THEC64 Mini Release Date Announced

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by T-hug, Jan 31, 2018.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    1.gif
    The fully licensed re-imagining of the 80’s bestselling home computer - THEC64 Mini – will be released on the 29 March 2018.

Developed by Retro Games Ltd - and distributed by Koch Media – THEC64 Mini is half the size of the original C64 and is a fully functioning home computer that connects directly to your television and comes with two USB ports for the joystick and a keyboard.

Launched in 1982, the C64 home computer went on to dominate the home computer scene throughout the 1980s. Millions of units were sold across the world and have a special place in the hearts of its former owners.

35 years later and it’s back as the reimagined THEC64 Mini. Plugging into any modern TV via its HDMI port, users can play any one of the 64 licensed classic pre-installed games. This includes games from developers like Epyx, Gremlin Graphics, Hewson and The Bitmap Brothers boasting titles such as California Games, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, Paradroid and Impossible Mission.

Capture.PNG

Also included is the classic puzzler Boulder Dash. The game sees ‘Rockford’ cavern crawling in search of gems while trying to avoid creatures, cave-ins and gas explosions. Stephan Berendsen, President of BBG Entertainment GmbH said: “Retro Games and BBG brought back together what has always belonged dating back to 1984 - the C64 and Boulder Dash.”

Most of these games were rated over 90% by leading publications of the day, with many winning coveted awards. From sports to shooters, platforms to puzzles, there is a plethora of titles to keep the most discerning retro enthusiast happy.

“We are delighted to bring to retail THEC64 mini and let both original fans of the machine, and all-new generations of games players discover this amazing system, as well as maybe even have a go at programming it for themselves!”, said Paul Andrews, Retro Games’ Managing Director.

:arrow:THEC64 Mini Official Site

XDel, Jacklack3, rileysrjay and 4 others like this.
  2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    These Mini/Classic versions of older hardware sure are proving to be popular. Of all things, though, I feel like a Commodore 64 is the most unexpected one. The fact that it even comes with a keyboard that looks like the original is actually kinda cool, too. Super retro

3. 330

330 Banned

Banned
    Nov 20, 2017
    Nauru
    Comfy nest
    There have been plenty of mini C64 machines. This isn't the first nor the last.

The real question is: how easy can we hack it? As there is no mention of it anywhere on the site. You can plug an USB keyboard in, but what about other peripherals like a disk or cassette reader?

LOL WHAT?

Last edited by 330, Jan 31, 2018
    Subtle Demise and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    The keyboard is just for show though, which is kind of stupid. Also when I emulate the C64 I create a loadable image of the game loaded at the titlescreen of whatever game I'm playing (I create these the first time I play a C64 game I know I'll be coming back to). That's what should be done with all things C64.

Sped up loading and a limited set of games that are missing a lot of great C64 games is not a good option for me, but I'm not the target audience for this kind of thing I guess, I did grow up with the C64 though. I understand they are releasing a full size version later on... and that's a bit more interesting (most likely I will not get it anyway because I don't need more stuff).

Last edited by TVL, Jan 31, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. 330

330 Banned

Banned
    Nov 20, 2017
    Nauru
    Comfy nest
    I found the list of included games:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

T-hug likes this.
  6. DSAndi

DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Waste of money, if the keyboard was functional so i can use it like back then, i could think of buying it.
    In the state it is, you better off with some Raspberry Pi Zero w if you want it cheap or spend a little more and go for Raspberry pi 3b and a NESPI Case.

The Joystick was pretty bad back then, even the Quickshot one was only ok. Basicly its better you will use a different one anyway.
    Im sure there will be ppl that buy this anyway.

DaMan, SLiV3R and DayVeeBoi like this.
  7. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N OSHA Man

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    Hopefully the system will implement some sort of command line much like the original had and not just be a front-end launcher for the games. That was half the fun of those old 80s Computers like the C64 and ZX Spectrum anyways.

8. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Fan

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    Looks like crap to me. Just another cheap-ass SOC in a box. No serial bus to connect drives (1541 or SD IEC). Doubt it even has a cartridge slot.

This reminds me of the time a few years back when some lamers tried to sell a brownish PC with C64-themed linux distribution that included a bundled c64 emulator as the New C64 or some such nonsense.

9. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Nice but i'll skip :P
    I want a full functionial mini Amiga500+ (or mini Amiga 1200)
    THAT i would buy :)

wii_go likes this.
  10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Inb4 CD-i Mini

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  11. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2016
    I'd be interested in one of these if the games selection wasn't so crap. I had a C64 and loved it but I see very few of the games I owned.

12. johnbus

johnbus GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    I'm hoping for a 3DO Mini.

wii_go likes this.
  13. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard Something happened. Now what was it?

Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    What the hell is up with remixed consoles?

14. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    I won't be surprised if it turns out to be a android box running a C64 emulator, or even an old Rasp Pi model.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  15. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    DayVeeBoi is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Ontario
    Hopefully it will be based on Jeri Ellsworth's SOC, which is supposed to be an excellent implementation that was both hackable and cheap but has become hard to find and expensive. It'd be great to get some of that silicon more available. See C-64 DTV for more info.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Turns out game companies like money.

DayVeeBoi and Spectral Blizzard like this.
  17. Polopop123

Polopop123 Suspended

Suspended
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    Unfortunate logo considering how cancerous the LGBT community is. Not gay people but just the actions of the community itself

Subtle Demise likes this.
  18. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    why the fake keyboard? it makes no sence...

19. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    This is a piece of crap.

Fake keyboard.

Standard raspberry thing.

20. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    If this lets us write any program we want, à la Hakchi2, I'd be interested to get it, especially if I could get any C64 game, homebrew, and demo to run on it.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.