GCN The Envision - Portable Gamecube

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Came across this, thought it was absolutely amazing. Makes me wish I had to skills to do this. T_T

The Envision apparently uses a Wiikey Fusion to run all manner of games off of an SD card slot, as there's no disc drive.

SOURCE with another video and many more pictures.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This is insane. 0_0 Definitely a great match against the Gamecube Revolution... I like the physical look of the Revolution better, but I think this one is a bit more compact, which is really nice.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty impressive, actually. I have to say, I'm looking forward to whatever the fans will manage to pull off with the current generation of consoles.

Geeky devotion plus the technical know-how equals awesome results more often than not.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty impressive, actually. I have to say, I'm looking forward to whatever the fans will manage to pull off with the current generation of consoles.

Geeky devotion plus the technical know-how equals awesome results more often than not.
Well there are the "gaming laptops"... Xbox360 laptop, Wii laptop, etc. But they're so impractical for real-world use (imo) that they're more just a novelty than anything.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at this and back at my 3DS, makes me realize how good the graphics for last gen's games truly were.

Well there are the "gaming laptops"... Xbox360 laptop, Wii laptop, etc. But they're so impractical for real-world use (imo) that they're more just a novelty than anything.
ps3-laptop-pics-top.jpg

xbox-360-laptop-mk2-top.jpg

upload_hero.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are a bit impractical, but those machines are an impressive sight to behold nonetheless.

I can't wait until the day comes when I can fit one (or all of them) in my pocket.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
They are a bit impractical, but those machines are an impressive sight to behold nonetheless.

I can't wait until the day comes when I can fit one (or all of them) in my pocket.
Same here! The problem though, is that to make a "true" gamecube (that is, no emulation) you need to use the actual gamecube parts, which is what these portables do (in combination with a little homebrew, for wiikey loading and stuff). The only other alternative would be to build your own "minimized" gamecube parts (motherboard, etc), or else create a perfect emulator machine. Either way, that would require extensive engineering, and tons of knowledge, as well as probably a team of at least a few people.

That said, I think a more realistic possibility would be a future handheld from the next generation or 2 that's powerful enough to handle perfect gamecube emulation. Which would still be amazing!

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Same here! The problem though, is that to make a "true" gamecube (that is, no emulation) you need to use the actual gamecube parts, which is what these portables do (in combination with a little homebrew, for wiikey loading and stuff). The only other alternative would be to build your own "minimized" gamecube parts (motherboard, etc), or else create a perfect emulator machine. Either way, that would require extensive engineering, and tons of knowledge, as well as probably a team of at least a few people.

That said, I think a more realistic possibility would be a future handheld from the next generation or 2 that's powerful enough to handle perfect gamecube emulation. Which would still be amazing!
Personally I'm hoping that the Vita, if it does indeed get hacked, will lead to powerful and well optimized emulators of the last gen consoles. It looks like it's got the power.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, most of the "experts" who know the internal workings of the Vita say that it's not possible. The Vita is powerful, not not the usual required 7x the power of last gen consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.