The NDS Cell Phone Card

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Edwii, May 7, 2009.

May 7, 2009

The NDS Cell Phone Card by Edwii at 8:34 AM (1,017 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Edwii
    OP

Member Edwii GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So why not make one? the ds has a mic in it, speakers, more then enough prepossessing power right? all it needs is a antenna and sim card slot, which again i would be could fit in a flash cart 1 or 2 (preferably 2 if ur using a NDS light) i know i would buy it, one less thing to keep in my pocket.

Alternatively i thing a GPS card would also have some promise, gps antenna with a micro sd card for maps.
    (heck both cell and gps card would rock!)

the only reason i can think why this might not fly is perhaps some sorta legal reasons?

Any thoughts?

2. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Theres something close to it, its a homebrew program called Svsip, check in our downloads section for it. It uses Voip (voice over Ip) (Ip=internet protocol) and a wifi connection to call people. Gps could be possible but you would need access to a saterllite or atleast (if its not live) saved pictures of maps for where ur going, and that would take up alot of memory

3. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    You'd need a GSM/3G chip too, which wouldn't fit. And yes, why? Even if it were physically possible, you'd have to keep your DS on all the time, which would not only drain your battery but also prevent you from playing games while using the cell phone mode.

4. Edwii
    OP

Member Edwii GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It could run on a semi sleep mode like when u set the alarm on the ds, my phone runs the same way, has a powersaveing mode when its not being used. i dont know how physically big a gsm chip is, but i did see cell phone watches on ebay this week, cant be that big... http://www.insightsip.com/node/4
    from what i can tell that is a some what of a delux one yes? dosnt look that big?
    but you do make a point about missing calls when playing a game, that might be an important loss to some people.
    I suppose the only way it could be done right is if a firmware flash was possible making the phone ware part of the ds it self while the hardware would be left in the cart

5. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    The main problem with the DS-as-mobile idea is that its limited memory allows it to run only one app at a time. If you're listening to music or playing a game no one can call you.

6. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i think they have some GPS device for NDS [​IMG]

if not wrong is called RANGER GPS brought to you by gbalpha aka m3team