at ALL possible that the touchscreen itself could be the issue?
You won't know until you find out - could be. You have to re-apply it and re-apply it again to make sure. ;) Nobody said it's gonna be easy... :P
Hah yeah. I'll give everything another look, if I still get issues I'll try getting a new touch screen. Thanks for the help sir!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]