THEC64 Mini Release Date Announced

1.gif

The fully licensed re-imagining of the 80’s bestselling home computer - THEC64 Mini – will be released on the[prebreak]1[/prebreak] 29 March 2018.

Developed by Retro Games Ltd - and distributed by Koch Media – THEC64 Mini is half the size of the original C64 and is a fully functioning home computer that connects directly to your television and comes with two USB ports for the joystick and a keyboard.

Launched in 1982, the C64 home computer went on to dominate the home computer scene throughout the 1980s. Millions of units were sold across the world and have a special place in the hearts of its former owners.

35 years later and it’s back as the reimagined THEC64 Mini. Plugging into any modern TV via its HDMI port, users can play any one of the 64 licensed classic pre-installed games. This includes games from developers like Epyx, Gremlin Graphics, Hewson and The Bitmap Brothers boasting titles such as California Games, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, Paradroid and Impossible Mission.

Capture.PNG

Also included is the classic puzzler Boulder Dash. The game sees ‘Rockford’ cavern crawling in search of gems while trying to avoid creatures, cave-ins and gas explosions. Stephan Berendsen, President of BBG Entertainment GmbH said: “Retro Games and BBG brought back together what has always belonged dating back to 1984 - the C64 and Boulder Dash.”

Most of these games were rated over 90% by leading publications of the day, with many winning coveted awards. From sports to shooters, platforms to puzzles, there is a plethora of titles to keep the most discerning retro enthusiast happy.

“We are delighted to bring to retail THEC64 mini and let both original fans of the machine, and all-new generations of games players discover this amazing system, as well as maybe even have a go at programming it for themselves!”, said Paul Andrews, Retro Games’ Managing Director.

:arrow:THEC64 Mini Official Site

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
These Mini/Classic versions of older hardware sure are proving to be popular. Of all things, though, I feel like a Commodore 64 is the most unexpected one. The fact that it even comes with a keyboard that looks like the original is actually kinda cool, too. Super retro
There have been plenty of mini C64 machines. This isn't the first nor the last.

The real question is: how easy can we hack it? As there is no mention of it anywhere on the site. You can plug an USB keyboard in, but what about other peripherals like a disk or cassette reader?

Note: The keyboard keys are non-functional

LOL WHAT?

* Packaging does not include AC Adapter

Last edited by 330,

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
These Mini/Classic versions of older hardware sure are proving to be popular. Of all things, though, I feel like a Commodore 64 is the most unexpected one. The fact that it even comes with a keyboard that looks like the original is actually kinda cool, too. Super retro

The keyboard is just for show though, which is kind of stupid. Also when I emulate the C64 I create a loadable image of the game loaded at the titlescreen of whatever game I'm playing (I create these the first time I play a C64 game I know I'll be coming back to). That's what should be done with all things C64.

Sped up loading and a limited set of games that are missing a lot of great C64 games is not a good option for me, but I'm not the target audience for this kind of thing I guess, I did grow up with the C64 though. I understand they are releasing a full size version later on... and that's a bit more interesting (most likely I will not get it anyway because I don't need more stuff).

Last edited by TVL,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I found the list of included games:

• Alleykat
  • Anarchy
  • The Arc of Yesod
  • Armalyte
  • Avenger
  • Battle Valley
  • Bounder
  • California Games
  • Chip's Challenge
  • Confuzion
  • Cosmic Causeway
  • Creatures
  • Cyberdyne Warrior
  • Cybernoid
  • Cybernoid II
  • Deflektor
  • Everyone's a Wally
  • Firelord
  • Gribbly's Day Out
  • Hawkeye
  • Heartland
  • Herobotix
  • Highway Encounter
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Hysteria
  • Impossible Mission
  • Impossible Mission II
  • Insects in Space
  • Mega-Apocalypse
  • Mission A.D.
  • Monty Mole
  • Monty on the Run
  • Nebulus
  • Netherworld
  • Nobby the Aardvark
  • Nodes of Yesod
  • Paradroid
  • Pitstop II
  • Ranarama
  • Robin of the Wood
  • Rubicon
  • Skate Crazy
  • Skool Daze
  • Slayer
  • Snare
  • Speedball
  • Speedball 2
  • Spin Dizzy
  • Star Paws
  • Steel
  • Stormlord
  • Street Sports Baseball
  • Summer Games II
  • Super Cycle
  • Temple of Apshai Trilogy
  • Thing on a Spring
  • Thing Bounces Back
  • Trailblazer
  • Uchi Mata
  • Uridium
  • Who Dares Wins II
  • Winter Games
  • World Games
  • Zynaps

Reactions: T-hug

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Waste of money, if the keyboard was functional so i can use it like back then, i could think of buying it.
In the state it is, you better off with some Raspberry Pi Zero w if you want it cheap or spend a little more and go for Raspberry pi 3b and a NESPI Case.

The Joystick was pretty bad back then, even the Quickshot one was only ok. Basicly its better you will use a different one anyway.
Im sure there will be ppl that buy this anyway.

D

Deleted User

Hopefully the system will implement some sort of command line much like the original had and not just be a front-end launcher for the games. That was half the fun of those old 80s Computers like the C64 and ZX Spectrum anyways.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like crap to me. Just another cheap-ass SOC in a box. No serial bus to connect drives (1541 or SD IEC). Doubt it even has a cartridge slot.

This reminds me of the time a few years back when some lamers tried to sell a brownish PC with C64-themed linux distribution that included a bundled c64 emulator as the New C64 or some such nonsense.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd be interested in one of these if the games selection wasn't so crap. I had a C64 and loved it but I see very few of the games I owned.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Supports software updates via USB flash drive

If this lets us write any program we want, à la Hakchi2, I'd be interested to get it, especially if I could get any C64 game, homebrew, and demo to run on it.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over