Hacking Tips for G6 lite users

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now lets see... who the real noobs are...........

1. Do you guys exclude the g6lite drive from a/v scanning?
2. Do you have any crap like norton's security running in the background, taking snapshots of the g6lite drive?
3. Is there anything touching the g6lite drive besides the u-manager? if so that is probably why your card is corrupt.

How much spyware and crap do you guys have loaded on your pc? mine is clean as a whistle with 0 problems.

You said a few meaningful things I don't need to reply to, but the above: Noone that has posted in this thread has actually had corruption, so I don't know who you've posted it for. Also, a/v scan is a read-only operation (if configured right) and can never do anything to corrupt data. (Unless some kind of jackass force-unplugs his cart WHILE there's some scanning operation going on. But that's more likely just to crash the host computer and not corrupt the cart.)

Norton's security/security centres in general might do something, especially if program control is on and it tries to halt an operation pending on your input (such as ZoneAlarm). However, I doubt it...

From an engineer's point of view my best guess (alas, I'm not 100% positive) is that the error comes from erroneous writing of roms. E.g. some instruction/data in the cart gets scrambled (remember; no such thing as a perfect channel) and performs some undesirable operation that corrupts some of the data banks on the cart.

Hell, it could even be a faulty write that (due to, say a voltage surge from the extension cord some people are using) accidentaly writes game-data into the SRAM repository and thus fawks up all saves.

Fact is, nobody knows for sure why it is happening and that's why I posted my "guidelines". It's just a little safer way of burning your flash carts. I didn't ask you to follow them, I just made a suggestion.

So bottom-line is that if you don't want to follow my guidelines, fine, don't. Maybe you'll never experience corruption in your carts. Just don't be an ass/rude about it. Thanks.

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, what it seems to come down to is this:

Biovenger: If you drive the speed limit, use your signals, and obey the traffic laws, you probably won't get a ticket.
Everyone Else: THAT'S BULLSHIT, I DRIVE FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT ALL THE TIME AND I'VE NEVER GOT A TICKET EVER.

I get what Biovenger is saying about the G6, and I agree: That's the way I do it too, and I've never had anything approaching a problem. He's not saying it's the ONLY way to do it, just the SAFEST way.

What he's presented is a set of guidelines that, when followed, minimize the risk of corrupting your savegames and causing gameplay problems.
And yes, It is very unlikely that any rom-related malfunction will permanently damage the g6 hardware itself.

However, just pulling the U-disk directly out of the USB port without safely disconnecting it, or plugging in the G6 cart while the U-Disk adapter is plugged into the computer CAN potentially cause permanent hardware damage. Unlikely, but it can happen. There are 5v flowing through those things at all times. Trust me; the first time you abruptly remove a USB flashdrive and the contents get wiped or the flash memory fried, you'll be a believer.

So come on guys... if you don't want to follow his advice, fine, but there's no need to flame him because you do it your way (whatever that may be) and you've never had problems. Some of us just like to play it safe.

Just my two cents' worth.

krad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basically, what it seems to come down to is this:

Biovenger: If you drive the speed limit, use your signals, and obey the traffic laws, you probably won't get a ticket.
Everyone Else: THAT'S BULLSHIT, I DRIVE FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT ALL THE TIME AND I'VE NEVER GOT A TICKET EVER.

I get what Biovenger is saying about the G6, and I agree: That's the way I do it too, and I've never had anything approaching a problem. He's not saying it's the ONLY way to do it, just the SAFEST way.

What he's presented is a set of guidelines that, when followed, minimize the risk of corrupting your savegames and causing gameplay problems.
And yes, It is very unlikely that any rom-related malfunction will permanently damage the g6 hardware itself.

However, just pulling the U-disk directly out of the USB port without safely disconnecting it, or plugging in the G6 cart while the U-Disk adapter is plugged into the computer CAN potentially cause permanent hardware damage. Unlikely, but it can happen. There are 5v flowing through those things at all times. Trust me; the first time you abruptly remove a USB flashdrive and the contents get wiped or the flash memory fried, you'll be a believer.

So come on guys... if you don't want to follow his advice, fine, but there's no need to flame him because you do it your way (whatever that may be) and you've never had problems. Some of us just like to play it safe.

Just my two cents' worth.

My post wasn't meant to be a flame... But alot of people make the g6lite out to be the devil. Who the hell would want to buy the g6lite if they have to read a post about 5+ guidlines....

Newer versions of A/v automtically scan usb drives and removeable media. I am a computer/ network engineer.

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My post wasn't meant to be a flame... But alot of people make the g6lite out to be the devil. Who the hell would want to buy the g6lite if they have to read a post about 5+ guidlines....

Newer versions of A/v automtically scan usb drives and removeable media. I am a computer/ network engineer.

Yes, I know they do. What I said was that it's a pure write operation and can't corrupt anything. It's pure write due to many viruses/worms setting their file properties to read-only and if a user (that's non-admin) is running the virus scan, the virus should still be detected.

I really don't know why I need to know your occupation, but if it helps validate my points, here's mine:
I have a major in computer science and engineering and I am also the senior programmer at a local game development company.

krad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My post wasn't meant to be a flame... But alot of people make the g6lite out to be the devil. Who the hell would want to buy the g6lite if they have to read a post about 5+ guidlines....

Newer versions of A/v automtically scan usb drives and removeable media. I am a computer/ network engineer.

Yes, I know they do. What I said was that it's a pure write operation and can't corrupt anything. It's pure write due to many viruses/worms setting their file properties to read-only and if a user (that's non-admin) is running the virus scan, the virus should still be detected.

I really don't know why I need to know your occupation, but if it helps validate my points, here's mine:
I have a major in computer science and engineering and I am also the senior programmer at a local game development company.

Have you developed any good games? what languages do you use to create these games?

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you developed any good games? what languages do you use to create these games?

If the games are good is not really for me to decide, but for the general public. I've loved every game I've made and the public's opinion hasn't differed much.

We usually write games in C++. Especially when developing for the Xbox360 and other consoles.

We have also made one "on-request" web-java-game for a client and also have a portfolio of mobile games that were written in J2ME.

As for my personal merits (since it seems to have come down to that) I've written a few articles on 3D-programming for moble devices, of which one was published internationally in the programming magazine Dr. Dobb's Journal. My main interests are rendering programming (fragment/vertex shaders, effects, optimizations in the rendering pipeline) and algorithms/data structures. I guess I get the most joy out of writing an engine for a game from scratch, building an elegant and fast structure upon which we design the game.

I also enjoy long walks on the beach, petting my two cats, cuddling with my girlfriend and videogames. Enough for you?

krad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you developed any good games? what languages do you use to create these games?

If the games are good is not really for me to decide, but for the general public. I've loved every game I've made and the public's opinion hasn't differed much.

We usually write games in C++. Especially when developing for the Xbox360 and other consoles.

We have also made one "on-request" web-java-game for a client and also have a portfolio of mobile games that were written in J2ME.

As for my personal merits (since it seems to have come down to that) I've written a few articles on 3D-programming for moble devices, of which one was published internationally in the programming magazine Dr. Dobb's Journal. My main interests are rendering programming (fragment/vertex shaders, effects, optimizations in the rendering pipeline) and algorithms/data structures. I guess I get the most joy out of writing an engine for a game from scratch, building an elegant and fast structure upon which we design the game.

I also enjoy long walks on the beach, petting my two cats, cuddling with my girlfriend and videogames. Enough for you?

we need a pic!

you have a gf?

i bet you wear glasses.....

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
biggest amount of bullshit i ever read in a single posting

mars

Yes, and your lack of extrapolating your statement really strengthens your opinion.

Especially regarding the fact that you are another one of the "I never do and it's fine" people and haven't read a single other post in this topic.

sorry if my words sounded harsh.
but there comes a guy and tells us what to do and what not to do with our flashkit to keep it "healthy".
and all those arguments are bullshit.
i trim all my roms, i use soft reset on all my roms, i unplug my g6 without unplugging or even safe removing my usb cable.
guess what? works fine since day one.
maybe some people have problems with the g6, but they are in no way related it trimming roms or using soft reset.
thats plain bullshit.

mars

sry for my bad english

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe some people have problems with the g6, but they are in no way related it trimming roms or using soft reset.
thats plain bullshit.

mars

sry for my bad english

... And then again, maybe you've just been lucky thus far. There's no way to really know.

Advocating proper safe Flash Card etiquette isn't necessarily bullshit; I'm sure you could take the SD card out of your camera and carry it in your pocket with your change all day, or toss your computer's hard drive in the trunk of your car, and they would PROBABLY work just fine at the end of the day...the question is, why would you?

your name here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only number 4 actually has to do with proper care of the g6. How could trimming a ROM do any worse than making the ROM unplayable? In that case, you just write it again without trimming. No harm done

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet