To Beat em up Fans

• Thread starter BooFoo
  • Start date
  • Views 1,534
  • Replies 5
B

BooFoo

OP
trying to pretend design a game (for a class), so I wanted to go ahead and went with a beat em up game with rpg elements. Here a document but this idea was scrapped since my group members didnt like it...
blink.gif

Tell me if you guys liked it or not. lol

It is incomplete since it was scrapped so I never finished it.

3/24/2008**************

hm i dunno, anyone played "river city ransom" on nes? Im thinking of doing that kind of game. 2d beat em up with open ended crap. dialogue choices, i guess powers, etc.

But thing is we cant do rpg, so does that mean we cant have rpg elements? like lvl up and buy equipment and stuff? So 2d beat em up with rpg elements. That sound pretty

bad ass game. (kinda like action rpgs like castlevania)

Game Name = ????

Genre = Action rpg / 2d beat em up / side scroller

Players = 2, going for a co-op experience

Inspiration for game idea= Beat em up games, TMNT turtle in time SNES, Final Fight Snes, Yakuza PS2, Sunset Riders SNES

Rating = T for Teen, no gore/blood, just animated violence

Features

Really fast action, able to combo on the ground , do launcher attack, then jump and continue combo mash in air. Combo with your friend for mega damage.

Combo meter = Able to see how many hits you rack in a combo

Good or Bad dialogue - each choice has it benefits or consequences

Split Paths = New paths lead to different endings

Boss fights = Each boss have their own unique moves, and personality, you might be able to recruit them if you say the right dialogue. Then they can be used as playable

characters.

Setting/theme = Martial Arts Theme. Either high schoolers japanese gangster look or samurai/ninjas setting. Probably looking at the samurai/ninja approach.

Players' moveset

D-Pad = move character on the map, up left down right

Square = weak attack, number of hits for combo depend on your character

X = Jump

O = initate super move, screen will flash your input buttons, do it in the right order and you will execute your super chain combo.

Triangle = heavy attack, mainly your launcher atk

L1 = Tag out and call out your other character. Can be used to chain longer combo.

R1 = BLock

Select =mini Inventory screen pops up (Doesnt pause the game so you have to be quick on using item)
Start = pauses the game

Special moves

Dash = tap twice in a direction to dash up up dashes up, right right dashes right, etc

Toss to the background wall = grab an enemy (moving close to an enemy), Square + triangle

unique co-op puzzles

1) Defuse bomb puzzle

maybe player 1 has to defuse a bomb, DDR puzzle, player 2 has to beat up /fend off alot of enemies to protect player 1.

2) Pass the torch

Player 1 and Player 2 stuck in side by side jail cells. Hungry ghosts are starting to close in on you. And only way to kill them is pass the torch to each other and beat the crap out of them. Now the one that doesnt have the torch, has to run around the cell and avoid the ghosts until the other player can pass the torch.

3)Double Push Down

Player 1 and Player 2 stuck in a pit. And the walls are closing in and they will be squashed. So player 1 and 2 has to press against the wall long enough for the gears to break. There a stamina bar for each player. You can only press against the wall for a while and have to take breaks between the players. Massing button rapidly session.

Timing is everything.

4)Keeping the balance

Player 1 is standing on top of a bamboo pole while player 2 is holding at the bottom. They fighitng another enemy pair doing the log thing Player 1 is only allowed to block or attack. Now Player 2 is allowed to move left to right keeping Player 1 balanced from falling over. He is also fighting the enemy holding the log using low kicks.

Notes = Some Boss fights

Some of the bosses will knock a player out so it will be 1v1. After a while then the boss will knock the current fighitng player out and the other player jumps back in.

Extra different stages I had in mind

An automatic side scrolling stage

Player 1 and Player 2 chasing a boss on water. They just running on top of water. Player 1 and Player 2 has to dodge the bombs that the boss drops behind. Occasionally

baddies jump out of the water and start to fight you. At the end of the level, I guess a boss fight --> insert boss idea here

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
I don't see where the RPG elements come into play - you didn't really explain this part. Also, are you doing this in any language, are you just using something like Game Maker?

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So which game design wasn't scrapped?
I'd say your concept is just a bit much to materialize in a class...

Anyway, I wouldn't say it's got RPG elements just because you can level-up and stuff... How many beat'em ups already have it?
It's been done 20 years ago in River City Ransom, Devil May Cry has it, God of War has it, Ninja Gaiden has it, and possibly many other games too...would you call any of these games an Action RPG?

As for the rest, I'd say it doesn't suck, but it's kinda incomplete and lacks originality...apart from some minigames, it's all been done before...
And hell, cross out the carrot thing, anyone who isn't a complete fool would know it's stolen from OoT...
Cross out the whole "Automatic side scrolling stage idea #2" for that matter, it's like all 90's arcade gaming clichés coming together in one level...

B

BooFoo

OP
yuyuyup said:
be more original, sucker

Yes, my intention is a throw-away unproductive insult post. But don't toss out ideas unless they are original, sucker

heh jackasses are everywhere. If you dont like what I wrote, then don't read it. It's that simple. I dont feel the need to go the extra step in insulting someone else.

and i never played zelda oot so i wouldnt known if I stole that carrot idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo