Top screen yellow tint - looking for a fix

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Carrie, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Carrie
    OP

Carrie Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2011
    Hello again,

I just found out that the yellow tinted top screen is a somewhat common problem with both 3DS and 3DS XL. So far I've been lucky but the latest 3DS I purchased (firmware 1.01) unfortunately has this problem and it's very bothersome and visible, especially in the menu and DS games.

I think this forum is the best place on the internet to ask - is there any way to fix it via mods, homebrew, anything? I feel like some RGB adjustment sliders would give a large improvement. Is something like this even theoretically possible?

Another thing I wondered, perhaps a blue/purple tinted screen protector could help. I doubt any company manufactures such protectors though...

In other words, is there anything that can be done or do I just have to deal with it? :(

2. lismati

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Feb 24, 2010
    Poland
    Yes.
    I'm 100% sure there's no software way to fix that tint. Also, I've never heard about purple protectors, still, they may exist. Custom-made, maybe?

(Physics geek sidenote: I don't think purple protectors would help that much)

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Unfortunately, the yellow tint is a physical flaw of the screen. I too would imagine that fiddling with the LCD driver settings might improve the situation, but it wouldn't be an ideal fix as it would only make other colours display "all wrong".

4. Parasite X

Parasite X Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2009
    United States
    Katy Tx
    It could just be power saving mode my 3DS does the same thing when I use power saving mode its perfectly normal it just shows that the 3DS is using less power so the battery last longer

5. DarkKnigh_t

DarkKnigh_t GBAtemp Fan

Oct 30, 2013
    Croatia
    Zagreb, Croatia
    isnt the yellow tint in the plastic on the top screen?

6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    no, as not all have a yellow tint. it is the LCD itself. not all LCDs are made equal. color temp is one of those, every LCD panel manufactured has it's own color temp, for the 3ds, I have noticed both yellowish and purplish tints on the top lcd.

7. DarkKnigh_t

DarkKnigh_t GBAtemp Fan

Oct 30, 2013
    Croatia
    Zagreb, Croatia
    well then if its bothering some people the best way would be buy a new top screen not too expensive if it really bothers you

8. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Isn't the yellow tint something normal for the LCD?
    Each screen gives a little different tint.
    My XL gave purple i think, but if its that visible then somethings wrong with it.

9. DarkKnigh_t

DarkKnigh_t GBAtemp Fan

Oct 30, 2013
    Croatia
    Zagreb, Croatia
    My gf has a yellow tinted top screen and i always thought it was the crappy plastic in front of the lcd screen, but its not a big deal at least to me i could use it just fine, if its a problem to some people they should just replace the lcd and thats it no other way to fix it.

10. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    ftfy