Hardware The "what computer should I buy/build" thread?

JohnLoco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are no such thing as super fast DDR2 memory or Super fast HDD (if it's not a SSD, which it is not).

The computer is crap, but i dont know. For 160dollars you dont get much.
It's probably enough for maplestory and whatnot.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's better than what I have now, so I'm willing to spend anything.

I have 512MB of RAM. 160GB of hd, and a TERRIBLE graphics card. I honestly can't even use Google Earth.

This would upgrade my RAM to 2GB, 160GB hd stays the same, and it gives me a nice graphics card. Also, it has a cleared out harddrive, which is what I need to do. But deleting my 60GB folder would take years. Lol

alphenor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
N
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
Keep saving and get something better, otherwise you'll be disappointed with it in 6 months time and want/need to dish out more $$$ for upgrades.

and what, you'll be doing it until the computer reached its maximum possible capacity?

sorry for that statement...it's just that thinking is a repetitive thinking that'll last for several years or so..

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's a Dell computer, the kind you get by the dozen for schools and offices. It's not designed to play games, it's only designed to use the internet, read emails, and use MS Office. Again, it's not designed to play games - it's (almost certainly) using integrated Intel graphics which anyone can tell you sucks at gaming (and HD multimedia playback, but that's another story).

If you don't want to play games on it, then it's actually a decent looking computer for someone who only has basic needs. Too bad it's completely vague on exactly what parts it has so I can't tell how old it actually is.

Crappy computer topic aside, why did you have to create another thread that is identical to your other thread? Is it too much trouble just to post in that thread and say "Ok, I found another computer, is this any better than the other?". Nobody minds the dozens of threads you've created in the past that ask different questions, but it does get tiring seeing a "I want a new computer, is this any good?" thread for the 4th time from the same person.

And incase the question pops up, the comp you linked in your other thread is slightly better (AMD HD 3000 integrated graphics are better than Intel integrated graphics, except for the Intel HD 3000 graphics in Sandy Bridge CPUs).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There's a trend for computer ranges. Budget systems generally need to be replaced every year, mid-ranged systems last 2-4 years before feeling the need to upgrade, and high end computers can last as much as 8 years before being unable to play newer games.

I won't comment on whether buying a cheaper computer or saving for a better computer is best. It all comes down to individual needs and circumstances.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is pretty much the opposite of a gaming computer, but actually a fairly decent machine for its price, I would say. The graphics are pretty much worthless if you are into 3D games, and even I as an active avoider of high-end gaming video would stay away from something like that if I were to build myself a machine, but you get what you pay for and if you cannot (or do not want to) pay for a GPU capable of rendering high-res games, this is what you get.

And Win7 runs fine at a wide variety of display resolutions, just like XP does. I am running mine at UXGA resolution (1600x1200), with my secondary screen at XGA (1024x768) and it runs just fine. In fact, it even runs fine on just the small one, I have tried once when my old DVI-I-cable somehow got bent out of shape. It even works (to some degree) on small resolutions like VGA or SVGA (my old GPU died a few weeks ago and I was forced to run at that resolution due to the safe mode driver being the only thing that still got me any picture at all), but you honestly would not want that. In fact, 1080p is a stupid resolution for computers. Sure, widescreen is great for multimedia, but sucks for desktops: toolbars and window decoration are usually horizontal, taking away valuable vertical resolution, and most western text documents (and by extension websites) usually extend vertically, making a 3:4 display more sensible than a 16:9 one (and in fact, my monitor supports 3:4 resolutions thanks to a pivot joint). So do not worry about your monitor, it ought to work.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I rather like widescreen on my PC. My main TV Monitor is set to 1680x1050 (it could do 1920x1080 but there's no need) and the secondary 1280x1024. I usually keep the start bar on the left except when viewing movies, and there are many games that really benefit from the wider viewing angles.

As for why he needs 1080p... well unless he tells us the reasons I just assume he does (for the purpose of giving advice). I don't know how he'll afford a 24" monitor (usually £200+) when he's only looking at budget PCs (or destitute if you're going by the classing of the guide I keep posting). At this rate I don't think he'll ever get to play TF2 at max settings.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
Aijelsop said:
I was looking into a Windows 7 desktop, but after learning that I needed to buy a supported 1080p monitor
What?

And as said no, that is NOT a nice graphics card. It's shit.
It doesn't even have a graphics card...
wacko.gif

Also, the name and the technical details contradict eachother.
wacko.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Also, the name and the technical details contradict eachother.
That's a sign that the person who put it up for sale doesn't know what's actually inside it, just what it says on the cover/in Windows.

QUOTEmy school has these same exact ones
they are slow!
More often than otherwise, school computers are only slow because of how they're set up. Some schools will make you draw program files from a server (and not from the local drive) which will always slow things down, and some schools will bog their computers down with any number of security applications.

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a good computer, not even worth the money.
Save up your money and build something half-way decent for under $300.

This thing would play all the games you want, at absolute lowest quality and with plenty of lag.
Is that what you want?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
I won't comment on whether buying a cheaper computer or saving for a better computer is best. It all comes down to individual needs and circumstances.
It's almost always better to buy what you need at the moment instead of buying what you need in the future. Simply because the better performance stuff is most likely cheaper when you actually need it.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
If you want to use it for your homework...awesome!
If you want to use it as a kick ass media server...that's awesome too!
Gaming...don't even think about it, unless you don't plan on playing anything made past 2005.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol