Thoughts on Apple

Do you have a positive opinion of Apple?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious what people think about apple. In my personal life views appear to be polarized with people either actively supporting or actively disliking apple.

I have never bought, owned or used an apple product (for more than a minute). Their closed ecosystem has always been a big negative for me.

What are your thoughts?

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally apple is only good for 2 things business and studio work for music and criminals who wanna hide there crimes due to apples privacy rules that they sometimes use to say no to government offices.

The system for me is to closed off and doesn't allow for much in terms of customization both in terms of hardware and software. And they are notoriously a pain in the ass to fix if the software gets messed up and you have an older model. If you want an apple that's fine but keep in mind your paying the same for less usually in terms of power and overall usability and also durability as once it goes down your more then likely getting a new up to date one and the old one is just garbage as it follows the smart phone road of timed obsolescence with no way to upgrade it.

As for windows it has its fault but I can fix those fault way easier then I could with any Mac and any complaints I've had I could deal with them with software or hardware upgrades and can continue to modernize my pc as time goes on.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To me all these big companies are the same. I don’t really dislike Apple any more than I do Google or anything.

As for the products, they’re closed ecosystems but if you’re in that ecosystem it’s so fluid and well-built. It’s super neat to me that I could buy Disgaea 4 and play it on a phone, a tablet, and a laptop with no effort. The small integrations are great, and I really do enjoy using an iPhone having gone through a lot of different phones. It’s just a really clean experience.

So yeah, I’ve liked the stuff I’ve used from them.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't generally like the closed ecosystem, but some of my family are more familiar with the interface and they don't want the "complication" of learning how to use different ones. They are less likely to get malware on their systems so they are able to focus more effort on not getting scammed by e-mail phishers.

Because it's there, I like using the ipad for work (but document/file management is still a huge pain). I prefer working with computers instead of just having a computer for work, so that's why I don't personally choose Apple.

Last edited by tabzer,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Closed system is the deciding factor. System closed = no buy

That said, walking around with a device connected needing an account at a company under the US "Cloud Act" is something I'll never do. Full system control for me, not for the manufacturer. Agreeing on 100 pages of complex legal text I have no chance to understand and get to see after buying the device? Rather not.

Android devices are by default not a bit better than Apple products, but at least some of them can be equipped with semi-trustworthy operating systems, which isn't true for IOS things.

What I've seen of Apple products regarding their longevity is underwhelming. You know these calendar wisdom sayings like "You get what you paid for." Totally not true. For Apple you pay premium prices and get a non-repairable mess of DRM infected rubbish. Having seen a bunch of 3000€ iMacs fail one after another because of bad capacitors is what I say everybody telling me such calendar wisdom.

All in all Apple is too expensive, too closed and too pseudo-elite. Apple advocates often have a strange attitude to anybody not being in their "religion"

Reactions: x65943 and tabzer

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a very neutral opinion on apple. Personally I'd never use them unless forced to do so (for work or something) but I'm more than happy to recommend them to people where I don't want to assume tech support responsibilities. As much as they're closed off walled gardens that can't be repaired that also means I can tell them to grab one of those things and then literally never have to spend another moment dealing with it because it just works for tech illiterate normies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Apple is a shit company that does some pretty awful things. But I honestly feel like people give them shit for things they give companies like Samsung and Microsoft a free pass for. Like Samsung phones and products are often the same price or more expensive than Apple products. Microsoft is rapidly removing privacy and customization from their products. The reason I bring up these examples is because most things I can toss at Apple, also tends to apply to everyone else, in some degree. So this has pushed my position towards being more neutral on Apple and favorable towards things I use their products for, like my content creating and streaming. Which often have features I can’t use on other products, like screen mirroring that I use to my Reality avatar on OBS or Airdrop to quickly move clips for videos from device to device. Or just have good video editing software that is optimized for my hardware or not complete garbage, like video editor software on Linux. Which is sad because I love Linux but open source video editing software is just bad. Equally, having software like Reality working perfectly across my devices is also important and something that doesn’t work on Android due to software optimization just not being there. Which is the result of Android software being optimized for the lowest end devices.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4