Hardware Tiny Capacitor Short, Need Help Identifying (seems to have been omitted in some versions)

IvyMilan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all!

Was wondering if anyone here could give me some information regarding a capacitor on a Nintendo Switch motherboard.

The switch does not display anything after powering on, after checking for continuity on every capacitor it seems like this is the only one that is short. The problem is that it seems like a one-off capacitor. I have another switch that does not have this capacitor at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please respond if you have any idea/info. Thank you very much!

Attachments

• BDABC65C-48D9-4076-8D12-B512F658FD20.jpeg
    BDABC65C-48D9-4076-8D12-B512F658FD20.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 199
  • F10E058E-9F09-4298-97F8-A10D6B91E5A2.jpeg
    F10E058E-9F09-4298-97F8-A10D6B91E5A2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mattytrog will definitely be able to help you with this.

Im not being a wise guy but you made sure to check that the switch did not have auto rcm installed right ? as that makes the screen black on launch. A simple test would be to plug it into the PC and see if RCM mode is detected by tegra, But guessing you pulling the mainboard out the switch you already checked this...

IvyMilan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mattytrog will definitely be able to help you with this.

Im not being a wise guy but you made sure to check that the switch did not have auto rcm installed right ? as that makes the screen black on launch. A simple test would be to plug it into the PC and see if RCM mode is detected by tegra, But guessing you pulling the mainboard out the switch you already checked this...

No I appreciate your response. This switch in particular belonged to my nephew and he never had it modded or anything. The speakers had blown out and he ordered new ones to replace the old. After swapping one out and testing it, I noticed the battery was completely dead, so I plugged (stock charger) it in and charged it a bit. Turned it on, tested the sound, and then turned it off and let it charge for an hour. After that, I replaced the second speaker and tried to turn it on. No luck. So I figured I may have fried something some how (not likely but I figured i’d check). That’s when I began checking capacitors for continuity. I’m scratching my head now. After testing that the battery does in fact charge and even using another one to try and power on. It still doesn’t turn on. This one tiny capacitor is the only one that is short.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I believe TronicsFix from youtube mentioned what capacitor that is from one of his switch repair videos.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

IvyMilan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe TronicsFix from youtube mentioned what capacitor that is from one of his switch repair videos.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response and the lead! Unfortunately this dude has a ton of switch repair videos, so I guess I have to dive into those.

LIY2012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I just checked three of my donor board and all three have that component shorted (about 1ohm resistance).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs?si=rnzM6Df7jeL6FiPz