Hacking Thinking about getting a CycloDS

Marc.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole flash card thing. I was thinking about getting a CycloDS because I heard they're one of the better flash cards out there. I just want to ask a few questions...

1. What's the difference between the CycloDS and the Evolution? I'm going to be playing on my DS Lite, not a DSi btw. I just need to put games on it, not e-books or music or whatever
2. I'm thinking about getting this:
http://www.realhotstuff.com/cyclods-evolut...ndle-p-213.html
What exactly is EZV 3 in 1 expansion pack, and is it worth $21? Also, I get the 2gb card without choosing anything from the dropdown menu labeled "memory card" right? I know it says it under Promotion, but I just wanted to make sure.
3. Is installing firmware hard? Remember I'm new to all of this lol, the last time I tried modding my game systems I was playing Halo 2 a good 3 or 4 years ago, and I nearly screwed up my xbox.

Well I think that's it. Any help is appreciated.

Poprocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Marc. said:
1. What's the difference between the CycloDS and the Evolution? I'm going to be playing on my DS Lite, not a DSi btw. I just need to put games on it, not e-books or music or whatever

That's like asking, "What's the difference between 'Sony' and 'Playstation"'; CycloDS is the company, Evolution is the product.

QUOTE said:
2. I'm thinking about getting this:
http://www.realhotstuff.com/cyclods-evolut...ndle-p-213.html
What exactly is EZV 3 in 1 expansion pack, and is it worth $21? Also, I get the 2gb card without choosing anything from the dropdown menu labeled "memory card" right? I know it says it under Promotion, but I just wanted to make sure.

My understanding is that the EZV 3 in 1 is a Slot-2 device that can let you load files from Slot-2... so I guess you'd only need it if you need to load from Slot-2 (ie, for GBA software). About the 2gb card, I don't know the answer to that question.

3. Is installing firmware hard? Remember I'm new to all of this lol, the last time I tried modding my game systems I was playing Halo 2 a good 3 or 4 years ago, and I nearly screwed up my xbox.

Easy as can be. You just download the firmware, and copy the .evo file right onto the root of your MicroSD card (ie, not in any of the folders) and start it up. Usually it will detect that you've put the file there and will prompt you to press A to install it.

Hope that helps...

Marc.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
There is a CycloDS and there is an Evolution? I'm pretty sure it is one whole name.

The sarcasm is unnecessary, but thanks.

And thank you, Poprocks. That post helped a lot. I can't imagine me ever getting anything to put in my GBA slot, I don't need rumble or anything. Like I said, I'm only going to put games on here, I don't need the extra homebrew stuff or anything. I think I'll save myself the 20 bucks. I'll probably order this tomorrow, thanks.

newyears1978

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marc. I just ordered a Cyclo from that website around the 1st, with the promotional 2gb card. I didn't get the EZ31 thing just the regular one..and just letting you know it works amazing. Every game I have tried so far has run perfect..no problems at all, and that is on the generic 2gb card it came with..I havn't bought anotheryet.

Good luck, oh and that company ships fast..took about 4 days to get it..and was only that long due to Jan 1st holiday. Think I actually ordered it on the 30th and got it on the 2nd or something like that..

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are actually 3 different "CycloDS"
One is the CycloDS Mini, which is a slot-2 card that uses miniSD.
Another is the CycloDS Micro. which is a slot-2 card that uses microSD.

And last, there's the CycloDS Evolution, which is the slot-1 card that we all know and love.

Btw, the first two are discontinued and you won't find them in any stores.

Marc.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the posts guys, I ordered my CycloDS with 2gb microSD card a few hours ago, I'm hoping it gets here before Saturday, or at least Saturday by the latest. Really excited, got tons of games I want to play.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1