The original Silent Hill 2 gets a modern camera mod by Zealot Tormunds

The adept developer Zealot Tormunds, who initially worked on a modern camera mod for "Silent Hill 4: The Room", and then continued right after finishing that one with a modern camera mod for Silent Hill 3, has now finished his latest mod, being of course a modern camera mod for the beloved psychological horror classic "Silent Hill 2".

Developer Zealot Tormunds teased worked on a modern camera mod for the original Silent Hill 2 for PC back when the initial work and release for the camera mod for Silent Hill 3 was finished. As with the other two Silent Hill mods of his, this one incorporates a full 3rd person over-the-shoulder camera to Silent Hill 2, which makes controlling and playing the game similar to that of modern games like the recent Resident Evil remakes (RE2/RE3/RE4). Not only that, but the mod also has an option for a 1st Person camera if the players wants to experience the game in a much more immersive manner.

This mod includes the following features:
  • The already mentioned 3rd and 1st person cameras alongside manual aiming.
  • Support with the "Born From A Wish" scenario that focuses on Maria.
  • Overall map fixes have implemented for the new camera to add missing geometry for places that the player wasn't supposed to see.
  • Compatibility with the "Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition" mod (considered by many the definitive way to experience the original title).
  • Includes an external settings application for the user to modify certain options of the mod, like visibility of the player, camera sensitivity, camera distances, FOV value, toggle manual aim and 1st person perspective, amongst others.
1726860604304.png

Installation Instructions said:
Instructions:
Drag and drop all the files from the .rar into your SH2 root folder. Replace if prompted. This is compatible with SH2 Enhanced Edition. To open the mod menu, pause the game with ESC and then press F1. This only works when your game is paused. Any errors, crashes or softlocks you find, let me know. Also, I've added F2 as the hotkey to switch the camera mod ON/OFF while you're in game. Use it if you don't wanna go into the mod menu.

Those interested in checking out the Silent Hill 2 Modern Camera Mod by Zealot Tormunds can visit his GitHub repository for the SH2 Camera Mod and follow the instructions specified in the repository to install the mod.
Be mindful that this mod is only compatible with the PC release of Silent Hill 2.

:arrow: SH2 Cam Mod GitHub repository

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The toggle option is great in case you notice the original camera adds to the experience, you can just turn the mod OFF for a situation.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm.. I personally never had an issue with the camera in SH2, or even the first one.. But the tank controls? Hell yea, that's what i like to see (mod) fixed

Reactions: Blythe93
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just love me mods of this sort for older games, ahah.
It's like that one mod for Luigi's Mansion that basically turns it into an fps, its cool to try a game again from a different angle, heh.

Reactions: osaka35

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love this. Not only do we have the best version of silent 2, we have the remake coming out soon. even if it sucks, we've got the original.

me so happy.
That's a good mindset to have. I'm glad that SH2 gets the fan attention it gets. All these talented devs have made the PC version (of all things) the definitive way to play. I've played the PS2/PC versions through several times now, and it never really gets old.

I am concerned about how the remake devs treat the source material, but there will always be the original.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a month before a true HD remake releases.
Post automatically merged:

Love this. Not only do we have the best version of silent 2, we have the remake coming out soon. even if it sucks, we've got the original.

me so happy.

The devs of SH 2 remake made The Medium which I beat I enjoyed it but the gameplay was lacking. Then again SH is not really known for great gameplay anyway. I think it'll be solid.

Reactions: osaka35

Kazmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm.. I personally never had an issue with the camera in SH2, or even the first one.. But the tank controls? Hell yea, that's what i like to see (mod) fixed
I'm pretty sure you could disable tank controls in Silent Hill 2. Change it from "3D Movement" to "2D Movement" in the settings, or maybe I have it backwards.

Personally, I think the game was designed around them and work best with the tank controls. I felt oddly neutered when I turned them off.

Reactions: MFDC12

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you could disable tank controls in Silent Hill 2. Change it from "3D Movement" to "2D Movement" in the settings, or maybe I have it backwards.

Personally, I think the game was designed around them and work best with the tank controls. I felt oddly neutered when I turned them off.
Yeah I always feel out of place when I say I like the tank controls. I think it adds to the experience, idk.

Reactions: Kazmar

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate this angle and RE4 for popularizing it. LET ME ZOOM OUT ITS TOO CLOSE AHHHHHHHHHHH I HATE IT
You know, I remember the first time I loaded up RE4, and I thought I'd struggle with Leon taking up about half the screen. Of course, I ended up playing it through many times. RE4's camera setup is perfect for limited vision while emphasizing combat. SH2 is more of an exploration deal, so the original camera setup in arguably the best. Still, you never know how something may complement a game until you see it in action.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.