The Mother/Pokemon connection

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by OrR, May 27, 2007.

May 27, 2007

The Mother/Pokemon connection by OrR at 2:28 AM (1,796 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. OrR
    OP

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    I haven't played much of the Mother series, in fact I have only played a few hours of the first part. However, in that short time and in what I saw from Mother 3 so far, it heavily reminded me of Pokemon. The kind of realistic style, the start at your home you can come back to, the cities and landscape between them, even the crazy enemies somewhat resemble Pokemon. Obviously, Mother was the earlier game. So it looks like Pokemon is pretty much a direct copy of Mother, with monster collecting tacked on. Does anyone feel similarly? I'd like to hear some thoughts about the subject from people who know the Mother series better than I do. Also, are there other games with a similar style?

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I didn't even know the translation was complete...too bad I sold my Supercard DS...[​IMG]

3. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    You obviously have not played mother2, or earthbound. It's in English, play it, you'll love it.

4. OrR
    OP

Germany
    I know but I wanted to continue the first part before I move to the second. I'll probably play the third as soon as the patch is out, though. [​IMG]

5. rashef

Member rashef GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Yeah well... you can play second because they have no connection to each other , except maybe similiar hero sprite... which kind of resembles hero's sprite from pokemon red... or is it just me ? (Pokemon: Mother and Pokemon: Father editions anyone ? [​IMG])

6. OrR
    OP

Germany
    Now that we have established that I need to play more Mother asap, do any other people have an opinion on the actual topic? [​IMG]

7. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It may look that way, but it's really different(well they both are RPG and feature little boys but one saves the world and the other collect monsters. Mother games are also funny.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yeah to me they aren't really the same, never played Mother 3 though so dunno if that game is similar but the first two is a no no.

9. OrR
    OP

Germany
    Pokemon isn't a clone of Mother, so much is clear. However I'd say that it is very likely inspired by the Mother series. Or are there any other games with a similar style that predate Pokemon?