The Indie Quest '10

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Maxi Maxi, Jul 10, 2010.

Jul 10, 2010

The Indie Quest '10 by Maxi Maxi at 2:56 PM (3,884 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. Maxi Maxi
    OP

Newcomer Maxi Maxi Member

United Kingdom
    <div align="center"><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->The Indie Quest '10<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->Hell Yeah!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><hr /></div>Me and <a href='http://gbatemp.net/member.php?name=prowler_' target=_blank title='View profile for member prowler_'}>prowler_</a> did this last year in November to try and find awesome indie games. Ones that are well known and ones that are not.
    Didn't turn out so good because the forum we posted on is dead 95% of the time and 99% of the members are noobs so I thought to post on here instead, see if we can get a good indie list going.

Anyone can suggest any games, but they <i>must</i> be classified as <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_video_game_development" target="_blank">'Indie'</a>. Even if it's P2P, free or browser based. You can either write something about it or just copy pasta information about it, if you are going to copy pasta, provide source of where it's copied from.
    Most of this is typed by myself, and Dean is helping by BBCodean it up and helping me find games. <a href='http://gbatemp.net/member.php?name=Lyon057' target=_blank title='View profile for member Lyon057'}>Lyon057</a> provided all of the starting browser based games.

<!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#A0522D--><span style="color:#A0522D"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->FREE PC/Mac/Linux Indie games<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    <hr /><!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#A0522D--><span style="color:#A0522D"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Commercial PC/Mac/Linux Indie games<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
    <hr /><!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#A0522D--><span style="color:#A0522D"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Flash (Browser Based) Indie games<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
    We will be updating this as we come across more games, these are just the starting games that we wanted to include. You can help too, remember :3

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Quoted because I'm not letting you off for this one D:

3. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    This seems like a cool idea

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Thanks. The Company of Myself was AWESOME.

5. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  6. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
  7. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  8. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    And the reason for that is...? [​IMG]

Surprised to see Minecraft in the list.

9. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    I think P2P means Pay to Play which is ok as long as nobody post's illegal download links.

10. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Maybe to you Lee, but to the rest of us it means Peer 2 Peer.

11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I didn't know where to put Minecraft tbh. But there is more features for paying members than free members (obviously) and you can't get most out of the game by being a free member so I put it there.

12. Frederica Bernkastel

United Kingdom
    Why not rename it to "Commercial Indie Games"?
    That way you'll still be cataloging games, but you won't be promoting piracy.

EDIT: if this thread is successful, it should be stickied

13. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Sounds reasonable.

-done, waiting for Maxi.
    If people are going to post games, please say what category it fits into and provide a link >:
    For Antoligy's list, I just included a link to http://www.wolfire.com/humble and some info.

14. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    How could you not add Super Mario Crossover to the flash games section?

15. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Indie games eh? I've played a few, but I find it hard to find ones I like. Last one I did was Captain Forever, a flashed based game similar to Astroids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_forever
    EDIT: My brother loves "Flying Robo Unicorn", another flash game. I found it boring, even getting to the point where four or five dolphins were splashing about and the landscape just goes WOOOSH!

16. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Dang, I was about to make a thread about free indie games with reviews (maybe I'll still do it, but...) and Puf! This thread appears out of nowhere...
    Ok, Indie games... I LOVE 'EM!

I'll give some indications that i remember (At home I have tons of'em), ok?

Iji
    It's a action shooter with some RPG elements (you can level up some attributes), but also with some strategy behind it (you CANNOT max level everything).
    It has different endings and the story changes a bit depending on your actions. The graphics reminds me a little bit f Out of This World (Another World).
    Go play it. Now!

An Untitled Story
    It's some sort of a Metroidvania game, where you begin as an egg (yes, an egg) and then you gain abilities to access other places. A really fun game.
    At this same site, you can get other great games, such as:
    -> the Jumper Trilogy: Platform gaming at its best. Avoid spikes and lethat lasers;
    -> Flail: Another avoid-the-hazards platformer, but with a kind of teleportation power;
    -> Dim: Yet another avoid-the-hazards platformer, this time with two "planes".

Seiklus
    An exploration game, basically. It's relaxing and frustrating at times. I like it.

Eternal Daughter and IM O.K.
    Both games from Derek Yu.
    The First one is and adventure game like Metroid and Castlevania (according to the creator), but i believe it's more like Monster Land IV, for Genesis.
    The Second one is a bloody shooter!

Jump, Copy, Paste
    Great platformer with a unique concept: to reach the goal, you must copy a portion of the stage and paste it somewhere.

I Wanna be the Guy
    Punish yourself with this difficult as hell platformer!

Flash games

Canabalt
    Run for your life! The wolrd is in ruins and you must run!!!!!!! A one-button only game.

Super Mario Bros. Crossover
    As mentioned by DeltaBurnt, how could anyone not mention this?!
    It's Super Mario Bros. with the possibility to play as Simon (Castlevania), Samus (Metroid), Ryu (Ninja Gaiden), Rock (Megaman), Link (Zelda) and Billy (Contra), besides Mario, of course.

So far, that's all. But there are tons of awesome indie games out there.

17. Maxi Maxi
    OP

Newcomer Maxi Maxi Member

United Kingdom
    Damn, toguro. Just updating the list now.

EDIT: Alright, got a few things to do so I'll add the rest later and maybe extend the writeups. Keep suggesting, and I'll add my needlessly large collection soon =P

18. Frederica Bernkastel

United Kingdom
  19. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Will you be adding any screenshots at all?

Edit:
    I fail at writing. You can edit the desciption texts if you want. Oh and you could also pick out indie games from this video.

20. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I love that game [​IMG]

I've beaten it like 5 times, I can't wait til he updates it (if he ever does).