Hacking Thinking about Getting a PS3 JailBreak: Any good?

Bowser-jr

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm thinking about getting a PS3 along with a PS3 jailbreak. Is there anything I should be looking out for when I'm buying a PS3 and PS3 Jailbreak device? I'm looking into it and found this Cobra USB; thinking it might be good. I new to the PS3 scene area so I just want to know if this'll work with the newest games out their and if it'll work with PS3 fw 4.11 and such.

If not, is there a way to Jailbreak a new PS3 system with 4.11 OFW?

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
the good thing that Jailbroken PS3 Console can do is you can do homebrews, this means emulators and apps. Usually I use a homebrew application called "Showtime" it's a media player for PS3 that can play various video/audio/image formats that PS3 cant usually open or played on with SMB support, life gets more easier with this one.

Cobra USB, well it's more like a good for "pirate" solution. It let's you play PS1/PS2 backups straight on your PS3's HDD in native ISO/BIN images. PS3 is also had the same scenario with other PS3 scene formats. And also a bonus turn off Blu-ray Movie Region restiction, so you can play all Blu-ray movies, regardless it's region.

And last, no you cant do anything of this hacks beyond 3.55. So if you're in 4.11, dont push your luck for this thing to work, since it wont work or will never work.

Newest games on jailbroken consoles right now are only working with TrueBlue Dongle. It;s like a re-DRM dongle that let's you play selected 80+ 3.6x-4.11 games (might get updated).

Peter Gatens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are on 4.11 OFW and want to play V3.56 higher games, you need to buy these

1. E3 flasher to downgrade your PS3 to V3.55 then you can play any V3.55 or lower games
2. PS3 True Blue, then you can play V3.56 higher games, (not all of them, there is a compatibility list here: http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/1785-TrueBlue-Game-compatibility-thread )

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the file system of the internal hard drive?

If you try to play a PS3 game off your external Fat32 drive. Does it automatically split the files if its above 4GB?

Does the internal hard drive file system support files over 4GB?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Whats the file system of the internal hard drive? I think it's a proprietary format, and the drive is fully encrypted.

If you try to play a PS3 game off your external Fat32 drive. Does it automatically split the files if its above 4GB? Yes, but read bellow:
When you dump a game, it's copied as file/folder, not as iso, so it's rare to have games with files bigger than 4GB.
If you have a game with such files:
  • If you are dumping the game with a game manager, it will be un/split automatically depending the partition format (internal/external).
  • If you are copying/moving using a Game manager or a homebrew File explorer, it will be un/split automatically
  • If you have the files on your computer
    • you can use homebrew FTP server and transfer the 4GB+ file directly to the PS3 internal HDD.
    • You can use a NTFS drive + a Game manager to copy the file to internal HDD
    • You can use a computer application to un/split the files, then put them on a FAT32 HDD.

games with split files can be played in two ways:
- Copy the Full dumped game to internal HDD (it Will re-create the big files automatically when copying to internal)
- Leave it in split form on the FAT32 HDD, and use a manager which can reconstruct and cache the big 4GB+ file on the internal HDD. The game will be launched from external HDD and the big file will be accessed from the internal one.

Does the internal hard drive file system support files over 4GB? Yes

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the file system of the internal hard drive? I think it's a proprietary format, and the drive is fully encrypted.

If you try to play a PS3 game off your external Fat32 drive. Does it automatically split the files if its above 4GB? Yes, but read bellow:
When you dump a game, it's copied as file/folder, not as iso, so it's rare to have games with files bigger than 4GB.
If you have a game with such files:
  • If you are dumping the game with a game manager, it will be un/split automatically depending the partition format (internal/external).
  • If you are copying/moving using a Game manager or a homebrew File explorer, it will be un/split automatically
  • If you have the files on your computer
    • you can use homebrew FTP server and transfer the 4GB+ file directly to the PS3 internal HDD.
    • You can use a NTFS drive + a Game manager to copy the file to internal HDD
    • You can use a computer application to un/split the files, then put them on a FAT32 HDD.
games with split files can be played in two ways:
- Copy the Full dumped game to internal HDD
- Leave it in split form on the FAT32 HDD, and use a manager which can reconstruct and cache the big 4GB+ file on the internal HDD. The game will be launched from external HDD and the big file will be accessed from the internal one.

Does the internal hard drive file system support files over 4GB? Yes

Thank you very much Cyan.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.11 isn't hackable. u will need 3.55 or lower to jailbreak. I have both the cobra and the TB dongles. cobra will allow u to play psx, ps2, and psp games on an hdd; TB allows u to play games that require 3.6+, but u have to wait for each game fix. afaik, most exclusives have been fixed, so TB, jtag/rgh 360, and a soft-modded wii will allow u to play virtually every console game this gen.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so 4.11 isnt hackable? im also new to this and every download i find for jb 4.11 is full of pases and surveys
passes and survey are traps, they are using fake things that users want, but they don't exist.
It's only to attract people into doing a survey and win money on your back, or give you viruses, etc.

There is no custom firmware or jailbreak 4.11.

The last possible jailbreak is 3.55

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see this warning, but u can't downgrade beyond ur base (whatever the ps3 came with) firmware otherwise u'll brick the system. personally, if u can't downgrade the system to the appropriate firmware, I'd just sell it in favor of rgh'd 360. the pos, or ps3, tos is reason enough not to ever support sony. with an rgh, u can do virtually anything with the system (dlc, xbla, games on an hdd, emulators, homebrew, etc). in fact, with the latest dashlaunch, u can now play indie games which originally required a live connection--but not anymore. :-)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If your PS3 is running anything over 3.55, it is recommended to get a E3Flasher kit. It will allow you to downgrade, install Custom Firmware and even dual-boot between OFW and CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +2