too much effing dialogue/story!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by missfabb, Jul 31, 2010.

Jul 31, 2010
  1. missfabb
    OP

Newcomer missfabb Advanced Member

United States
    idk if im the only person, but i personally can not STAND when games have pages and pages of dialogue/story that you can't skip. most times it just discourages me from playing the game all together because my thumbs are so worn out from pressing the A button. if i wanted a storybook i'd go to the library, not download a game.
    i wish every game ever created had a 'skip all dialogue and get straight to the fighting button'. anyone else feel the same?

2. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Sometimes, only if I have to repeat a section I've already done.
    Though I do agree that all games should have a cutscene/dialogue skip button.

3. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    My thoughts exactly.

4. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
  5. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    some games are thoughtful...
    they give you an option to speed up / skip the dialogue
    i think they should also include a skip the scene feature ;P

normally, i won't even bother to take a further look at such games

6. Frost>>&gt

Newcomer Frost>>&gt Member

United States
    what he said ^. Anybody played metroid fusion? So much dialoge really doesn't bother me but the second time you do it you can't effing skip the dialoge! REALLY EFFING ANNOYING!

7. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    Are we talking about Again? If we are, I agree completely!

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    For me, it's the damn intro screens when you boot a game that bug me. You know, all the companies involved in making the game and such......I hate that you can't zip past that stuff in most games, especially on a handheld. I think it's stupid to make you sit there and wait for those useless screens on a portable system. I mean, most games have where you can read the credits if you care about that crap (I certainly don't), so don't shove it in my face EVERY time I boot the freakin' game.

But yeah, blah-blah text that you can't skip or speed up is quite annoying too. I really hate it when a game will waste your time with irrelevant blah-blah. That kind of stuff happens mostly in RPG's. Either tell me something important (next quest, where an object is, where to go next) or don't waste my time with 5 text boxes full of useless blah-blah.

And since we're on the subject of stuff that annoys you in games......I really hate when they force-feed the controls to you with no way to change them. That's particularly annoying with touchscreen games that didn't NEED to be touchscreen games.

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Well RPGs are usually meant to be story driven. (I say that since most text-heavy games are RPGs)

I dislike when bad RPGs with crappy stories have a lot of dialogue, but if it's a good story, I generally don't care how much dialogue there is, because I enjoy it.

10. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    That's exactly how I feel. If the game is something that keeps me from putting it down, I don't mind the dialogue, but if it's something that I can put down and play weeks later, the dialogue isn't worth it.
    A skip button would be nice though.

I take it this is related to your thread of "I dislike RPGs....."?

11. justinne14

Newcomer justinne14 Member

Philippines
    Reading some story is probably better than pressing and pressing the attack button watching your enemy die... imo. [​IMG]
    But if you die and there's too much dialogue and you cannot skip it...

12. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    that depends..
    some of the japanese game i had tried
    it gives you like 20 minutes of speeches before 1 battle
    really long speech...

i think they should soemhow find a way to balance this out
    it makes the game much enjoyable [​IMG]

these are usually the game that comes with the AUTO message mode [​IMG]

13. justinne14

Newcomer justinne14 Member

Philippines
    I never tried any Japanese game. [​IMG]
    But.. *Agrees*

14. Perseid

Member Perseid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To the TC: I recommend Xenogears.

15. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    Fix'd

16. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    This. I play games both for story and gameplay.

17. Stuntbum

Newcomer Stuntbum Member

United Kingdom
    Not a big fan of xenogears then eh? that game was like reading a novel. Still one of the best games i've ever played though, despite having to play through it twice (about five years in between) because it decided to freeze at the final boss battle everytime. Thank god for emulators that have fast forward. I can't wait till the translation of xenosaga is done.

Lots of text in a game is ok as long as its a good story and they don't overdo it first thing, as in you can't start playing until about 20 minutes of text at the start of a game. That shit sucks and generally makes me not even start a game.

18. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Megaman. There's a culprit. I remember my DS shutting down because it was on red, then having to suffer 15 minutes of megaman talking before I had to walk into some store in-game. Where he proceeded to talk some more. Life is hard.

19. missfabb
    OP

Newcomer missfabb Advanced Member

United States
    i agree with EVERYTHING you just said.

i have no problems with games where the text says "blah blah is going to attack soon. make your way to the blah blah tunnel and defeat blah blah blah! go!" but most arent like that.

& i hate that too. i think the legend of zeldas would have been wayyyyyy better if they were button controlled. thats why i dont play them anymore.

20. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I don't mind games having plenty of story, so long as it has the decency to spread it out a bit and still include plenty of gameplay to break it up. Unlike the Metal Gear series, in which you can spend nearly an hour watching cutscenes which are nearly impossible to follow since the plot is more complex than trying to solve a Rubik's Cube using just your testicles in zero gravity while on fire, spend five minutes sneaking about and back into another cutscene. I got so bored I sold my entire Metal Gear collection.

If a game is set up like Phoenix Wright to be entirely text based and the gameplay is minimal, at least make it reasonably simple to follow and have something to keep the player awake, like the humour in the PW series.

And for the love of all things holy, have an option to either skip or speed up scenes you've already seen and have to replay due to some sort of screw-up.