The GamePad has a "WLAN module"?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DebugErr, Dec 20, 2014.

1. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    Got my repaired GamePad back. Actually it just had a broken screen, but they also renewed a "WLAN module"

Don't they mean the bluetooth connection module to the console? I thought it has no own WLAN module, wouldn't make much sense would it?

2. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland

The gamepad actually connects via WLAN to the console. Bluetooth is WAY too slow for video transfer (off-screen play)

3. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    I see, I always wondered how that screen transfer works.
    I have no idea why they renewed it at all, it was fully functional :D

4. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Could be partially tied to the screen, since the WLAN module is unique to every GamePad. It's also the reason (since it's operating at 5GHz frequency) why the GamePad is region locked.

5. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    Ew, that's where that comes from. Okei then... good to know :D

6. RomansFiveEight

RomansFiveEight Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2014
    United States
    It's actually a proprietary WLAN variation based on Wireless N. Pretty neat!

7. Don21

Don21 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Zuid Holland
    Never knew that, very nice to know

8. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    Someone should reverse and document how it works exactly :teach:

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That makes no sense. My laptop has 5Ghz too, and it's not region locked.

10. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B17.5D

I humbly request you read that article on Wikipedia, it's well written. Here's a quote:
    So even your laptop is, effectively, "region locked". When you move to another region it's entirely possible that your laptop may not work at all, or will work in limited capacity, when connected to a local 5GHz network. And it's due to these different regulations between countries and regions why Nintendo cannot ship the same Wii U GamePad model in every region.

11. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well, according to that, there are a bunch of channels that work in every region except Japan, so they could technically ship the same gamepad in every region except Japan.

12. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    If you really think it's as simple as that then you have answered your own question. (It's not.)

There's regional differences in every product due to wireless frequencies. E.g. iPhones sold in Europe are different to iPhones sold in the US or Hong Kong. If you buy an iPhone 6 in the US, it technically supports European LTE, but when you come to Europe, it doesn't work in all of the frequency ranges. That's a fact that affects all electronics.

13. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Look at the list you linked me ;)

14. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    And you must understand as I said that it's not just the frequency that matters, but how it's used.

E.g. 1700Mhz in the US does not equal 1700Mhz in Europe. A device that uses one in its own region won't work in the other region, because the frequency is used differently. Certain frequencies are allowed for indoor or outdoor use only, certain frequencies are limited to specific uses, certain frequencies are for radio equipment only, certain frequencies are available to consumers, etc. Just because there are frequencies that overlap doesn't mean Nintendo or anyone else can magically make a single device model that works almost everywhere in the world. There are a minimum number of channels that a 5GHz operating device requires to function.

That's how it is.