Hardware The micro

Supah Eirian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameboy Micro Rocks!!! I carry it around instead of a pack of cigarettes now....

Rhythm Tengoku or lung cancer....... hmmm.......

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang it, the place I ordered the GBM from just cancelled my order for having no stock.

Anyone know of a good place to find one these days?

i usually get mine from gamestop or walmart. if a gamestop has them in stock, they are hidden away and they cost like $70 new which is retarded. if you can find a walmart with them - they are usually $50.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dang it, the place I ordered the GBM from just cancelled my order for having no stock.

Anyone know of a good place to find one these days?

i usually get mine from gamestop or walmart. if a gamestop has them in stock, they are hidden away and they cost like $70 new which is retarded. if you can find a walmart with them - they are usually $50.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I already ordered another to get my color preference (Famicom) without too much trouble. It came to about $63 with shipping.

Unfortunately, I don't see these getting any easier to find in 2008.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are Nintendo still making the gameboy micro? Apart from ebay, I've never seen them being sold anywhere for months. The price even went down in the UK, some stores were selling them for £30 each at one time.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are Nintendo still making the gameboy micro? Apart from ebay, I've never seen them being sold anywhere for months. The price even went down in the UK, some stores were selling them for £30 each at one time.

I saw reports of them being clearanced for $30-35 in the US.

Kicking myself for missing out on that.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i cant find gb micro in stores here anymore.

pretty stupid because i see they still make gba games.

they sold the last bunch of gb micros for 50 euros here about 6 months ago, glad i bought a blue one, it's so tiny it fits easily in your pocket
smile.gif

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i cant find gb micro in stores here anymore.

pretty stupid because i see they still make gba games.

they sold the last bunch of gb micros for 50 euros here about 6 months ago, glad i bought a blue one, it's so tiny it fits easily in your pocket
smile.gif

I thought that there were pulled from the shelves. Oh well.

Love my micro. So little and sexy. Yay!

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i don't like the idea of squinting my eyes at a tiny screen to play games. 

Most people don't have to squint because the screen is very sharp and clear. I'm really not a fan of playing gba on my DS. wish the DS had a higher resolution with the same clarity and sharpness of a micro.

Ummm... This might be getting a bit technical, but a bigger resolution on the nds wouldn't help. it already has a higher one than the GBA, which is why you have that black outline wen u play GBA games. Also, I'd prefer the clarity of a NDSL over a micro anyday
smile.gif

Dang... and you're not kidding about the screen size 0.o

GBA Micro Vs. SP

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, crazy. I take it they've stopped making the SP too? Glad I got both of them now. Although I do want to get a black Micro now. I love my 20th Ann. But black looks really nice too. So I'm probably going to end up ordering another one.

And I don't have to squint to the screen. I thought I would have to the first time I saw the size of that screen. But the clarity is unbelievable.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I'm thinking of getting a micro but having DS, getting BOTH SP and Micro seems a little, meh.

I like micro but its screeeen is sooo small, comparing to SP, aint it?

kaotic_azn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking of getting a micro but having DS, getting BOTH SP and Micro seems a little, meh.

I like micro but its screeeen is sooo small, comparing to SP, aint it?

yeah it does seem overkill having both a SP and Micro and DS (i know cos i have all of (well actually i'm still awaiting for my gameboy micro) them) but you can say that they have different uses.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I'm gonna get one of them and retire my G6 Lite to it, which one do u suggest.

I played with old SP (non-backlit) and its controls were great, and played a little with GBA 20th anniversary NES faceplate at a store (which sells it second hand at about 60$) and its diagonal was shitty (not firm).

where I can get them online anyway?

kaotic_azn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah sorry thought you were talking about were to buy a micro from. Umm I wouldn't have a clue as i have the older SP and still yet to receive my micro. I think both are great but for ultimate portability then take the micro but if you're not too fussed then the SP will suit you fine.

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for a standard GBA experience, I think the micro and the SP have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The SP has a closing lid, which means you should never scratch the screen. It has a host of AC/USB adapters and things that use the standard SP/DS expansion plug. Plus it will still play older GB games, which the micro will not. If you get one of the ones with the newer backlit screen, they're really pretty to look at.

The Micro scratches a lot easier due to its exposed screen, but it does have exchangeable faceplates. The expansion port and adapter are proprietary to the micro ONLY, so you'll need special cables to link up with anyone or charge your Micro. But the screen is very sharp for its size, so you won't necessarily miss the screen real estate unless your vision is poor. The Micro has a built-in headphone jack, something you have to buy an adapter for on the SP. Its greatest advantage is that it is so small you can just toss it in your pocket (preferably in the included felt pouch) and go. And if you intend to carry it in your pocket, the SP's shoulder buttons are much easier to damage.

All in all, once I got my micro, I never used my SP anymore. The Micro is so convenient to carry around, fits easily in my hand, and the screen is bright and crisp enough that I never really strain my eyes. And it plays my F2a without any problems at all.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've owned all three versions of the GBA, the original (even had an afterburner upgrade for "sidelights"), the GBA SP, and now the Micro Famicom edition.

I LOVED the GBA, enough to actually upgrade it with the afterburner (that was a pain), and I played a LOT of RPGs with it. eventually got rid of it, for a reason I can't remember, but later got an SP to relive some of those memories and pick up with a couple of newer games in the series that I liked, esp. Golden Sun 2... still haven't played more than a few minutes of it, as I couldn't stand the SP compared to the original (I didn't want to run the afterburner upgrade, again). The whole boxy feel of it really turned me off, compared to the contours of the original. PLUS the shoulder buttons drove me nuts (I have weird hands, maybe). I got rid of it less than a month after I got it.

So I was a bit skeptical about the Micro, esp. considering its small size (which I liked the concept of but didn't think it would work well within my hands) and its shape also being so boxy. So I didn't end up getting one until a couple of weeks ago, found 2 Famicom editions at a thrift store for $30 apiece... Got'em both, as I wanted one for my fiancee as well.

I'll get the bad out of the way.
Nintendo's almost total lack of support... WTH is wrong with Nintendo????? I've had to dissect two sets of cables and solder them together just to get GC to GBA connectivity. No car charger at all??? Not even aftermarket products to support it??? And then there's the little annoyance of a lack of a faceplate changer in the Famicom edition... I guess they didn't expect we'd ever get tired of a pee yellow faceplate (don't get me wrong, the colors work well, I'm just suggesting that after a time, this thing WILL look ugly), let alone the possibility of scratching the faceplate and maybe, eventually, needing to replace it?

ANYWAYS.. that out of the way. I absolutely LOVE the way it feels. The screen is by far the brightest, and cleanest looking of any in the series, and, dare I say it, looks even better than GBA games running on the DS. Part of the technical jargon I've read about it suggests that's because the small screen has such a smaller dot pitch than its cousins that the screens brightness is more even, and the pictures inherently look sharper. Always nice. The angle of the buttons is just about perfect for my hands and having played it extensively on Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube (which requires GBA's to be connected to it to play multiplayer) I've never had a single hand cramp (something the original NES controller was notorious for).

Since I got the cables made for GC to GBA play, the past week, they've seen almost nothing but Four Swords action, but prior to that, I used it to play, and beat both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission, several times.

And as far as size is concerned: For a lark (or perhaps because I forgot it was there) I had it in my shirt pocket all day about a week and a half ago during work. Noone noticed until I pulled the thing out at break. Then all eyes were on it (for reference sake, I work at an office supply store, not something typically noted for gamers).

Among other choice comments, I got, "It ain't right that it's smaller than your phone," "It's sooo Tiny!" and "OOO, pretty!" Okay, that last one was from a guy, which was... kinda weird. But it basically wowed them, even the most tech savvy (the guy who made the first comment).

Of course, now I want to mod an original NES controller to be a GB Micro.. though I haven't seen a comparison between the sizes of the two.

In the end, you're going to love your Gameboy Micro... If you need GC to GBA link, then I suggest reading This link here. (damn it... as of this writing the link is down).

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll get the bad out of the way. Nintendo's almost total lack of support... WTH is wrong with Nintendo?????You forget, the Micro was a complete failure. Nintendo set the release price too high; when compared to the DS the Micro just wasn't worth the price tag so hardly anyone brought one. (I say this as one of those people; I only wanted to upgrade from a no-backlight GBA, but an extra £20 could get a DS which would be supported for at least another 5 years). Most of the Micros sold have been brought from bargain bins, years after Nintendo discontinued them and wrote the line off as a failure.QUOTE(takieda @ Jan 11 2008, 06:42 PM)No car charger at all??? ... And then there's the little annoyance of a lack of a faceplate changer in the Famicom edition... I guess they didn't expect we'd ever get tired of a pee yellow faceplate (don't get me wrong, the colors work well, I'm just suggesting that after a time, this thing WILL look ugly), let alone the possibility of scratching the faceplate and maybe, eventually, needing to replace it?
There are 3rd party car chargers out there (I have one from an accessory pack, never tried it out though). As for lack of faceplate changing welcome to Europe; they even removed all mention of faceplates from the instruction manual over here.

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's almost total lack of support... WTH is wrong with Nintendo????? I've had to dissect two sets of cables and solder them together just to get GC to GBA connectivity. No car charger at all??? Not even aftermarket products to support it??? And then there's the little annoyance of a lack of a faceplate changer in the Famicom edition... I guess they didn't expect we'd ever get tired of a pee yellow faceplate (don't get me wrong, the colors work well, I'm just suggesting that after a time, this thing WILL look ugly), let alone the possibility of scratching the faceplate and maybe, eventually, needing to replace it?

Well, I never used the link feature, and I hated the proprietary plug, so I ripped mine off and soldered a Mini-USB in its place.

micro1.jpg

It makes charging a snap, since I can carry a retractable mini-usb plug in my pocket to charge it anywhere....though the micro is now forever incapable of linking...big deal, as I don't link up with anything and I didn't have the optional expensive adapter cable anyways.

As for the famicom edition...Surely you can just press the little holes and pop the famicom faceplate off and replace it... I mean, why else would they sell replacement famicom faceplates in the nintendo website? But to emphasize your point... the faceplate on the micro pictured above...I scratched it all to hell, and it was my favorite.
frown.gif
Now I'm using the camo one and wishing I had another flame-colored one.
frown.gif
I'm on a neverending quest to acquire more Micro faceplates, but they're rare as hen's teeth nowadays...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones