Thoughts on Ubuntu 11.04

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by I2aven's_Sag, Apr 13, 2011.

Apr 13, 2011
  1. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I tried it the other day, installing it over my (then-current) 10.10 installation because the live-cd I made was being glitchy. I think that in some ways it's an improvement, but I'm thanking the Ubuntu gods that it's not the release candidate because it still felt pretty backwards to me.

Personally, I really didn't like the Unity desktop interface, and went back to Gnome for a while; but Unity kind of breaks gnome. For example, I couldn't really figure out how to multi-task effectively.

(1) Virtual Desktops from the top-bar (the 4 squares) are disabled, you have to enable them with an obscure terminal command pairing. The desktop switcher is no longer part of the top bar. There is one on the dock, but it requires more effort to use than the previous 10.10 setup.

(2) Minimize/Maximize windows -- Whenever I launched an application it would launch in full F11 (Full-Screen) mode, for example, try pressing F11 right now. The application, for example, Banshee or Rhythmbox (Music Player) would take up the entire space. There didn't seem to be a good way to resize them.

(a) You can minimize programs, but they don't really seem to allow any indication that they're minimized, other than a slightly embossed dock-icon. And when you have enough dock icons that you have to scroll to find the ones that you want, it becomes a little frustrating. Wish I could have figured out how to create a side-bar or a side-dock :/.

(3) Mac Style approach to windows management. Whenever you launch a program the very top-bar (that you'd use to access things like (Places/Username/Documents/Videos/Music) becomes the menu for the program. It just seems unnecessarily wasteful, like it's trying to be too user-friendly ~ The Unity bar / Menu - just limit the screen-space/resolution.

Overall, I didn't really like 11.04. I'm hoping that they improve the 11.04 RC to take care of a few of these "problems" that I had with it, because I'd really like to see what changes they make for the release candidate coming at the end of the month. Right now, it feels like an OS that I'd want on a netbook or on a less-powerful notebook, not something I'd want on a more powerful notebook or desktop. Just curious if anyone else has tried it before the impending release at the end of the month.

2. Shabutie78

Member Shabutie78 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    then how about switching to KDE/kubuntu and solving all your problems?
    i think unity is horrible. i mean, it's for netbooks, why make it the default DE for ubuntu?
    well, gnome 3 is pretty bad too, so i dunno.
    there's no reason not to use KDE if you dislike unity so much.

edit:
    possible solution:
    try unity for a while, then try gnome 3.
    when you decide which one you hate less, stick with that one [​IMG]
    or just convert to KDE like i said [​IMG]

also, since most of your problems stem from aesthetic changes/modifications (and the fact that you're using ubuntu), you seem to be kinda new to linux. in that case you can always just not upgrade to 11.xx and keep 10.10 and gnome 2. i'm pretty sure 10.10 was the LTS release. or was it 10.04?

3. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Yeah, I went back to 10.10. I am rather new to Linux/Ubuntu, haven't tried many of the alternative desktop setups, I know that I really like Gnome(2)(?). I did try going back to gnome in 11.04, but it breaks some of the super-bar features (some are incompatible with Unity).

So unity is for netbooks, go figure. I agree, it's a horrible choice for a default desktop enviro.

Anyway, any idea how I could try Gnome(3)(?) on Ubuntu 10.10? I assume that I'm currently running Gnome 2. I haven't built anything from source yet, but I'm not terribly afraid of terminal use.

4. Shabutie78

Member Shabutie78 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    since gnome 3 was just released, there's no stable PPA for any linux distro.
    i don't want to be responsible for breaking your ubuntu, since it can get messy. so maybe you should wait until the next wave of ubuntu releases (xubuntu/mint/crunchbang, etc) come out and they'll have stable gnome 3 sources.
    mint 11, which is my favorite ubuntu derivitave, will come with gnome 3 native.
    for now, watch these videos. trust me, it looks a lot nicer than it really is.
    http://www.gnome3.org/

gnome 3 is kinda KDEish, but mostly mac osx/iOS-ish.
    me dun likey.

5. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    theres always fluxbox or xfce as well, dont forget those [​IMG]
    id personally choose xfce over gnome 3/kde/unity though, but thats just me