The Wii U needs more Homebrew Game Ports. Why are people not making ports for the Wii U and instead the Wii?

86houdini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like a white noise machine for the Wii U, shouldn't be a terribly difficult homebrew project.
Why the Wii U? Gamepad on Dock is a perfect candidate, with it's speaker and such.
Could be as simple as a menu that plays and loops .ogg files with a black screen.

Jilou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
bet
Post automatically merged:

Are you sure??? Can I have a link? because I am not searching through 703 pages for no GTA

I have just looking for it and you right there are too many pages... So you can find it in the first message on the first page in the thread : PPSSPP discussion and testing thread ^^.
Post automatically merged:

For the subject about Wii U homebrew, I think we have very good developpers and they always make many things for the Wii U and they have not time enough for make everything... That why I try my self to improve Yabause (The Sega Saturn emulator) and I think it's a good emulator because I can play games with a good perfom now...
However, it'll be great that many other people form a group in oder to make a commun project for the Wii U ^^.

Last edited by Jilou,

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-There's a barrier to entry for Wii U homebrew compared to the wii ($8 for a game to inject with CHBC unless that's changed) while modding the Wii is completely free

Its been free for a couple years now, aroma for the latest and tiramisu if you want legacy homebrew
as mentioned before the biggest issue now is hardware acceleration but you could always just use the official SDK if you dont care.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
What might add up to this is that many developers don't have the skills to write shaders for the GPU in assembly but we still don't have an open source shader compiler (there's rumor that one such compiler exists since a few years but it hasn't been released to the public yet). For porting games you need to utilize the GPUs 3D power through.
People like Gary can do the assembly shader programming and they are indeed doing game ports (but they are also busy with other stuff and do what they feel is right, not what the community dictates).
oh has nobody told you yet? https://github.com/Exzap/CafeGLSL

it's the sickest thing to ever happen in GX2. you can port stuff from shadertoy and it all just kinda works.

• Love
Reactions: lordelan

Anikemi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe If someone do a guide about how to port games... But surely it's not a easy thing to do.
Porting things like the extra content that Nintendo put in their Wiiu ports to Switch would be a great thing. Like bowser's fury in super mario 3d land. Or the extra courses of mk8.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii U doesn't have that much homebrew because it's the middle child. The Wii is a fun console to develop for because it's underpowered and nostalgic, and the Switch is better to develop for because it's the newest, fastest, and has lots more support from the bigger userbase.
-There's a barrier to entry for Wii U homebrew compared to the wii ($8 for a game to inject with CHBC unless that's changed) while modding the Wii is completely free
-The OG Switch is mostly free to mod (kinda costs $20 if you want an RCM loader) and it was able to be softmodded much earlier in its life cycle compared to the Wii U. The Switch was announced literally a week after the "Brazilian method" exploit was utilized to pirate games on the Wii U
Also don't forget that the 3DS modding scene was huge and blowing up while the Wii U was slowly dying out. All the devs were busy getting stuff running on the consoles that they all had
Not much is happening in the Switch homebrew scene within the last two years though. It started great and spawned some amazing apps. And obviously Atmosphère as a CFW is outstanding. But it's not that we see new homebrew apps for the Switch every week although it's easier to develop for it, compared to the Wii U.
I don't know what the exact reason is for that, especially since basically all consoles (over 100 million) are hackable through a mod chip and around 20 million (all consoles up until June 2018) are even hackable via softmod. 20 million! That's even more than all ever sold Wii U consoles on this planet.

I would have loved to see a real browser like Chromium or Firefox on the Switch. Or something like KODI or PLEX (NXMP is great though).

I think a lot of that has to do with all the unnecessary (!!!) drama that happened. Talented people like @rajkosto @JRoad @HiD @m4xw @XorTroll and even @blawar (say about him what you want, his talent was undeniable though) either left the scene for good or at least drastically decreased activity.
They are not to be blamed. m4xw for example might have decreased his output since he as working on RetroArch and it is basically done for the most part as it is now in sync with the official releases and thus gets updated along with them. XorTroll is rather active on his Discord than here and I think blawar still updates Tinfoil silently from time to time.

I still feel like these people could do so many more homebrews if they wanted (and had the time?).

Reactions: orangy57

Jilou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe If someone do a guide about how to port games... But surely it's not a easy thing to do.
Porting things like the extra content that Nintendo put in their Wiiu ports to Switch would be a great thing. Like bowser's fury in super mario 3d land. Or the extra courses of mk8.
I agree with you : we need a guide about how to port games on Wii U...
For extra courses of MK8 we are Lucky to have these on the thread :

Mario Kart 8 Ultimate, download the alpha now! 104 additional courses to the base game!

Thank you very much for their work ^^.

86houdini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand, we must connect at this webside with the Wii U GamePad ? (For the moment I looked it with my phone).
it is a website designed for the wii u gamepad yes, so you can have your gamepad act as a clock display, or quickly check a walkthru, was a web dev test for myself

BrokenTape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Because people are too busy doing crappy 2-hour video essays messing with the console and saying shit like "nO oNe BoUgHt A wIi U" instead of doing something productive and interesting related to the system...

Human mediocrity at its peak.

Jilou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because people are too busy doing crappy 2-hour video essays messing with the console and saying shit like "nO oNe BoUgHt A wIi U" instead of doing something productive and interesting related to the system...

Human mediocrity at its peak.

We live in a consumer society... It's good to remember that you also have to try to do it yourself... And what I read as comments above shows that there are people who also want to do ^^.

Reactions: BrokenTape

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU