(Time-sensitive) Does the PS3's box list release date?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pedeadstrian, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm looking to buy a PS3, and it is a 25XXA model, meaning there's a 50% chance that it won't be hackable. I was wondering if there is any way you can tell without opening it up. I know that it will have a copyright date, but will that really be reliable? I know that I need a copyright date below 2011, but even if it says 2010, it could be outdated, right?

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
  3. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I know you can find out release date on the console, but I was wondering if it was possible to view on the box, so you could make sure it's hackable before purchasing/without opening it up.

4. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    you should NEVER buy a console, just to hack it
    buy it if your going to BUY games for it

5. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Who says I'm not going to buy games for it? I mean, I'm not, but you know what they say about people who assume things.

Besides, I know I shouldn't, but I don't give a crap.

6. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    IIRC, it does say the manufacturing year/month on the box (at least in Japan it does). I have a CECH-2500A made in 2010 and it was CFW capable.
    If you're dead-set on getting it, ask the seller to check the manufacturing date if possible or at least when the seller purchased it.