UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
with Xmas coming up i am thinking of getting a PSP, now obviously I want to hack it to run homebrew and ISOs
rolleyes.gif

but, I am not sure what one I should get, i have been reading and know that i will need something called a "pandora battery", but also that some psp's cannot be hacked (yet).

what PSP should I buy? and how should i make sure i don't get a "bad" psp? is the a store where you can be sure of getting a hackable one from? (in the UK)

lastly, i have read that the newer PSPs with a "better" screen have had some big problems with the screen? can anyone explain?

thanks in advance!

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Dear lord, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Seriously, it's starting to get ridiculous. Everyday the SAME EXACT THREAD gets created by a different person. Next time, use the search function, or just simply look around.

If you're getting a new PSP, you'll have to either get a used Slim that was bought around 3 months ago or higher, or you can just get a PSP-1000 model. The newer Slims and the PSP-3000 series CANNOT BE HACKED by any means as of right now. I would recommend getting a used Slim, or if you're lucky, buy a brand new Slim at a store that has old ones that didn't come in recently. (But that would be a risk. You'd be safer getting a used one, really...)

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, this has been brought up a few times, and really, google is a GREAT friend for this (i had the same question 2 years ago, and google turned up tons of good sites at that point, that were... and still are, legit knowledge bases for PSP hacking).

But, to try and help,

PSP Fat (the 1000 line) - Easiest to hack, easiest to get working homebrew on.

PSP Slim (the 2000 lineup) - Some of the newer Slims cannot be hacked, unless that has very recently changed. These are nicer due to the better screen, but you have to be sure to check on specifics of the box and serial number (you can find photos all over the net of what to look for) to make sure its an old enough slim to hack it.

PSP Slim (the 3000 line of systems) - Un-hackable as of now. There are people working on it, and some very interesting things have been coming down the pipeline, but its still not possible to get this beast fully hacked.

I'm actually getting a used PSP-Fat for xmas from the Wife®. We found one at a used game store, still in VERY good condition. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

As for the Pandora battery, if you know someone with a Fat that has a custom firmware on it, you can convert the standard PSP-Fat battery into a pandora battery and back. But there's a better option. Some sites (i think i got mine from Deal Extreme) offer a pandora battery (cannot be used as a real battery) and a 2gig Memory Stick Pro Duo for like $11(usd) or something like that. You NEED a memory stick (512k or greater) to be able to use a Pandora battery and load on custom firmware.

Hope that gets you on the right track
smile.gif

Again, check google. Theres a wonderful site on the dashhacks network (you'll understand upon googleing about psp hacking) that looks like a generic (or even fake) web address in the early searches that is FULL of useful info, and a very helpful psp hacking forum.

Good luck!

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you do get a hackable PSP (on any psp, and just want to try to see if its hackable or not) then just PM me and I can point you in the direction of a decent working MMS maker with everything you will need.

As they said above though, you Need the PSP Battery and Mem stick first.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
with Xmas coming up i am thinking of getting a PSP, now obviously I want to hack it to run homebrew and ISOs
rolleyes.gif

but, I am not sure what one I should get, i have been reading and know that i will need something called a "pandora battery", but also that some psp's cannot be hacked (yet).

what PSP should I buy? and how should i make sure i don't get a "bad" psp? is the a store where you can be sure of getting a hackable one from? (in the UK)

lastly, i have read that the newer PSPs with a "better" screen have had some big problems with the screen? can anyone explain?

thanks in advance!
right because you're on british soil i suggest the following...........
go to argos, they will when you ask them at customer services allow you to view the psp before buying (you can view any product at argos before buying)
look the box over and see what year it was made a 2008 gives a higher chance of it being a ta-88 v3
tell them that you've heard that they are getting dead pixels on the screen so you would like to put the battery in and view the screen, then look at the system information and check the firmware on it
QUOTETo find system info like firmware
settingssystem settings - system information
DO NOT tell them why you want to do this because they won't look to kindly on you
rolleyes.gif
if it is 4.xx you're not in luck
silver tends not to be first off the shelf (lol when i got mine 5 weeks ago it was 109.00 from argos)
if you need any more help don't be afraid to ask
war is really nice but gets a bit grumpy because you're not the first person to ask the question, but hey it's what forms are here for
yaypsp.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks for your suggestions

War said:
Dear lord, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Seriously, it's starting to get ridiculous. Everyday the SAME EXACT THREAD gets created by a different person. Next time, use the search function, or just simply look around.

1) a lot can happen in a week or two, new hacks come out etc.
2) the search function sucks and has no regard for how old a post is (because, its google)

QUOTE(WildWon @ Dec 2 2008, 05:56 PM) Yea, this has been brought up a few times, and really, google is a GREAT friend for this (i had the same question 2 years ago, and google turned up tons of good sites at that point, that were... and still are, legit knowledge bases for PSP hacking).

*snip*

Again, check google. Theres a wonderful site on the dashhacks network (you'll understand upon googleing about psp hacking) that looks like a generic (or even fake) web address in the early searches that is FULL of useful info, and a very helpful psp hacking forum.

Good luck!

do you think you could post/pm me the links to these resource sites? I am always a little cautious of finding fake info on google, so i prefer to get personal recommendations.

thanks in advance

teth

Trophies
XP
Country
In regard to this question is it true that special edition god of war PSP's are guaranteed to be hackable?

hybridkit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am planning to sell my silver psp slim which have CFW 5.00 M33-3.

I have bestskinever applied on the surface and also a genuine 4GB SanDisk Ultra II.

Just pm me if you are interested.

Dedale

Trophies
Website
my.opera.com
XP
Country
Canada
I used this thread instead of create yet a new one on the subject.

I hesitate between a 2000 and a 3000.
Yes, I know that I can't downgrade the 3000 and that I might buy a 2000 with a ta088 v3.
Still, i'm wandering about skype and also the browser.

I saw some vids on youtube but I'd like to see if someone uses skype with it and if it works well or it sucks, same for the browser, could you go check your mail and some forums and rss easily or it's a pain in the ass.
If someone had compared the two versions (2000 and 3000) for theses functions... I'm listening !

For the games, well if I can't pandorize, I'll buy games wisely
wink.gif

TIA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o