Tips for reducing UI ads?

CaseyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Pretext: I'm not sure how much, if any, of this stuff affects non-US accounts yet, though it's been stated that the plan is to bring it to most if not all other territories after "testing" here.)

I know that just about every corporate-designed UI is full of advertisements now but I draw the line at my game console, much less one I already spent $500 USD for.

In the most recent system update that added extendable PS5 game storage etc., on top of rearranging the explore tab that the console boots to no matter what that displays a giant 4K ad too quickly for you to scroll past (unless you're content to close your eyes with every boot) to alternate between posts from games you follow and "From PlayStation" at the top, there're now ads in the very first activity card upon opening the quick menu with the PS button.

I would mind significantly less if I at least only had to see posts from games I follow and thus have interest in, but even if you follow nothing you'll still get (to my knowledge/reckoning) the From PlayStation stuff about how The Critics Have Spoken On Thanos In Fortnite #EpicGamer.

Does anyone have any mitigations? I outright despise having to turn the thing on at this point. I'm also well aware that previous PS console UIs have ads but with the exception of the Vita TV they're far more contained and easy to ignore as opposed to literally having to close your eyes or squint away.

Last edited by CaseyDog,
Reactions: Fugelmir

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't recall if the series x loads the home menu when coming back from sleep mode or the game itself. however, it has a lot of issues with sleep mode, which I hope they fix. that's one reason I've been playing and buying ps5 versions of games aside from exclusives for the system. I checked recently and banjo kazooie still loses sound coming back from rest mode. I've heard of other games doing it as well. damn frustrating, because you have to get out of the game and go back in. anyway, I think the switch does it best, ads are off to the side, and you just press the A button to go back into the game. that's one thing I'll give Nintendo, and I think that's what they were shooting for, less clutter, less features (don't like this part of it), but everything is quick and easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.