aphirst

OP
Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure many of you have taken apart laptops.

When one gets to the Processor, Graphics Card, or a few choice Chips/Transistors, one will notice the manufacturer's thermal interface pads which connect the components to the heat-sink plates. I've removed (and, sadly, damaged beyond use) the pads from around the Graphics chip on my laptop, and have applied AS5 grease. However, the chip+grease now does not make contact with the heat-sink plate.

This is because the manufacturer's thermal interface pads are (at a guess) a millimetre thick, possibly slightly more; and there are noticeable gaps between the components and the heat-sink plates.

The question is: Where on earth could I buy a small amount of this thick thermal interface sheet material at a low cost? I'm thinking in the general area of 100x100mm. I've looked before, but have been unable to find anything other than those ones which are barely 0.2mm thick, which are adhesive.

Thanks to anyone who can give me a poke in the right direction.
smile.gif

(Today there should be a post on my GBAtemp blog which details why I removed them in the first place, and why I think I might need something similar now)

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, how about some copper? it's btter for transfering heat, but it can short your laptop, if it connects the wrong contacts

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
aphirst said:
Lee79 said:
You can get it here at Chilled PC.
Oh, excellent. I'll just double-check how thick I need it, then get my hands on some.

How the hell did you find that?
happy.gif

I buy my and PC Fans and Modding stuff from them so knew where to look as soon as I read your question
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy