Hardware Thinking of getting XL... (Question)

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Besides the screen size upgrade, is there anything different about it compared to normal 3DS? Also, can I transfer my downloaded NES, GBA games to it? Thoughts appreciated :)

Go for it, those larger screens really make a difference.

You can do a system transfer.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am probably trading in my 3ds for XL tomorrow, but wondering what all is saved on the SD card. I have some NES and GBA games I got through the Ambassador Program and was wondering if I could just copy the SD data to my computer and then transfer everything to the XL from there. Please let me know and thanks :)

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
You need to have both systems at the same time and a broadband internet to do the system transfer. Copying contents of SD card to computer, then transfer to new 3DSXL will not work. On 3DSXL you go to SysMenu and click "Transfer" and click "3DS transfer" then click "receive from.." and when transfer is become complete you are have ambassador plus downloaded games like in regular 3DS. Old 3DS is no longer have such status and games.

teh_ryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks. Is it worth selling old 3DS once I get XL? I can get about $80 in store credit or $70 cash at local game store near me.

If you want the money now and don't want the hassle of selling it yourself on ebay or whatever, then go for it. If you have the stylus and charger you can probably get $100 or maybe even a little more on ebay.

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The XL is worth it because the gaming experience itself is better.

I played on both a normal 3DS and an XL, and after having owned and played on both the XL is a far better experience. You won't go back once you do =).

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my xl a couple months ago, and, yeah, when I look at a regular 3ds now, I can't believe how tiny the screens look. Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe the XL's battery lasts longer too. A couple minor things to be aware of - the XL has a regular stylus instead of the telescopy one, and does not have a charging cradle. Regardless, it is definitely worth it, especially if you use it for emulating anything meant for a tv-size screen.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, it depends. Are you happy with the 3DS? I mean when you see the screen size of the 3DS XL, it just wows you every time. I tend to enjoy games a lot more because of it, I feel I get sucked into the game more.

However, I feel that there are some games that benefit from the small screen, and some that benefit from the big screen.

Example:

Kingdom Hearts 3D, I feel it works best on the XL because of all the shit that goes on the screen.
Resident Evil Revelations is another one. The bigger screen just sucks you into the world much better and adds to the experience.
I also think Kid Icarus Uprising benefits on the XL not because of the screen, but because of the size of the unit it's not a bitch to play like on the smaller 3DS.

teh_ryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people are more fond of the 3DS XL because of the larger screen, longer battery life, and I notice that some of the system menus and things like that load faster on the XL.

I kind of like both for different reasons. XL for those listed above; but I prefer the sturdy shelling of the 3DS over the XL which, because of the lack of a glossy clearcoat, gets scratched up so easily--even if you try to take super good care of it like I do (my system is mostly flawless but somehow ended up with a long, thin scratch across the very back). I also like the portability of the 3DS; you need huge pockets or a ton of room in your purse to cart around the XL. Also this kind of doesn't apply to the standard user but I really prefer performing repairs on the regular 3DS because it's so much easier to take apart. Kind of going along with the nicer shelling, it just feels so much sturdier and less fragile than the XL, so I'm less nervous about taking it apart.

Here's my thought: why not save up enough to buy an XL without trading your 3DS in? If you're a Pokemon fan then you can have 2 systems when X and Y come out to trade yourself! :)

Also a random suggestion for the 3DS to help make it the ideal portable system for travel: combat the lower battery life by purchasing an extra battery from Nintendo.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a XL a few days ago and I love it. I have a question though, is it possible to over-charge system, or is the battery the type where lots of charging doesn't reduce power/charges over time? Any help appreciated :)

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have bad eyesight its good for you ,if not Dont get it cuz its basically the same.. Im getting it later on cuz i have a bad eye sight..

Besides the larger screens (which makes the games look fricken beautiful!) the stylus placement and stylus itself are way more convenient! You don't have to extend the stylus anymore, plus it's right on the side of the 3DS like the DS Lite, very simple. Also, the 3DS XL has longer battery life by about 1 hour, and the buttons (like the Home button) feel a lot nicer in my opinion... come to think of it, the overall build for the XL may be better. The top and bottom screens no longer touch each other when it's closed, same can be said about the later normal sized models of 3DS though. I would say 100% worth the buy, I bought it and can't touch the normal 3DS anymore.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I got a XL a few days ago and I love it. I have a question though, is it possible to over-charge system, or is the battery the type where lots of charging doesn't reduce power/charges over time? Any help appreciated :)
I don't think that type of battery exists :P
However, you can't overcharge the battery. It will stop charging once fully charged (though if it's turned on it'll take much longer before it stops charging, but stops the moment you turn it off, might be because the battery drain makes the battery level seem lower than what it is)
Over a few years' time the battery life will deteriorate, but my DS lite and phat were both still going strong when I stopped using them so it's gonna take a long time before it wears out enough that you'll want to replace it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: