PGdude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now of course, we all know a nifty bit about MicroSD/MicroSDHC cards. They're tiny, use little electricity, mostly cheap for what they are, and damn useful in our good old flashcarts and phones and mp3 players and what not. They're so useful because they're absolutely tiny and hold so much, so, here's a thread on them.

I haven't immediately been able to notice a thread on these beloved cards that we use, so I hope nobody minds me making a thread for info on them, and also I suppose a thread to let people "know" about good cards, bad cards, where to get cards (although that's a matter of google) and stuff...

Basic stuff:

MicroSD - The Original format for the small cards. Goes up to a capacity of 2GB maximum. Still around and usable in SDHC standard devices.
MicroSDHC - Same form factor as MicroSD, but more important, hold a LOT more data. I've seen 16GB cards in stores and heard about 32GB cards. Usually formatted on the FAT32 file storage system. (Can do FAT16, and others, though FAT32 is what's used in DS flashcarts for the most part).

Brands

VERY GOOD
Sandisk
Kingston
Transcend
A-Data
GOOD
Patriot
PNY
Crucial (from what I've seen of their RAM...)
BAD
Unbranded
Obscure name brand that you've never heard of.

SPEED

Now there's the deal about Classes. What are they? They depict the write speed of the memory in the card, as so:

* Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x - 1950 kBps
* Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x - 3900 kBps
* Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x - 6000 kBps

I gave the rough speeds in kBps so you can get a general image of how fast it actually is. Of course they probably won't actually reach that speed, they'll perhaps near writing, and much much faster reading. Apparently.

Now obviously Class 6 is preferable, but 4 is fine too. You don't need to go out of your way for a Class 6, but it does speed up the process in cases of gameplay and file copying. In any case, as can be seen, each class card is potent, it's just whether or not you want to be more potent or not.
tongue.gif

Great places to buy?:

Amazon GLOBAL/UK - You're going to find great deals on there, huge online marketplace, often free and quick shipping (Yes!) Finding the cards, I'd say just do a search for Micro SD. There isn't an actually category. Or I failed at searching.

Ebuyer(UK) - I trust them, bought with them frequently. Free shipping over the threshold basket cost.

DealWoot (US) - Reasonably priced, many people have bought from here. Free shipping above a certain threshold, I notice.

GainGame - I notice that it's cheap, pleasant and easy to use.

Newegg - MicroSD/MicroSDHC - They look very well priced, this site is used by lots people in the US. This website is US and Canada.

I'm personally unsure about this place, but you guys buy are and whatever so it's fine in most cases:
DealExtreme (Global?) - Free International Shipping - Cheap. Seriously. Ships slow though. If you take a look at some stuff you'll come to notice some items that aren't as trustworthy as others, so it pays to be aware of what you're looking at. It's a bit difficult to navigate.

Okay there's way more websites, you can post links if you'd like one up here, I'll assess it myself. I'm getting tired of links XD

As for the rest of the info, do feel free to point out any flaws, extra info and so on that I can add to this post. This can be a general microSD card thread I suppose.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey i heard there are Class 8 O_O SDHC but they are in a Sandisk Mobile Ultra Class which are expensive as hell. They are found on Amazon but the class 8 part im not sure about

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, Transcend should be "Very Good". Also, the Class speed categories are for WRITE speed. For example: Class 2 at 2MB/s means it writes at approx 2MB/s. Read speed would be a lot higher. Anyways, here a screenshot of a Sandisk 8GB Micro SDHC (Class 2) tested with Flash Memory Toolkit with a USB 2.0 MicroSD card reader.

Sandisk8GB.jpg

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I use a Sandisk 8gig Class 2, and so far it's been great for me. Haven't 'experienced' the other Classes yet, are they that much better than the Class 2?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know a GOOD AND RELIABLE microSDHC 8gb class 4 or 6 that goes for about 18.30 USD? I might buy an ADATA but I'm not sure if it will work well in an Acekard 2i. Can someone confirm this for me? For me, class 6 is preferrable but if i must i will get a class 4

PGdude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll get around to updating my post, but might I ask something to you guys?

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2717)..._16GB_Card.aspx

This is the card I'm looking at, a Class 6 Sandisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC card. Now of course it says it's for mobiles but its still a Class 6 MicroSDHC card, right?

Right?

I'm hovering over the buy button right now so... Can anyone confirm?

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
PGdude said:
I'll get around to updating my post, but might I ask something to you guys?

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2717)..._16GB_Card.aspx

This is the card I'm looking at, a Class 6 Sandisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC card. Now of course it says it's for mobiles but its still a Class 6 MicroSDHC card, right?

Right?

I'm hovering over the buy button right now so... Can anyone confirm?
It should work because most microSD cards are made for mobile phones. It's just more convenient for the DS Scene to use it for loading ROMs due to its size and capacity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb