Total noob looking for help

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Viktor Eriksson, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    Hi!

Im a total noob at this and want to know where to start.

My goal is to be able to randomize pokemon X/Y and ORAS, but I dont know where to start.
    Have been looking around internet and have found out that i need to do a romhack which look to be easiest done with homebrew and i think it was HANS.

My 3DSXL is on firmware 7.2.0-10E and I can make an Emunand from that. Can start homebrew with cubic ninja. But if I use cubic ninja I will have to change cart and Im not sure if that work with homebrew up. Also if you recommend me to upgrade Sysnand from 7.2 to 9.2 and if you recommend to upgrade Emunand to latest firmware.

Basicly my question is, where do I start and I wouldnt like to customice sysnand if not needed. Thinking about trying to put a homebrew .cia on sysnand tho.

2. OldGlass

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    just use browserhax as an entry-point to homebrew

3. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    Tried that. But do I have to put homebrew on sysnand then or is it enough to have it on sd card?

4. OldGlass

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    just place the Homebrew kit on the SD card, and use the browserhax QR code.

5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    their console is on 7.2.0-10. they can't use browserhax right now.

@Viktor Eriksson you should update emunand to the latest version, and preferably sysnand to 9.2.0-20. then you won't need to use cubic ninja. with emunand you can keep using CIAs and whatnot, even on the latest firmware. as it stands it's probably going to be hard to use any kind of romhacks.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update-(rxTools-3.0)

6. OldGlass

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    oh, then never mind. I thought any system firmware below 10.6 can use browserhax, but I guess that's not true.

7. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    yeah, now my 3ds wont allow me to access gateway. somehow it crashed... I think i have a nand backup from 4.5. if I get gateway to work, is it possible do downgrade sysnand with gateway or do I have to put it apart and conect it the console with my computer?

8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    do you have a gateway red card? you don't need to use the GW menu right now. what are you trying to do?

please don't downgrade it to 4.5.0-10. based on your version (7.2.0-10), you can update to 9.2.0-20 with the guide linked to above.

9. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    I have both red and blue gateway card. What I wanted to do earlier was downgrade the emunand to 7.2 and acsess homebrew by webpage. But, homebrew hasnt been acceceble on 7.2 as you described earlier, at least not on sysnand.
    Now homebrew hasnt been acceceble some tries.

Where I stand now I will try to upgrade sysnand to 9.2.0-20 and start over from there as long as this 7.2 version fails me.
    Or do you think I should do it some other way?

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    why are you trying to downgrade emunand to 7.2?
    the best things to do would probably be to update sysnand to 9.2.0-20, then update emunand to the latest version.

11. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    My firmware is 7.2 and I want to get to 9.2. (Reading your link now and will follow it later today or tomorrow).

Ok, thanks. Here is where i was lost. So best thing is to 1. Fix sysnand 9.2.0-20, then emunand newest firmware. 2. hack the rom and then randomize pokemon? (Have all the original games. Want to try to make them harder).

Also, have newer got homebrew to work on sysnand. It should work on both sysnand and emunand?

12. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    yes, that should be fine.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand?

13. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    With homebrew I hope to be able to use a program, (I think it was braindump) to be able to hack the rom. But, when i was using gateway emunand I had to use cubic ninja to open homebrew when browser hax didnt work. (Maby not supported).

Thats why I was thinking with homebrew on the SD card, it should be acceceble regardless if sysnand or emunand is used?

14. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    there is hblauncher_loader, which runs *hax. the same thing that browserhax and ninjhax run. you can install this in emunand.

https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/download/v1.1/hblauncher_loader_v1.1.zip

15. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    Alright. Will follow your link and hope this will work well and come back if needed.
    Thanx for your help! :)

16. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    This bugs me. Every time I enter the url my 3ds goes back to home screen and tells me an error has occured. Am I doing something wrong?

Is it an idea to format everything and start from scratch again?

Last edited by Viktor Eriksson, Jul 4, 2016
  17. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
  18. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Viktor Eriksson likes this.
  19. Viktor Eriksson
    OP

Viktor Eriksson Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2016
    Will try this tomorrow. When I empty the SD card, is it worth format so its compleatly empty? (When I put it in the console it wants to make an nintendo folder. I hope that is ok?

Also, when I back up sysnand 2 files creates. Only the one named sysnand.bin is supposed to be deleated?

20. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    no need to format right now, it won't help anything.

sysNAND.bin and sysNAND.bin.sha? yes you can delete both from the SD card once backed up.