Venezuela
1706914939017.png

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this is just very stupid. I did a completly different move when I wanted to move to 4k
I sold my old 1080p, and with the money, I bought a 4k (of course I had to pay more than what I got for the old tv, but still, I didn't bought the 4k one from nothing)
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Last edited by Noctosphere,
Reactions: BakerMan

BakerMan

My Metal Gear is Rising
Trophies
a Genshin Impact player's sweat scented basement
XP
Country
United States

i could mention sylveon, but this is memes, not politics...
actually both have a huge overlap, so i think it's a shame that there was no sylveon, because then kyle and i would be able to get our bats out and whack a real life sylveon

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i could mention sylveon, but this is memes, not politics...
actually both have a huge overlap, so i think it's a shame that there was no sylveon, because then kyle and i would be able to get our bats out and whack a real life sylveon
A tear to my eye, and they say kids these days aren't what they used to be

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
HAAAAAAKSHUALLYYYYYY.....

Medieval peasants and commoners weren't illiterate. They weren't much into reading, but the majority could read the most ubiquitous words of the common language, enough to be able to figure out "monfter hunterf wanted, $$$$" which is what the sign would have said.
The fact "literate" used to mean "able to read and write Latin" skews the perception.

• Love
Reactions: AlexMCS and impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Medieval peasants and commoners weren't illiterate. They weren't much into reading, but the majority could read the most ubiquitous words of the common language, enough to be able to figure out "monfter hunterf wanted, $$$$" which is what the sign would have said.
The fact "literate" used to mean "able to read and write Latin" skews the perception.
An Europen peasant had an average of 1300 words vocabulary.

A USA young have an average of 800...

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While your not wrong in context the characters themselves say they can't read rather then that they are illiterate. Also if it's a fantasy world it could be written in a language they don't understand. Like if they were unable to read common.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
While your not wrong in context the characters themselves say they can't read rather then that they are illiterate. Also if it's a fantasy world it could be written in a language they don't understand. Like if they were unable to read common.
Well it says "realistic medieval fantasy" so I don't know what to think.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it says "realistic medieval fantasy" so I don't know what to think.
Although like you say in some places it surely would have been the case that people could read some basic words like that - that couldn't have been true everywhere

There were many largely illiterate societies - for instance think of Irish tribes before the normans or china until extremely recently

A chinese person I know whose grandma grew up before the PRC said in his backwater village - most people couldn't even read the most basic characters like rice, cat, tea etc (and many of that generation still can't read sentences)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always feel like the total should be higher... Like I feel like I forgot to buy something