Tool to copy drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by kid sampson, Dec 19, 2009.

Dec 19, 2009

Tool to copy drive by kid sampson at 6:13 PM (839 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a portable hard drive that I use for Configurable USB loader that uses the default FAT formatting. What tool would I use if I wanted to create a complete copy of this drive's contents to another larger drive without extracting the images one by one. Is a special tool needed for this or is there a utility already built into Windows that will do this without corrupting the images?

Ideally, I'd want to copy from one USB to another, as I don't have the space on my PC to back it up there, complete.

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    WTF? Did I understood this right? You're using FAT32 to launch your games, right? So you have .wbfs-Files on your FAT32-Partition, right? If so, just copy the wbfs Folder to the new Hardrive, and done.

3. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because I added the images through a manager, I thought it may be needed to read or copy them. But if it's as simple as copy and paste, that's fantastic. Even though my question may seem silly, thank you for taking the time to reply. I didn't know, and I certainly didn't want to copy all of them and wait hours to find that it didn't work. Thanks for the confirmation, Blue.

4. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Its generally the Filesystem that can cause problems with copying, not the File [​IMG]. And since it isn't WBFS, you won't have any problem with copying. You only converted the ISO to a new filetype, that's all. You can try it out...rename an a file to x.test and you can still copy it [​IMG].

5. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That's a really bad comparisation. Converting is not renaming but mostly involves renaming.

6. matsurisan

Newcomer matsurisan Member

Spain
    If the disks are identically sized, just boot your favourite linux livecd and do:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

of course, replacing the names of the devices for the disks with the apropiate ones (don't go and destroy your main hard disk!)