Third Party WiiU Pro controllers?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ArabianNights, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ArabianNights
    OP

ArabianNights Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2016
    United States
    TX, USA
    Howdy, I was browsing Amazon and noticed there are quite a few knock off WiiU pro controllers on the market, most for nearly half price. I was wondering if any one has used any of them. And if so, how well (if at all), do they work with nintendont/loadiine? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    No no no no no don't do it they are cheap for a reason do I really need to say anymore???

ArabianNights likes this.
  3. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I wouldn't go with Amazon. I would go with Ebay. I bought 2 controllers for about 20 bucks. So, 10 bucks each, and they have been working wonders for me ever since I bought them.

4. 7Robins

7Robins Bob is watching you.

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    My friend bought some generic ones on eBay. They're decent at best.

The d-pad is clicky, but also very finicky, the triggers are absolutely terrible, and the analog sticks feel decent until you press them. Whether or not those problems are worth you saving $40 is up to you.

Also, yes they work exactly as regular Pros, meaning that they will work with Nintendont and Loadiine.

5. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    The knockoff ones are dogshit, buy cheap buy twice.

Last edited by mech, Sep 1, 2016
  6. DutchyDutch

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    If you have USB controllers you should wait, soon you will be able to use those as Pro controllers with HID to VPAD (unless you prefer the layout of the pro controller)

7. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Saturn is better than Jupiter :P
    I have bougth a fake Wii U Pro Controller from Amazon for around 20€. I never played with a real one, so I can't tell you the difference between them, but the one I bought worked fine and I had never problems with it. It came with a charging cable and looks exactly like to original, just without the Wii U logo. It feels good in the hand, and all the controlls were responsive.

8. PF2M

PF2M Miiverse Hacker

Sep 8, 2015
    United States
    Ohio
    I got this one from GameStop. It works well, and has a cool glow effect that can be turned on/off. Though you should also listen to the others in this thread, they have good advice too.

9. GoHomeMate

GoHomeMate Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hey man i have 2 knock off pro controllers i originally bought one but the right analog was broken so they sent me a replacement. they work but they feel cheap and the d pad is not very good you can press all directions at the same time which is a problem on most cheap controllers because you press right and it will sometimes register up right or up down which is annoying

However, if you have wiimotes, i bought 2 knock off Classic Controller Pro from china (about 6$ each on ebay) and they are GREAT the dpad is perfect it doesnt have the problem mentioned above and the analogs are also great and all the buttons feel right the controller feel good in hands and it even came with a protective plastic film on the shiny part i was very impressed with the quality and its awesome for virtual console games but if you want to play sm4sh with it it will take some getting used to.

EDIT : if you buy the classic pro controllers make sure to get rechargeable wiimotes batteries with a cradle charger (a quality kit is like 10$) so you dont have to keep buying AA batteries the one i bought was like 13$ and it charges 2 wiimotes as well as my wii u gamepad and it came with 2 Lithium 2800mah batteries that never died on me while playing ( i always put them on the charger while not in use )

Last edited by GoHomeMate, Sep 2, 2016
  10. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    I bought one on ebay for about $11 shipped. It does the job, and seems to work fine. But the analog sticks feel a little tight, though I can't compare to an OEM pro controller. Still... I can't complain as I knew the quality would be subpar. It's a gamble though, and you're better off getting an official one.

11. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    I have this one from Amazon & it works a treat, Really good. Only cost me £12 I think.. Had it almost 2+ years now, No problems at all...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Sep 2, 2016
  12. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    That looks neat!

13. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    As someone who just bought an official Wii U Pro Controller (my GamePad's L-Stick is busted), I can say that it's worth the price.
    It is so light, it's battery lasts 80+ hours and feels comfortable in your hands. The shiny black surface looks professional as well.

As for your original question, if the knock-off controller works in retail games, then it should theoretically work in Nintendont and Loadiine, as those programs use the same controller libraries that are used in official titles. Your mileage may vary, though.

14. GoHomeMate

GoHomeMate Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hey you probably know this already but you can get the replacement part here :

http://ebay.com/itm/C-Replacement-L...U-Gamepad-Controller-/291523214065?nav=SEARCH

And it's also very easy to install but you need a triwing screwdriver

ArabianNights and CreeperMario like this.
  15. ArabianNights
    OP

ArabianNights Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2016
    United States
    TX, USA
    I appreciate all of your replies! I'm currently on budget and dropping $50 on a controller is not a possibility right now, so your input is greatly appreciated!

16. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    We're talking knock offs and you put ebay before Amazon? :wtf:

17. Stwert

Stwert Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    Scotland
    I always stick to the simple motto of, you get what you pay for.
    They are cheap for a reason and it's not just that they don't have the massive markup that the big boys add on. They use cheaper components and that effects everything.

They'll get the job done, but they just won't feel right and they generally won't last as long. It's a false economy, it seems good at the time because you are saving that much needed cash. But in the long run you'll buy more of them and end up spending at least as much as the official controller costs.

If you're ok with that then bash on, but I'd recommend saving and getting the higher quality item, it's worth it in the long run.

18. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i got a fake chinese one and a real one and i advice getting a real one for sure, even if used, my fake one batery lasts like 2 hours at most, also the joysticks are kinda meh, my real one lasts forver lol you charge it once and like only a month after you need to charge it again, and everything is spot on, i bought it used and its one of the buys i will never regret, its the best nintendo controller after the original gc controller imo.

19. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I think i got a fake one. Random controller inputs are made when the controller shakes or isn't steady, I think the battery was hardwired into the controller as i didn't know a safeway to take it out. The problem was when i was looking to buy, it was cheap likee $22 or something and when i got it, it malfunconted within a week. Also i noticed it didn't have the nintendo logo on it so it was a fake. I had to buy a new one and legit one anyway. Was more expensive.:angry:

20. Rak

Rak Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2015
    I also got two cheap ones in ebay and they do the job fine when my friends come over to play smash 4, but I don't think they are a good idea for a main controller. As people have already said, you get what you pay for: The build quality is inferior to my official nintendo one and they lost their charge pretty fast too. As long as you know what you are getting into, they are perfectly good "side" controllers.