Gaming Tomb Raider expanded editions

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have recently learned about the expanded editions for the original Tomb Raider games on PSX, the first one is called "Unfinished Business" and there is on for the second episode called "The Golden Mask".

Has anyone tried them? Are the bonus levels after the original ones? Is it simply worth it?

Are there any other episodes with expanded editions?

I know it's not PS Vita per se, but with Adrenaline it's great to explore gems from the past, and the Vita is the most convenient to play those games for me.

Last edited by LVG,

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i can only speak for the pc-version of the addon levels. they were selectable from the main menu and have no influence on the main story

"are they worth it?" is a very subjective question.
i didn't play them as i got them way past my tombraider 1+2 times

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'd love for the extra levels to be selectable from the main menu, I'm finishing the first episode right now and I'd really like not to play through it all again just for the extra levels!

I played the original one as it came out with the PS1, end of the 90's, but I seem to always go back to it every 10 years or so. I have tried the more recent episodes and I love the graphics and the atmosphere, but I find the exploration a bit "linear" and I think there's a bit less of research and enigmas.

WhoIAm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're cool levels, you can also play them on the iOS ports of TR1 and TR2 if you have those. (Though it's unlikely, considering they were removed from the App Store a few years ago.) The TR1: Unfinished Business levels are okay, though definitely the weakest of the expansions. They feel like extra levels that were cut from the original game (I believe at least one of them actually was.)

The TR2: Golden Mask levels are more interesting as they make up an entirely separate campaign with new areas; think a modern DLC campaign.

There's also an "expansion" to TR3, though it's difficult to come by: it's called "The Lost Artifact" and it was sold as a standalone disc. I don't remember how I got it, but it was also well worth the time: like Golden Mask, TLA is a brand-new campaign that's completely original compared to the base game.

The level designs of the expansions feel somewhat different from the base games'. They tend to feel a bit more gimmicky in terms of gameplay, more fantastical in art and design, and more difficult than the base games. I believe all the expansions were handled by a team separate from Core Design

None of the other classic Tomb Raider games have expansions. All of these bonus campaigns were PC-exclusive (or you could find them on the aforementioned iOS ports, but that's it). Sadly they weren't ever released for other consoles, so you'll have to find a different way to play them.

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@WhoIAm Wow thanks for all the information!

Even if the Unfinished Business is the weakest, I am so interested in a continuation of the 1st episode I'm sure I'll love it.
If the other expansions are better, all the better, I wasn't asking for so much!

TR3 has an expansion, excellent news :)

I can imagine these expansions are not as easy to find as the actual games, and with the excitement I won't mind a little bit of digging!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1