The Top 15 Pokémon Japanese Versions' Mascots

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The majority of these box arts seem to be pretty ugly and poorly thought out; having a vote on which is the best seems to be a bit pointless.

I mean, the Pokemon games are massive moneymakers. Would it really be so difficult to spend a little bit more on the cover designs?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Foxi4']

Didn't someone have to design that "clip art". As in draw something from their head and put it into the physical realm. Last time I checked, the title "art", is granted to works that someone has taken an idea and granted it life in the physical world.

Oh, and to be sure I just want people to stop saying these aren't art. They may be ugly or poorly thought out, but they're still art. Thank you.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='Foxi4']

Didn't someone have to design that "clip art". As in draw something from their head and put it into the physical realm. Last time I checked, the title "art", is granted to works that someone has taken an idea and granted it life in the physical world.

Oh, and to be sure I just want people to stop saying these aren't art. They may be ugly or poorly thought out, but they're still art. Thank you.
Those drawings were not drawn with the intention of putting them on the box, if you haven't noticed. They're artworks that were prepared for sprite artists.

Gamefreak just slapped them on the boxes rather than making something else specifically for the purpose. If you don't believe me, just compare the drawings with the sprites you can find in given Pokedexes.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Foxi4']

Those drawings were not drawn with the intention of putting them on the box, if you haven't noticed. They're artworks that were prepared for sprite artists.

Gamefreak just slapped them on the boxes rather than making something else specifically for the purpose. If you don't believe me, just compare the drawings with the sprites you can find in given Pokedexes.
No, I understand. I just think that regardless of intention they should still be considered art.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not saying they are not "art", I'm saying that they don't have artistic value, and there is a huge difference.

Some people consider a blue stroke of crayon on a red splash of paint "art", I consider it a doodle. In this case, I completely acknowledge that people drew those Pokemon and I find the particular drawings "good", however those drawings are not the boxart - the boxart is the whole.

And the "whole" is some blank space and a clipart pasted in. Those are the facts.

I could enumerate a number of "good" boxarts with artwork that was specifically drawn to land on the cover, but what for? People can clearly see that these boxes were hastily made. Not even designed, just "made" for "having a box" sake.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The majority of these box arts seem to be pretty ugly and poorly thought out; having a vote on which is the best seems to be a bit pointless.

I mean, the Pokemon games are massive moneymakers. Would it really be so difficult to spend a little bit more on the cover designs?
Read my post, please.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. My other point still stands.

D

Deleted-236924

@Gahars : Boxarts aren't really important for a game, though.
What's really important is the game itself.

Though poorly-thought out boxarts might make people not want to buy a game, Pokémon is already well-known enough that they could have a white box with "Pokémon" written in Arial or something and people would still buy it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Gahars : Boxarts aren't really important for a game, though.
What's really important is the game itself.

Though poorly-thought out boxarts might make people not want to buy a game, Pokémon is already well-known enough that they could have a white box with "Pokémon" written in Arial or something and people would still buy it.

But the Box art is important to a game; it's the first impression you make on a potential buyer, and its how the game presents itself. A game (or anything) with a great cover can grab someone's interest and communicate just what exactly they are looking at. Is it a fun, lively, and vivid experience, or is it a serious game with a grand, epic scope? A glance at either of these two examples conveys a ton of information far more efficiently than text alone.

Just because a game franchise doesn't need that to guarantee success doesn't really excuse laziness; it just shows that the publisher take their customers for granted, which is not an attitude I'm fond of.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying they are not "art", I'm saying that they don't have artistic value, and there is a huge difference.

Some people consider a blue stroke of crayon on a red splash of paint "art", I consider it a doodle. In this case, I completely acknowledge that people drew those Pokemon and I find the particular drawings "good", however those drawings are not the boxart - the boxart is the whole.

And the "whole" is some blank space and a clipart pasted in. Those are the facts.

I could enumerate a number of "good" boxarts with artwork that was specifically drawn to land on the cover, but what for? People can clearly see that these boxes were hastily made. Not even designed, just "made" for "having a box" sake.
I can agree with this.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Pokemon boxarts are crap, why is there voting on it? It's basically just an image of a Pokemon with whatever random effects you can conjure up in Photoshop in the background. Any Photoshop kiddy can do it.

Now if they voted on like other series box art then that'd be different.
Guild, remember this is Japan we're talking about.

EDIT: it is about the mascot. Well DUH. Rayquaza kicks your ass.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I can agree with this.
Goodie, I'm glad we're on the same page. I didn't want my post to be understood as "this is as bad as a blank piece of paper", that's not what I meant. All I wanted to say is that the boxes weren't really "designed" in the sense that there was no ulterior motive behind their design, no message to convey or anything of the sort - it was just a "let's put a Pokemon on the cover" sort of thing, this I do find it just a "choose your favourite Pokemon" poll, and it actually appears to have been exactly that from what I'm reading.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not particularly related but since someone posted the pic.... anyone else think the bloke[?] in the FFXIII-2 logo could do with holding that sword of his in a different place, or is he simply making up for a lack of 'man sword'?? Having said that, one of the reasons I've been put off recent FF games is the general mardness of the male protagonists - maybe they were castrated as kids??

Er, anyway, Pikachu looks like he's got a bad case of mumps in his pic.... But I care not anyway... pokemon for me has always been about the game itself - if I rip the box clamouring for the new pokemon fix, who cares!? :D

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon boxarts are crap, why is there voting on it? It's basically just an image of a Pokemon with whatever random effects you can conjure up in Photoshop in the background. Any Photoshop kiddy can do it.

Now if they voted on like other series box art then that'd be different.
Are they really crap or are you exagerrating? Because I've seen crap art, and I wouldn't group that in with this. I mean, sure it's nothing special, but it's not trying to be.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That wasn't even a poll about which boxart they like the most; It was a poll about which mascot Pokémon they liked the best.
Get your facts straight, please.

http://projectpokemo...y-Poll-Rayquaza
Well, you're right, but at the end of the day it doesn't make any difference since mascot Pokemons are obviously the most important part of Pokemon boxarts.

D

Deleted-236924

That wasn't even a poll about which boxart they like the most; It was a poll about which mascot Pokémon they liked the best.

Well, you're right, but at the end of the day it doesn't make any difference since mascot Pokemons are obviously the most important part of Pokemon boxarts.
It makes a difference, because people are arguing (sometimes flaming each other) about how a vote about boxarts makes no sense.
But the vote was here to decide which mascot Pokémon would be given out at the next event in Japan, which is totally different.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It makes a difference, because people are arguing (sometimes flaming each other) about how a vote about boxarts makes no sense.
But the vote was here to decide which mascot Pokémon would be given out at the next event in Japan, which is totally different.
Doesn't that kinda make this entire topic...misleading?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Still, if you were asked to vote which pokemon maskot art used on a boxart you like the most, it still relates to the boxart and ultimately the results would be no different.

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pokemon Crystal is the game I remembered spending most of my time before.It was cool since it didn't have the nature and ev s**t that made the game so technical.

Well Emerald was the most chosen because of Rayquaza.
Rayquaza has to be one of the best looking Pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1