The Humble Indie Bundle

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempbot, May 5, 2010.

May 5, 2010

The Humble Indie Bundle by Tempbot at 11:51 AM (6,753 Views / 0 Likes) 67 replies

1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] The Humble Indie Bundle
    Pay what you want to charity

This offer is so good, it cannot be refused: Five Indie developers have teamed up to offer you their classic games. Get World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD and Penumbra Overture and pay what you want! (Instead of the 80$ they are usually worth.) Even better, you get to decide how much of your money goes to the developers and how much of it goes to the awesome charities Child's Play and the Electronic Frontier Foundation!

All five games work on Windows, Linux and Mac OS and are free of DRM so you really do not have any excuse. You can even buy gift copies for your friends and family members. Spread the news to make this a success because isn't this how you've always wanted to buy your games?

[​IMG] Get the Humble Indie Bundle here!
    [​IMG] Discuss

Contributed by OrR

2. cyberninja

Newcomer cyberninja Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for posting this. I already own penumbra and world of goo. But worth donating for the other games and half the money goes to charity. For those wondering they email you a download link where you can download the games when ever you want for any platform all DRM free!

3. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    definitely swinging a bit of money their way. 5 games, for a price you set, indie games at that?

4. El-ahrairah

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Those are some phat rhymes.

5. foxgrey

Member foxgrey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I went ahead and made the purchase, gotta say some good games, and half of the monies went to charity!

Seriously though if some of the console makers, and really any of the content industries would do this, (maybe not so open as far as price goes) piracy would not be an issue.

6. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Awesome deal. Just donated 15 dollars and I'm about to start downloading now.

If anyone want's these games, but doesn't have a Paypal/Google Checking/Amazon account, I'd be more than happy to donate on your behalf and forward you the download links given. Just PM me or ask here.

Either way, these are awesome games, and it's an awesome cause.

7. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    I payed $0.15 because I am 16 and that is all there is in my bank account.
    I feel bad. I'm sorry indie developers, I love you, but I am poor and want to support you any way I can.

8. GWEndlessDuel

Banned GWEndlessDuel Banned

United States
    Due to paypal fees and bandwidth you do realize by doing that you actually cost them money? It would have done less harm to actually torrent the games instead.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Oh, sh you.
    It says Pay what you want.
    Anyway, some guy donated $500, so...

[​IMG] Amazon, PayPal and Google Checkout want to be mean and not accept solo cards.
    I'll just look for a free download somewhere.

10. GWEndlessDuel

United States
    I can read what it says just fine but if you're going to pay that little out of the fact you at least "want to support them anyway you can" then you might as well not bother...because as I said, it's not doing any favors. I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I'm just letting him know so the next time the situation arises he'll know just to grab a torrent instead.

11. rashef

Member rashef GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Pay what you want my ass... Paypal blocked my account for suspicious transaction when i wanted to test it with 0.50$ ==' . Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a cheapskate.

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I guess you haven't heard of a saying "It's the thought that counts"
    Maybe he didn't want to get a torrent and download it illegally?

This is all for charity anyway (or the developers if you choose that option). Every little bit helps.

Oh and, the developers of World of Goo had this offer a while back, doesn't look people donating less than $1 bankrupt them

13. GWEndlessDuel

United States
    Except when you give something like 0.15 it doesn't, it actually hurts...which is exactly the point and the thought doesn't account for anything. Also I think this is about the last website to be concerned about if someone actually wants something legally. That said, I'm done saying my peace and I'll just agree to disagree as it's rather bothersome to keep going back and forth about it.

14. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    They did the same thing to me when I tried to send $5 to a friend. Then they sent an email claiming it was a random security review of my account. They made me jump through annoying hoops just to prove it was me lol.

15. KevInChester

Member KevInChester GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The point is, yes donating is brilliant, well done, but with processing fees they actually end up making a net loss. You'd be better off downloading a torrent and sending then 15 cents in the post! The intentions were honourable, don't think anyone is lambasting the original poster, just pointing out how large scale economics work.

16. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Somehow, I think they don't mind.
    If they wanted people to pay more, they would of set a cost.

17. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I do see your point. However some people are not comfortable pirating things and would rather get a legit copy. And this kind of deal allows them to be legit customers even if the companies themselves have to pay the paypal fees. Then there's also the fact that if the companies wanted to have a guaranteed earnings for every sold copy they would've set a minimal price that you'd have to pay that are above the paypal fees.

18. KevInChester

Member KevInChester GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Agreed. Regardless this raises awareness of not only the charities concerned, but also of the games. It's win/win anyways.

19. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Oooohhh. Can I please have one? I'm not allowed to buy stuff online.

20. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yep, sent.

It's good to see that they are making some kind of money. All for a great cause.