The easy, complete, comprehensive CFW guide for everyone

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by AidanLumina, Jan 6, 2016.

1. AidanLumina
    OP

Member AidanLumina genderfluid. i do nsmbu and 3ds stuff

Germany
    IMPORTANT: This guide is heavily outdated; use this instead.

The Easy, Complete, Comprehensive CFW Guide for Everyone

One important note at the beginning:
    NEVER UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM, no matter what kind of 3DS/2DS you are using. Only update manually using this guide if it tells you to do so.

About this guide: This guide shows you how to install the 3DS CFW Kit on your device, as well as how to use it once you have it installed on your system (in progress). The author of this guide tried to find the best way possible to do this. After doing every step in the guide you will have the CFWs of your choice installed and you will have access to homebrew and the Gateway menu (optional). This guide was mostly a re-release of this guide at the beginning.

Current 3DS CFW Kit Version: 4.00
    See the CFWKIT_VERSION.TXT on your (micro)SD to get the version of the 3DS CFW Kit you have installed on your system. If the first number of your version is smaller than the first number of the current version, then you have to get the latest 3DS CFW Kit AND the latest _update (except the second number of the current version is 00; then you will not need to get the latest _update). If only the second number of the current version is bigger than the second number of your version, you will only need to get the latest _update.

Things you will love about this guide

As described above, you will most likely not run into any error when following this guide exactly. If there is still any problem, please report so we can work together to help you solve it and to prevent others from running into the same error or doing the same mistake.

Feel free to post suggestions and ideas too. :) In particular, if something new and CFW-related is released and you want it
    to be added to this guide/the 3DS CFW Kit, please inform me about it because it may happen that I don't know about it immediately.

You may find the download links somewhere else...
    Tags: AidanLumina, Twitter

Please note that nothing (except the "boot.cfg", the repo.list and this guide) is made by me. The creators of the software should mostly be credited. If you don't see yourself or someone else credited as you/they should be, feel free to PM me here or on Twitter or reply to this thread.

So, without further ado, here is the guide. Have fun! :)

Installation
    Installation FAQ:

1:
    I seem to be unable to get to the Homebrew Launcher via the browser, it fails every time. Any way to fix this?
    If your 3DS freezes while the bottom screen is grey, you need to hard-reset by pressing the power button for at least 3 seconds, otherwise browserhax won't work. See 1.1.0 and the note in 1.2.5 for additional tips if it still doesn't work.

2. What to do with all of these things I've just installed?

Usage

(in progress)

Tips&Tricks

(in progress)

Last edited by AidanLumina, Jan 15, 2017

2. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    To be honest, I actually just created this thread to give you an almost perfect (nothing is perfect) guide that could even serve as a sticky. So, if a mod (or two) accidentally sees this, feel free to sticky this thread if you want. I would really appreciate that as we already have like six or seven guides about the exact same thing. And you could delete the thread I have linked at the beginning as the older version of this guide.

Last edited by AidanLumina, Jan 7, 2016
    naddel81 likes this.
  3. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    Yeah I spent 6 hours yesterday using your old thread and then it randomly updated with new info then I gave up and I log on today and it says its outdated and use this one. So hopefully this one works better for me(the browserhax would not work for me to get to homebrew was my problem yesterday)

Had a question as well. I was on 6.2.0 when I started and I updated so that when I start up fresh I am on 9.2.0. Now whenever I got rxtools booted it would show the RX build 6.2.0. Is there a way to update that as well? Do I need to?

Last edited by OTSS, Jan 7, 2016
  4. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    I hope so too. :) I looked closely at every detail of the guide and fixed and improved everything. That's why I think the guide deserves a re-release now. I'm already pretty excited about the update system I'm going to implement or request if I can't do it by myself. ^-^

And I don't think I can do this by myself because I have never written anything in C, C# or C++. ^^"

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That thing about browserhax/sliderhax is a common issue as sliderhax is pretty unstable. But you just need to keep trying until it works, this has always solved this issue until now.

To do this, just use the guide's method on setting up emuNAND. :)

5. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    0.2a.7 is blank (I decided to start from scratch and so far so good)

6. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    Thanks a lot. I fixed that. :)

7. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    0.2a.8 doesnt specify to install fbi to sysnand or emunand just to follow instructions on screen. I assume sysnand as you mentioned it earlier but is confusing. Also do you keep or delete the file(does it matter?) Also there is no DEVMODE(maybe PASTA MODE?? sorry for the edits)

Just did it so I was givin the option to keep the file or delete when I installed FBI(I kept it) Then I booted into PASTA from the same menu and was able to move onto next step successfully. I am already on 9.2.0 so I won't do the actual Update I am just being thorough

Last edited by OTSS, Jan 7, 2016
  8. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    Yes, of course. Thanks again ^^"

9. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    Having problems with loading homebrew channel again. IS there an easier alternative. It loads then says something went wrong and now I cant even access internet(just says StreetPass where it should say Internet so I cant even Try again)

10. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    In this case, reboot and try again. If I would know an easier method, I would tell you in the guide as it is a complete guide. :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There is definitely a DEVMODE in ADVANCED OPTIONS

11. DinohScene

Member DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Sweet tut!

I'd personally add some pictures, so that people know what's going on.

AidanLumina likes this.
  12. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    Yes, you're absolutely right. In fact, I'm planning to create a stunning PDF of this. :) I will add a poll about what people want the most soon, but at the moment I prefer replies just as yours. :)

DinohScene likes this.
  13. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    Do I have to be in devmode to get browserhax working? If I did a power off and on and tried would it not work?

14. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    You don't need to be in devmode to get browserhax working. Just do it normally as the guide tells you to do it. :)

15. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    1.3.2 says to install hblauncher_loader. Where is that?

16. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    It is in the CIAs folder, just where FBI.cia is as well.
    Edit: Damn, it's not. In that case, get it from here.

17. OTSS

Newcomer OTSS Member

Canada
    Thanks. Was wondering if I did something wrong. I was so happy when I finally got browserhax working. I was watching a video on how to do it and they said to bookmark it then clear history and cookies every time it fails. I tried 10x before doing that and it worked on 2nd try when I cleared those between tries. Could be coincidence or could actually make it easier.

18. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    Thank you for all your reports on o3DS related things. I don't have an o3DS so I cannot test sliderhax, FBI injection and manual update, so I really appreciate your help.

19. SuperNintendo64

Member SuperNintendo64 GBAtemp Regular

Bangladesh
    Seems like a great tutorial

But i have two questions

Ill only ask one question here, one that probably has a very difficult answer, since everytime i ask this question people suddenly change the subject

The question is: "ive already got HBL, why should i install a CFW?"

What can a CFW give to me that the HBL aint giving me already?

20. AidanLumina
    OP

Germany
    There are several reasons. A good question, and I will try my best to answer it:

- Most people want to use a CFW for an easy way of piracy. That's a fact...
    - You can launch several homebrews from the homebrew menus as long as CIA versions of them exist that you can actually install.
    - There is this CFW called NTR CFW that is actually a CIA (since v3.0) that applies patches to the running firmware. It adds a menu that you can always access via a button combination (X+Y by default) that allows you to activate several cheats as the game is running (as long as NTR CFW can find some in the appropriate directory) and to take screenshots.
    - Having emuNAND and a CFW that boots on startup is the safest way to block updates to your sysNAND. It is also the most you can have on your 3DS (if you don't count in a hardmod ;) )

There may be some more reasons, but these came to my mind first.

Edit: @SuperNintendo64 Don't worry, as this is actually not a CFW Installation Guide but a CFW Guide; you won't have to wait a long time until you will find answers to "What to do with all of these things I've just installed?" in the OP too. :)

Last edited by AidanLumina, Jan 8, 2016
    SuperNintendo64 likes this.