Tinfoil Problem on 3.0.0

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Ka_Ninja, Oct 20, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, I have tried it and it works

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Yes, I think...

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. No, it doesnt

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. No, I think...

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Ka_Ninja
    OP

Ka_Ninja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2018
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but tinfoil cannot install NSP's on firmware 3.0.0. I have Reinx installed finally and only decided to do it because I heard tinfoil could bypass firmware requirements now.
    However, whenever I try to install any game (doesnt matter what the firmware req are) it says it failed and that I may be required to update my firmware?
    I have exhausted every option, I have tried install to nand and sd card, I have tried with bypass and without bypass firmware requirement, it just never works.
    I have tried renaming each game, I have tried multiple different NSP files from different sources. I also have downloaded SDfiles 7.3 and placed it on the root of my sd card... nothing works. I also attempted to transfer only one game at a time... kinda lost here at this point.

I've seen other people speaking about tinfoil working for all firmwares but am I just doing something wrong or is this useless on firmware 3.0.0?

(Btw I only wanted to stay on 3.0.0 so I could have access to the warmboot once its released, my switch also isnt banned yet but it might as well be bc it will never go online lol)

2. shadoom

shadoom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Taiwan
    This thread and my reply is totally useless.
    Like this post to vote.

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    should have gotten an SX OS

Albytrozz likes this.
  4. shabbypenguin

shabbypenguin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2015
    United States
    use devmenu then if tinfoil isnt working.

5. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    You can only run games on lower firmwares that have the same master keys as higher firmwares

JimmyDean42 likes this.
  6. Ka_Ninja
    OP

Ka_Ninja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2018
    United States
    SX OS can bypass firmware requirements on 3.0.0? From what I heard it has some sort of emunand but its not fully useful or functional yet.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So in your opinion would it be more useful to just upgrade to the most recent firmware and give up on the warmboot?(I'm not even that worried about it, it seems to be over a year away anyway)

7. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Upgrade with ChoiDujourNX and run autoRCM so you don’t burn fuses. Tinfoil isn’t useless, your setup is.

8. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It's not rocket science.

Tinfoil can brute force an install onto a lower firmware, but most games actually require keys from a higher firmware. There is absolutely nothing anybody can do about that. You're the one choosing to stay on 3.0.0.

Contrary to what above posts say, SXOS will not solve this problem.

Last edited by sj33, Oct 20, 2018
  9. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    It works. But not for all games.

Ka_Ninja likes this.
  10. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    SX OS for life

11. Ka_Ninja
    OP

Ka_Ninja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2018
    United States
    Well, its looking like I need to just upgrade my firmware to a more recent one and as I said its pretty useless on 3.0.0.(unless you're wanting to play BOTW and snipper clips lol)

I'm going to do some research about homebrew and reinx on 6.0+ and see if thats the route I should take :)

Otherwise, waiting for emunand is the best option in my case. Either way I appreciate the responses

12. The3rdknuckles
    This message by The3rdknuckles has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 15, 2018, Reason: Requested.
    Oct 20, 2018
  13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Explain how this would solve his problem.

Anyway, you can look into updating using ChoidujourDX. This will let you update without burning fuses, meaning you can downgrade later.

TheCyberQuake and Ka_Ninja like this.
  14. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    yeah blame Tinfoil for your ignorance

15. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    Tinfoil isn't for bypassing firmware version requirements, it's for installing nsps and ncas.

Albytrozz and Ka_Ninja like this.
  16. nyder

nyder GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    I'd update to 4.1 since the warmboot is about out. That would at least give you access to most games for the moment, while waiting on better solutions and even a cold boot exploit.

Ka_Ninja likes this.
  17. Ka_Ninja
    OP

Ka_Ninja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2018
    United States
    Lmao "Ignorance"? "Ignorance" is the person actually commenting pointlessly on a thread where someone is attempting to gain more knowledge on how to use a program that isn't fully developed and is still in the troubleshooting phase.
    As I stated, tinfoil useless on 3.0.0 firmware. The only ignorant people around are those like you who waste their time commenting nothing useful on a thread where someone is asking questions.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks guys, I used this advice successfully and am in the process of obtaining access to my system folder on my current up to date firmware nintendo switch. Once I have the firmware update files, I will update using ChoidujourNX without burning fuses and then use tinfoil properly.

18. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    And still of been in the same situation

19. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Again, No tinfoil is not useless on 3.0. It does exactly what it is designed to do on 3.0. You were trying to get it to do something it was not designed to do.

Albytrozz likes this.
  20. Albytrozz

Albytrozz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    He uses an ancient incompatible outdated firmware BY CHOICE (for NO damn reason on the Switch.. give me ONE actual good reason to stay on 3.0!) then blames software that works for everyone actually in this century... sounds about right for GBATemp...

Last edited by Albytrozz, Oct 20, 2018
    thorasgar likes this.
  21. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 16, 2008