1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the demo for this game and it was half life 2 episode 2 (i think) and it said it was rated teen. It didn't seem to bad, no one ever cursed but there were a lot of bloody zombies. I checked back online and it said it was rated M. Is it just team fortress 2 that is rated M? This game is discounted for 20 dollars at gamestop and I may get it. I just need to know how bad team fortress 2 is and what the characters say in half life.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't recall being a lot of cursing in the HL games. It's mostly rated M for the massive amount of blood and gore in TF2.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just checked xbox.com and went to the marketplace. It said the entire orange box was rated Teen instead of Mature.

Did they change it or something?

Heatguyred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Its actually reted T-M

im guessing portal is the one rated teen and the rest are M

but DO get it, you wont regret it

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Heatguyred said:
Its actually reted T-M

im guessing portal is the one rated teen and the rest are M

but DO get it, you wont regret it

Its not a matter of weather it is good enough to get or not. I am not allowed to play M rated games so if this one isnt that bad I will get it.

I checked all the ratings on the ESRB website and it said every game is rated M for blood and gore and intense violence. Portal is rated Teen. And it is just the 2 half life episodes that have bad language.

Jax said he doesnt recall much cursing in the half life games so I think ill be able to get it.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't recall any cursing in half-life, if there is, it is surely cursory.
Hey, I almost made a funny there!^
biggrin.gif

Anyway.. yeah, half-life is violent, cutting zombies in half with saw-blade guns and whatnot, but the violence is directed against monsters. Of course, they're rather violent against humans, being zombies and aliens, and robots and all. So, it's a tough call there, technically. My judgement however, is that the richness of the narrative elevates the game to the point that violence is not baseless. I consider it like watching a violent war movie, of course it's harsh, but that's the nature of struggle. In the end, the game is about camaraderie, the struggle against all odds for freedom, and how science is a double-edged sword. It's a war game, and a good one.

I'm the father of two young boys, and I let them watch me play the game. I involve them in the story line, and they care about the characters. We discuss the actions and consequences throughout. It's a very thrilling game, so I limit the play to short doses, but then my kids are younger than you, and I'd assume more excitable.

Half-life 2 is one of the best games ever made, in my opinion. I obviously can't speak for your parents' values, but I'd suggest finding a few of the better reviews of the game and let them judge themselves. Maybe even get your dad to play the game with you, it really is that good, and discussion-provoking.

If they balk on it for the violence, I strongly suggest getting Portal: Still Alive, the downloadable XBLA stand-alone version. Itself one of the best puzzle games ever created.

edit:
I can't speak for TF2 because I've never played it.

caffeinekid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
s0nicfreak said:
Murder is fine but don't let the youngins hear naughty words!

My thoughts exactly.

It just like swearwords - certain natural body parts are banned from conversation but you can say "the traffic was murder" or "work today was torture" and no one bats an eyelid.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know for a fact HL2 has cursing, though I don't recall the F-bomb making many, if any, appearances.

That said, it's very violent. I'm also a father of two young boys (9 & 11), and I don't play it around them. It's rated M, which is designated for players 17 and older here in the States. But to each his own, I suppose.

For the TC, if you're not allowed to play M-rated games, then this will most certainly fall under that category. HL2 is by no means a light M rating. The gravity gun can and will open up all sorts of ways to defeat enemies. I absolutely love the game -- it's by far my favorite first-person adventure -- but it's not for everyone.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Yeah, I know for a fact HL2 has cursing, though I don't recall the F-bomb making many, if any, appearances.

That said, it's very violent. I'm also a father of two young boys (9 & 11), and I don't play it around them. It's rated M, which is designated for players 17 and older here in the States. But to each his own, I suppose.

For the TC, if you're not allowed to play M-rated games, then this will most certainly fall under that category. HL2 is by no means a light M rating. The gravity gun can and will open up all sorts of ways to defeat enemies. I absolutely love the game -- it's by far my favorite first-person adventure -- but it's not for everyone.

Well, I managed to download the demo for half life 2 episode 2 because it said it has a teen rating and it didnt seem that bad. Ill just go to the store with my dad and tell him about the rating and if he doesnt like it while I am playing it ill just return it.

And even though its rated M I think teenagers are mature enough to play it. Every time I go to gamestop the guys working there ask me if I want to pre order M rated games such as resident evil 5 when I clearly look like I am 14. So I think even though the esrb rates the games M they are toward more to teenagers.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:

Well, I managed to download the demo for half life 2 episode 2 because it said it has a teen rating and it didnt seem that bad. Ill just go to the store with my dad and tell him about the rating and if he doesnt like it while I am playing it ill just return it.

And even though its rated M I think teenagers are mature enough to play it. Every time I go to gamestop the guys working there ask me if I want to pre order M rated games such as resident evil 5 when I clearly look like I am 14. So I think even though the esrb rates the games M they are toward more to teenagers.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple of pennies to toss into this convo.

Yea, HL2 and TF2 are both violent action games, and HL2 has some VERY suspenseful/jump-worthy parts, but even with all that, its not a GRATUITOUSLY violent game. It is by no means the hard M rating of GTA nor does it come close. You are a good guy fighting bad guys. I think there is some minor cursing in HL2... and maybe a little in TF2, but they are very clean compared to other M-rated games of recent.

Portal is clean. And an AMAZING game to boot. I'm 28 w/ no children, but if i would have a 14 year-old, *I* would let him play HL2 (assuming he's a decently level-headed kid with an ACTUAL understanding of the difference between reality and games
tongue.gif
)

So, i don't know if that matters or not, but there's my $0.02.
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RecklessReaperr said:
...Ill just go to the store with my dad and tell him about the rating and if he doesnt like it while I am playing it ill just return it....

Seems like you knew what to do all along, because that's the best advice I've read yet.

Well, my oldest (daughter) is 14, and we let her play Persona 3 & 4. I knew about the game but had no interest in. But when she expressed wanting to play it herself, I checked out the game. My wife and I discussed it, and decided it was okay. Thing is, though, I just want to know what my kids are playing. I'm not fanatical -- I don't need to know where they are and what they're doing at all times, but I keep tabs on my babies. Just par for the course and all that.
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu