The DSi, after the 3DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by .psyched, Aug 30, 2010.

Aug 30, 2010

The DSi, after the 3DS by .psyched at 2:45 AM (5,036 Views / 0 Likes) 59 replies

1. .psyched
    OP

Member .psyched GBAtemp Regular

France
    Do you think it'll still be supported after the 3DS's release? I mean, my DSLite was broken, so I bought myself a DSiXL. But now, I'm wondering: Was my purchase a dumbass move?

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Not at all. We don't even know if flashcart will work on 3DS yet. Plus 3DS won't come out till next year, so that warrants a DS to fill in.

3. .psyched
    OP

France
    Not at all as in it won't be supported or as in it was a good move? xD
    I was worried because it's like I wasted 200 dollars for nothing, you know?

4. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    it's not nothing, at the very least you have a handheld to play multiplayer ds/dsi games against friends with in case they don't have one

5. .psyched
    OP

France
    I really don't play multiplayer that much, so by support, I really meant updates and stuff.

6. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    the dsi has had like 2 updates since it's 2008 release so i'm not sure why you'd think there will be any more...

look at wii updates, they add nothing (since sd card play back in 4.0) and are just there to stop you from softmodding (just as 1.4 did for dsi and stopped people accessing the shop to download flipnote)

7. .psyched
    OP

France
    It's just a way of speaking. By that I implicitly meant new games or anything new on the DSiWare.

8. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    ohhh, you were just trying to confuse me, weren't you >:O
    *pokes .psyched with a stick*

yeah, like with the gba, games will still come at first for ds/i but eventually it will all be for 3ds

that said, hopefully it will take as long to die as the ps2 did/is take/taking to die after ps3 release [​IMG]

9. .psyched
    OP

France
    Let's just say I have a really bad way of phrasing my thoughts. You can notice that practically all the topics I post in xD

Yeah, that'd be awesome. I mean, the thing is still recent, so giving it no support is going to, well, "bum" the whole world out =O
    Well, if it were to die, at least let it be long after the 3DS is hacked e___e

10. gosub

Newcomer gosub Member

United States
    DSi XL will easily have a place after 3DS. Bigger screen, probably crisper in non-3D games, and so forth. The DSi, maybe not.

3DS does two things that you can't with an XL. It has 3D and it has extra sensors. When you need those, you need a 3DS. Not all games will use them. Others will use them badly. Just look at the PS3 motion controls - most games don't use them AT ALL, and in many of the games that do you either turn them off or wish you could. There will be good 3D games and bad 3D games, good motion games and bad motion games. Some of these will run fine on the XL and you won't be missing anything. Others you will need and want a 3DS for, because hopefully there will be some really awesome uses of the platform. But this is not a strict example of one platform succeeding another. It's more like if Microsoft released a separate Xbox console which had Kinect built in instead of a plug-in device - you could buy the 360 or the 360K, and the only difference would be when you want to go play a Kinect-enabled game (and meanwhile it only works on smaller televisions?). There's no way to make sense of this without seeing what sorts of games get published, but the old platform doesn't suddenly become obsolete either since its core features aren't being updated.

Weird side point. It's likely that the best thing which could happen for the DS platform (and Nintendo's revenue) is for the 3DS to get chipped quickly. Publishers may feel pressured to develop for 3DS irrespective of their ability to exploit the platform features well since it's "more secure" i.e. not subject to the rampant bootlegging which occurs for the DS proper. This could lead to a round of shitty 3D games (more than we'll get already) at the expense of what might otherwise be solid DS titles, leading to a move away from DS development concurrent with underwhelming 3DS development. Not good. 3DS gets cracked quickly, hopefully this idea dies before anyone starts making policy on it, and hopefully the DS/3DS platform will be stronger for it. (Plus, homebrew-capable 3D device with a number of useful built-in sensors...)

11. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I'm regretting my purchase of a DSi. Every durability design flaw that the DS lite has Nintendo made worse on the DSi. I do not abuse my hand held and yet the L & R triggers are failing after less than a year (a sign that the hinge is breaking). My friend bought her's not long before I bought mine and babies that thing like it's a living infant made of blown glass... Her hinge is sloppy and the only reason she doesn't notice the shoulder buttons is she only ever plays Puzzle Quest, Oregon Trail, Advance Wars and a mess of other games that never use them. Recently my DSi stop reading SD's and I'll be sending it in for repairs (under warranty thank god).

There are a few good DSiWare games out there, but mostly the DSi is already unsupported. FWIU the DSi has 4x the RAM and at least 2x the processing power and I have yet to see a single piece of DSi software that shows this off. DSi enhanced games pretty much all use the camera to do useless crap. DSiWare is cheap, but not
    anything the DS couldn't do (barring under utilized or useless camera functions)... And DSiWare is so far un-pirate-able, so any excuses about not developing for the DSi because of rampant piracy are bullshit, so why is the DSiWare shop full of even more shovelware than the the DS or Wii library? God, even the DSi enhanced software is usually garbage... W/ or w/o the DSi features.

Rant aside, do you really think the DSi is well supported now? How do you think it will be when the 3DS hits? The 3DS has obviously been in development for a while now and developers have had their hands on it for a good amount of time. They knew it was coming ages ago and abandoned the DSi in favor of the 3DS before the DSi could take off. Sorry, but you made a dumb ass move; so did a lot of us. You couldn't have known, so don't be upset w/ yourself.

I'm really inclined to think that the DSi was just to show devs that Nintendo could make a system that was difficult to hack and that their games wouldn't be pirated on the level they are on the DS and Wii currently. While we're using consumers as testers why don't we add some features and test consumer/dev reaction to those too... And...

All I need is a GPS in my DSi and for Reggie to ram a million dollar super car into a freeway median and I'll be able to commiserate w/ Gizmondo owners.

12. Kingfield

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    You are crazy. The 3DS is an entirely different console. Once its out, any original DS (and variations) will be phased out.

"Some of these will run fine on the XL and you won't be missing anything?"

That's like saying you can play Wii games that don't require motion control on the Gamecube.

Do your research before posting, buddy.

13. gosub

Newcomer gosub Member

United States
    Right, because that's a totally analogous situa...wait, no it's not. Not at all. Where did you even get that from?

It's much more like PS3 Slim versus PS3, if Move was somehow only compatible with Slim. Games released after Slim which don't use Move or which don't require Move will work absolutely fine on the original because it's effectively the same damn platform other than those bonus elements. 3DS doesn't support DS carts because of some added backpat functionality - it supports DS carts because it's still a DS.

14. Demonstryde

Member Demonstryde GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the 3ds games i do not believe will be playable on dsi/xL/L because it has better graphics aside from being 3d. but it should still support ds dsi games.. and yea its gonna get hacked for sure.. no any dsi dsixl is a great purchase at least up to the release date. i know for a fact im gonna keep my dsi after i get my 3ds

15. lolet

Newcomer lolet Member

Sweden
    I bought a DSi XL in May when I knew a new DS was coming the next year but I still don't think it's a waste. The reason I got it was because I wanted to play DS games at the moment and I couldn't stand the screens on my old DS from 2005. I'll probably continue to play my DS games on the XL even after I've gotten a 3DS unless they add an interesting feature. Like if you could install your DS games on the 3DS.

3DS can run DS games but the DS(i) can't run 3DS games. That's probably why they redesigned the game cards.
    http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/image...06/9e3b3550.jpg

16. Kingfield

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Dont say you have read anything if you think that a 3DS is simply a DS with 3D enabled.

It's the next get DS bro.

17. .psyched
    OP

France
    You sound totally reliable. a Next Get DS?

18. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    The DSi is barely supported now, never mind after the 3DS release. There are like 3 true DSi games released and the DSiWare store is a pathetic half-arsed attempt at apple AppStore.
    The only thing you are really getting out of buying a DSiXL are better quality screens than a DS.

19. .psyched
    OP

France
    Normal DS games are okay with me =O
    And let's be honest, even companies didn't know about the 3DS, I mean, there's still so many games planned for release for the DS. Dropping it right now is just too soon. I mean, at least for the DSiXL. I mean, Nintendo made a bad move to me here.

20. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    lolwut. 3DS has improved hardware and graphic capabilities. Games on the 3DS won't be able to run on a DSi or XL. Their completely different consoles. Like the transition from GBA to DS.