TheFlow has discovered a major exploit called bd-jb for PS3, PS4, and PS5, can be used to load game backups burned to discs

photo_2022-06-10_13-34-33.jpg

One of the PlayStation scene's most notable figures, TheFlow (Andy Nguyen), is back at it again. He's discovered a major exploit that affects not just one PlayStation console, but three. A hackerone report by TheFlow sheds light on five vulnerabilities that range in effectiveness, allowing users to load payloads that can be used to exploit the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and even the PlayStation 5. The exploit is referred to as bd-jb, or the Blu-ray Disc Java Sandbox Escape, and was featured during a panel at this year's hardwear.io security conference.

Below are 5 vulnerabilities chained together that allows an attacker to gain JIT capabilities and execute arbitrary payloads. The provided payload triggers a buffer overflow that causes a kernel panic. Please consider each of the vulnerabilities individually. AFAIK, this is the first exploit chain that is being submitted to you :)

According to Nguyen's report, a UDF driver can cause an overflow on both the PS4 and the PS5. An exploit chain, aka bd-jb, can then be loaded as the payload as a burned Blu-ray disc. The hack, in summary, will allow users to burn physical discs of game backups, and then play them on their consoles. This affects PlayStation 4 consoles below OFW 9.50, and PlayStation 5 systems that are below OFW 5.0.

With these vulnerabilities, it is possible to ship pirated games on bluray discs. That is possible even without a kernel exploit as we have JIT capabilities.

TheFlow's panel that discusses the exploit in detail will be uploaded in "a few weeks". The full hackerone report and all of its technical details can be read about below.

Following the initial report, TheFlow made an update to his claims.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
DVD9 discs were expensive back then to burn DVD9 movies and PS2 games (still are) and I can't imagine PS5 (UHD) discs being exactly cheap. Plus, the UHD disc burner.

Cheaper than buying each game? Yeah, I don't doubt, but it's still gonna cost ya.

I'm staying on 9.00 as I'd rather not go back to burning discs. 😅

Blank Triple Layer UHD discs cost around $20.00 each. One burner is $175.00. However, not all games will need 100GB of space, so it will be possible to buy discs that hold less and cost less.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im pretty sure the 25x25gb works as well
or am i wrong?
pretty sure even the ps4 (maybe post pro) uses 100gb discs
I say maybe post pro because when the pro got released, pretty much all AAA games supported 4k, so they required 100gb discs to support 4k stuff in case you use it on the pro

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question is (for EU only sadly) how is auto updates sony/MS are doing different than forced updates for the WiiU the big N got in trouble for doing it back then why is it diff now?
I'm not in the EU, but as long as all options are off it shouldn't update.

If it does, Sony should get sued for it.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's like Sega accidentally allowed commercial Dreamcast consoles to play disc backups.

Did I just compare Dreamcast to PS4/PS5? Yup... 😐
That was amazing - "We have created a unique custom disc format for our console that is unpiratable. In other news, our console supports standard burned discs."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work