Gaming Top 5 DS Games

fenthwick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. Final Fantasy IV(J) - An amazing game. The depth of the story is breath taking.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - The use of the stylus is flawless
3. The World Ends With You - The artstyle is really cool.
4. Meteos - Best puzzle game evah. The music and and gameplay is great.
5. Megaman XZ - Haven't seen this good megaman game since megaman X for the SNES.

Gian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kaos said:
darigaaz3 said:
EBA/Ouendan (Original plays at full speed, emulators/flashcarts run games at only 98-99%, so rhythm games are easier to play with original cartridges, another point in buying them)

Interesting. I didn't know this.

Can you post any evidence backing this up? I haven't noticed any games feeling slow.

You think you'd notice in a rhythm game.

I'd like to know, as well. I played Ouendan on a flashcart AND on an emulator.
And they both felt fine. 100% flashcart, maybe 98% - 100% on the emulator.

masvill20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mario Kart DS, The World Ends With You, Pokemon Diamond or Pearl, Animal Crossing Wild World, and the Advance Wars series in that order.

chaotic_geo

Trophies
Website
thegamingforum.org
XP
Country
1) Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
1500+ hours spent pleasantly on the competitive aspect, IV/Hidden power breeding, EV training and of course the epic battle. I am retired now, hopefully until the next proper DS game.

2) Metroid Prime: Hunters
Well an FPS on the DS that actually worked with kick-ass 3D graphics with Online God Damn Play!!! What more could you ask for?!?!?! Don't forget an awesome record via a beautiful hunter license and various ranks. 1000+ hours for me.

3) Ace Attorney series including Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice.
Wow, talk about a legendary story and humor in 1! Unforgettable series.

4) Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championships 2007/08
Big fan of the Yu-Gi-Oh series, portrayed excellently on the DS.

5) Animal Crossing: Wild World
Simply brilliant when it was released and its popularity then, you can't beat the Wi-Fi Features either. Countless hours of fun, fun and fun.

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
(1) Mario Party. My family loves playing family battles. Also it is a DS Download so you only need to buy 1 game!!!
(2) Animal Crossing. My wife and daughter are addicted to this.

hmmm. I will have to think before I add more. Most of the other really good ones have been named.

Jokiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. Jump! Ultimate Stars: All your favourite Shounen Jump characters in one big game! Play as Goku, Luffy,Naruto and MANY more in this amazing "Super Smash Bros looking" Beat em up! (Japan only though!)

2. Professor Layton and the Curious Village: A great game full of creative puzzles. Some are so hard they will make you want to break your DS apart! Combine all those puzzles with a decent story line, lovable characters, great dialoge and beautiful cartoon cutscenes! (Only buy this if you like puzzle games!)

3. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: Well, its Pokemon. You start your journey as a girl or boy. You pick a Pokemon and start your journey as a Pokemon trainer. In this game you get over 300 (400?) Pokemon, a long story line and best of all, an awesome WiFi support! Trade or battle your friends and see who's the true Pokemon Master! (Basically..its Pokemon)

4. Super Mario 64 DS: Well, if you havent played Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64, then get this game right away! Help Mario rescue princess Peach from the evil bowser. In this game you get great platforming, funny little mini-games, and if you want to unlock everything, it will take quite some time! (Even if you finished the n64 version, I would still get this game. It comes with updated graphics, 3 new characters to play with,funny mini-games, some new worlds to explore and 30 more stars than the last game!)

5. Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice series: Take the role as a prosectutor and prove to the judge that your clients arent guilty. Follow the great story lines and lovable characters in this "interactive novel game"! (You have to be into games like this to like it, and be prepared for alot of reading, because that is..well..what the game is about.) But I would really give it a try).

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (This one turned me into a Castlevania fan. Probably my favourite DS game ever)

2. Elite Beat Agents (Everybody loves EBA)

3. Phoenix Wright 1,2,3 (They're all good)

4. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Got bored with it eventually, but still spent countless hours on it)

5. Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime (Looks childish, not too difficult, but for some reason I enjoyed it all the way from beginning to end)

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Final Fantasy III: I love that game, it was the first game I got, played and beaten on DS, and it was amazing for me!!

New Super Mario Bros./Super Mario 64 DS: Which ever game of this two you choose, you won't go wrong, NSMB is a "retro" new style Mario, and Mario 64 is a 3D game with amazing graphics..

Ninja Gaiden: Also the graphics that are breathtaking, complete touch control of the game and great story line..

Zelda - Phantom Hourglass: Nintendo Classic in the DS style, also complete touch control, but it works great..

Castlevania (both): Great games that are well known, Down of Sorrow is direct sequel to GBAs Aria of Sorrow..

There are more games that are amazing and great:
Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Pokemons, Elite Beat Agents, Dragon Warrior IV, Final Fantasy XII: Revanant Wings, Mario Kart DS and list goes on.......

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. Ninja Gaiden DS. I've been a huge Ninja gaiden fan for awhile, and this game didn't let down. There were a few problems, such as being very short, and having very limited amount of combos that were able to be used. However, this is the only game that game me that "feeling" where I just couldn't put it down. The only DS game where I actually felt like I was "addicted".

2. Pheonix wright: Ace attorney. I've played all of them (But didn't beat any of them
laugh.gif
), and really enjoy it. I really like Apollo justice.

3. Advanced wars: Days of Ruin. Great game, really. I played the first Advanced wars on the GBA, and liked it. But I didn't like that it didn't give a true war feeling. It was kinda kiddy. But Days of Ruin changed everything. It had a fairly decent plot, and a few twists here and there. Very polished, and challenging.

4. Elite beat agents: A game I actually BOUGHT. Great gameplay (A not so good music list, but redeemed by the gameplay), and good fun. Unfortunately, most of my friends find it "retarded". I think it would've sold better if it weren't agents. Back on topic, it was a helluva good game. It also ruined my touchscreen, so make sure to get a screen protecter, unless you're careful.

5. Pokemon Diamond. Needs no explaination.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
1. Phoenix Wright (can't decide for one) - The story is very creative and well written, making you always want to know what will happen, the characters are all very charismatic and the game makes you laugh a lot! Reminds me of classic LucasArts adventure games.. When I first heard of the idea of a game about a lawyer, I never imagined it could be so good.

2. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Best use of the DS hardware on a game! And it's Zelda (just a little too easy :/)

3. Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan 2 - very original and addicting music game, and the stories on the songs are really funny, love the style in this game!

4. Mario Kart DS - best in the series, got the best from all the other games and put it in one, with online multiplayer!

5. Contra 4 - Great use of the 2 screens with a very cool old school felling, challenging but fun and addicting at the same time..

darigaaz3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Gian said:
Kaos said:
darigaaz3 said:
EBA/Ouendan (Original plays at full speed, emulators/flashcarts run games at only 98-99%, so rhythm games are easier to play with original cartridges, another point in buying them)

Can you post any evidence backing this up? I haven't noticed any games feeling slow.

Don't really have any evidence to back that up although it has been discussed in the past. It might not be so noticeable in Ouendan (Jap and all that) but some stages in Chieftain becomes noticeably difficult with the rhythms going a bit later than the beats and more obvious when you reach Diva. Its not on all the songs but for some of them it is glaringly obvious. Perhaps its only on a few flashcard, mine is R4. Not sure if anyone else have that problem but very few people notice this unless the rhythm is out of sync with the beats. After all its just 1-2%, thats nothing compared to how smoothly the games been running.

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
darigaaz3 said:
Gian said:
Kaos said:
darigaaz3 said:

Don't really have any evidence to back that up although it has been discussed in the past. It might not be so noticeable in Ouendan (Jap and all that) but some stages in Chieftain becomes noticeably difficult with the rhythms going a bit later than the beats and more obvious when you reach Diva. Its not on all the songs but for some of them it is glaringly obvious. Perhaps its only on a few flashcard, mine is R4. Not sure if anyone else have that problem but very few people notice this unless the rhythm is out of sync with the beats. After all its just 1-2%, thats nothing compared to how smoothly the games been running.
Maybe it is the flashcart then. Another reason not to get the R4.

Taper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Jump! Ultimate Stars - Import only but worth it. It's Smash Bros style gameplay with a ton more depth and just about every single popular Manga character in existance. Plenty of translations out there as well.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship (most current is '08) - Must have for any TCG lover. Replay value is high w/online matches.

3. Panzer Tactics - Incredible depth, campaign mode and wifi matches to boot.

4. Super Robot Taisen W - Again, another import but one of my favorite games. Translation patch in beta but there are wikis with the menus translated.

5. New Super Mario Bros. - Can't go wrong with the classics. Especially when it's revisited and improved upon. Always fun to play.

Sendoh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
1. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Placed first because it does what video games should do: entertain throughout.
2. The World Ends With You Good use of stylus for combat.
3. Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Same reason as above, except it gets old fast.
4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness Prefer this to the Pokemon RPG, as it is actually not boring. Not for people who dislike rougelikes though.
5. Animal Crossing: Wild World Humor oriented life sim which will keep you distracted a few minutes a day.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
in no particular order:
-FFXII: RW
-Mario Kart
-TWEWY
-FFIII
-Pokemon D/P

Honorable Mentions:
-GeoWars: Galaxies
-Worms: Open Warfare 2
-Contact
-Contra 4
-Custom Robo Arena (for the gameplay ONLY, story was absolute shit)
-Lunar Knights
-Tetris
-Metroid Prime: Hunters
-AW:DoR
-Star Wars: Lethal Alliance (most hated it, but I like it)
-Lego Star Wars: The Complete saga

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm going to go a little different direction for you. This is a list of the top 12 games (sorry, I know this is supposed to be 5, but I had to go with 12) a new ds player should always start with first, not necessarily my absolute 12 favorite games (although these are all in my top 20). But these 12 games listed are (in my humble opinion) the best in their respective categories. This way, you will have some variety:

1. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Awesome rpg, innovative stylus use. And plus, IT'S ZELDA)
2. The World Ends With You (the most original rpg out their. Great music with an urban flavor)
3. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (best turn-based strategy game ever)
3. Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Awesome puzzle/riddle game with a creative story behind it)
4. Planet Puzzle League (Most addictive Tetris-like puzzle game out there)
5. Elite Beat Agents (Best rythm game on earth, period. Cool artwork and great soundtrack)
6. Mario Kart (very fun multi-player action game)
7. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (most creative, fun action title available with great stylus attack controls)
8. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (very well-done, story-based title with unique artwork. I am not allowed to play this game unless ALL three of my daughters are home so they can watch me play and not miss a thing!)
9. Geometry Wars: Galaxies (wonderful 2-D, fly-around-space-and-blow-stuff-up game. Lots of fun upgrades and unlockables. Be careful, it's also very addictive)
10. Metroid Prime: Hunters (awesome fps with great visual appeal)
11. Electroplankton (no "Best DS Game" list is complete without the most unique, and artistically beautiful musical title ever. It reminds me of when I was 13 and saw Walt Disney's animated movie classic "Fantasia" for the first time)
12. LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (very fun, single and multi-player action)

*Honorable Mention : Final FantasyCC:Ring of Fates (great rpg with awesomely fun multi-player action), New Super Mario Bros. (tried and true classic), Any Phoenix Wright title, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (great puzzle game with interesting story)

Now, with this list, you can go out there and jumpstart our economy by starting a fun, diverse collection of some of the best DS titles to date. Hope this helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn