Theoretically...

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Nerdtendo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    IN THEORY, with enough time, would it be possible to create a homebrew version of a game like Wind Waker or Paper Mario TTYD? Clearly it would take A LOT of work to practically rebuild the game from scratch but is it possible?

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    It's possible you will live on a space colony someday too.

Super1710, xJoelituh, Joel16 and 2 others like this.
  3. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    I think if you wanted Wind Waker on your 3ds, your best bet might be to make a rom hack of the LoZ: Minish Cap.
    Similar Graphics, open world, the base is all there.

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    Short answer: Ttyd would work, Wind Waker wouldn't.

Long answer: You could do it, it would be very "bitcrushed" but only for thousand year door. The thing with Wind Waker is that the 3ds would not be able to handle the vastness of the ocean unless they wanted to shrink it down to Phantom Hourglass proportions which would kill the experience. The reason why a fast sail doesn't exist in og ww but does exist on the wii u is because the boat had to be slow enough to be able to render the ocean while you were sailing because the gamecube couldn't render the ocean all at once. The wii u could render the ocean all at once so the fast sail was introduced so you could travel fast without accidentally going into unloaded areas. If the Gamecube couldn't render the ocean perfectly then I bet the 3DS would do it even worse.

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. Stephano

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    But what if it was made using the Four Swords/ Minish Cap engine?
    I thought that was the kind of things he meant originally

6. Seliph

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I mean, I think that would work but the ocean would still be really weird to do. I don't know how sailing through a big ocean would work in a gba-esque game

7. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Actually I was talking more of the kind of thing that Seliph was talking about. It's just an idea that popped up the other day and it's been bugging me.
    So if I used models akin to those of the Sticker Star, it could work? I'm not quite experienced enough to actually do this but I may try SOMETHING like it as I continue to learn.

Last edited by Nerdtendo, Jun 27, 2017
    Stephano likes this.
  8. Stephano

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    If it was to be done, i believe that each location in WW would have to be divided into around 4 sections. It would be weird.... but it could be done
    upload_2017-6-26_21-26-20.png

9. Seliph

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I'd love to see someone try

Stephano likes this.