The photon 4g will not be getting ICS now

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by air2004, Oct 7, 2012.

Oct 7, 2012
  1. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57526994-94/android-users-outraged-over-motorolas-broken-promise/

But for Else and thousands of others, those operating system updates turned out to be a mirage. Last Friday, buried in a Motorola forum, the company quietly abandoned its update pledge, killing off plans to ever update the Photon 4G. The Electrify, a re-branded Photon available on the US Cellular network, and the Atrix 4G, a flagship phone that debuted on AT&T in the United States, got the axe as well.

I don't know about you all , but I think my next phone maybe a windows 8 phone. If I do happen to stick with android , it sure as hell wont be with moto.
    What do you all think about this ?

2. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Checking it on XDA they have custom JB ROMs so I don't really see the problem here and all companies are like this with their phones, when they release it they don't bother supporting it and its up to the community to make improvements to it.

3. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I understand that sometimes. But in this case MOTO straight out lied.

4. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    I think you should have bought a Nexus.

(If you think things are better on Windows 8, you're wrong. The track history is that Windows phones never get support for the next OS. Win 6 phones didn't support Win 7, and Win 7 phones won't support Win 8.)

5. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    HTC + ROMs from XDA Dev = The all-around best Android experience.

Motorola cancelling plans like that doesn't surprise me much, to be honest. If putting ICS on the Photon (and making it work nice) is too hard for Motorola, it's not worth doing the upgrade. ICS upgrades are pure cost to hardware manufacturers, no gain.

6. Thanatos Telos

Member Thanatos Telos random stuff

United States
    Just for Android, other manufacturers give their phones at least 1-2 years of updates. Samsung and HTC are pretty good too.

7. geishroy

Suspended geishroy Suspended

United States
    kind of glad my atrix digitizer broke now,,, galaxy note ii forever

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well, to clear things up, "Windows 8" won't run on phones. Windows R/T is the name of the version that will run on phones, and it's not in the windows phone line from what I've read, it's literally the port of Windows 8 to phones.

However since the phones are ARM and not x86, normal windows software will not run on them (like how windows software won't run on android and OSX software won't run on iOS). This is probably why they called it something else instead of "Windows 8", so people wouldn't think they can install x86-compiled software on it.

9. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
  10. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    of course...good ol moto doesn't want you holding onto your old device forever now would they??

If they released ICS for this..then fewer people would BUY a new device or UPGRADE. And now that Google has acquired them..I wouldn't put it past them to drop support for an older device for the reason of forced obsolescence. this reminds me of a practice from a certain white fruit.

locked HDMI (can only use it for SD card video and photo display) and locked bootloaders, and constant attacks on rooting (HTC and samsung are not without faults either) is the reason why I will never own a Moto device

no other company will make you use "SAFESTRAP" to use a custom rom on a moto device. I shouldn't have create a second partition and move all the first partition stock ICS items on the SD card in order to use a custom rom. totally uncalled for. you don't see HTC or Samsung pulling that shit.

11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's fitting that this Photon related claim had no real weight behind it.

3 people like this.
  12. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    Well Samsung does kinda support their phones but not really and I don't know about HTC though since I don't like the phones cause of the locked bootloader.

13. Thanatos Telos

Member Thanatos Telos random stuff

United States
    Well, my friend's EVO 4G from two years ago received updates 'till this year.

14. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    Wow, that's pretty good actually. Well all these companies are different and HTC I guess is better at supporting their phones long after its release...just not making it dev friendly.

15. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I can't be the only other one who got this.

1 person likes this.