Hacking The DS-Xtreme - Misinformation

Smirre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In all honestly "patching" a rom so it plays off the slot2 is not hard, takes seconds so patching isnt a bad selling point but rather waiting for the update from the company. Thats all the dood was trying to say I believe and he has an excellent point.

Yes you are right. However you don't consider a scenario where the slot2 flashcart manufacturers quit. They just quit making new patches. Nobody is forcing them to do so. You can play existing games but not new games, your cart is pretty much useless in my opinion. I'm not sure if someone could start making patches but still you would depend on someone making patches. It's not a real surprise to me at least if some flashcart maker want to do it.

But the main question is why would they want to do this? Well maybe they have announced a new slot1 cart which can do pretty much the same as slot2 without any patching. They completely cancel old cart updates and development in order to give the best support for a new cart. Seems logical in some way but i would seriously pissed.

This is why i want a cart which can play clean roms. I don't want to depend on manufacturers patches for every single damn game. I have EFA GBA cart and I haven't really needed their support. I use their older software to flash and all roms work. If EFA decide to quit everything it wouldn't bother me i'd still be playing all current games and those few which are coming in the future.

I really am waiting for first NDS clean rom flashcart. Start of a new better era. Bring it on!
happy.gif

goretech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My idea is to get this DS-X for my NDS games and then a GBA cart for just my GBA game. I have a few questions for all of you tho. Of course price does not matter to me as i simply want the best. its only a couple hundred buck.

1.) If I am using a GBA game no passme is required for GBA carts correct since passme is for nds games?
2.) I assume there is no GBA only cart for the DS lite that fits flush. So which cart is best for GBA support?
3.) This is for DS Guru to test.. Can I keep DS-X in my DS lite with a GBA Cart in it as well and use both when I want. If DS-X is not going to support GBA games then it should allow this.

Btw DS-X support on GBA games seems simple to me. Just a GBA emulator running on DS-X which plays GBA games. Sure its not like playing on the real GBA port but should make no difference?

thanks for all your time DSX Guru

-Goretech

libredr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been answered already.
Does it require a driver to upload files ? Or is it standard usb storage, and thus would allow upload using Linux, Mac, etc?

Thanks.

libredr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

monaug5

Trophies
Website
www.infiniteworkers.co.uk
XP
Country
ands its got a USB Debugger so it will be quite a interesting device for Homebrew Developers!!

Also more info from a member of the DS X team!!

news from Dino of the DS Xtreme i had sent him the email below and the reply he sent me is in bold!

On 10 Aug 2006, at 20:10, Monaug5/Jester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have seen your website i am excited and absolutely thrilled to
> see such as new fresh idea so any idea when it will be released for
> sale in the online shop like Divineo UK and Modchip store UK?
>
> Futhermore will the commercial and homebrew games need patching?
> have gathered firmware will be updated regularly but does it come
> with any other software that might have to be installed on a PC.
>
> Lastly will it have many colours to choose from like Black ,Navy
> Blue, Red, Pink, Orange and finally lastly will it only work on a
> USB 2.0 port will it still work quite well on a USB 1.1 port will
> wifi and everything work?
>
>
> Thankyou for you time and i hope you make a great product as i will
> be the first in line i hope to try it out thank you for you time!
>
> Your Sincerly
>
> Monaug5 Aka Jester

Hi there,

First of all we would like to apologize for the delay in replying. We
have received thousands of emails about the DS-Xtreme product after
so much media exposure.

Our current web team is working on a complete F.A.Q and a new site
which will answer to the technical questions that you have requested.

We will be posting all news and updates on our site soon as we are
always making sure that our product meets the highest standards of
quality and features.

Regards

Dino
DS-X.com

Good news Eh???

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My idea is to get this DS-X for my NDS games and then a GBA cart for just my GBA game. I have a few questions for all of you tho. Of course price does not matter to me as i simply want the best. its only a couple hundred buck.

1.) If I am using a GBA game no passme is required for GBA carts correct since passme is for nds games?
2.) I assume there is no GBA only cart for the DS lite that fits flush. So which cart is best for GBA support?
3.) This is for DS Guru to test.. Can I keep DS-X in my DS lite with a GBA Cart in it as well and use both when I want. If DS-X is not going to support GBA games then it should allow this.

Btw DS-X support on GBA games seems simple to me. Just a GBA emulator running on DS-X which plays GBA games. Sure its not like playing on the real GBA port but should make no difference?

thanks for all your time DSX Guru

-Goretech

1) Correct, you only need a passme-like device for DS software. You do not need one for GBA software from a a flash cart.
2) G6 Lite fits flush, and does GBA well, FWIU. If the cart sitting flush isn't a concern an EZ2 or EZ3 would be my pick.
3) Not that I'm the expert, but it is unlikely as none of the current passme/nopass/etc can do this and I would imagine that the DS-X is using a similar method to run unsigned code.

As to your last point... The big problem right now w/ GBA on carts designed for DS is memory bandwidth. GBA's don't have much in the way of RAM and depend on pulling data off of the flash cart quickly to do what they do, if they can't get data fast enough you get slowdowns and crashes. Even retail DS carts just do not have the read speed of GBA carts (notice all the "Loading" you see in DS games?), so unless the DS-X team has some form of magic up their sleeves GBA on the DS-X would likely be very poor emulator, or no. I think your fist thought would be the best route get a DS-X for DS and a GBA flash cart for GBA.

scrawl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been reading a lot about this product and the main feature that caught my eye was "reconfigurable hardware".

In my eyes, this alone puts the DS-Xtreme in a different ballpark. DSX-Guru has mentioned they're using an FPGA as one of the chips on the PCB.

This is the equivalent of putting an entire PCB inside a chip. You could, for example, increase the amount of RAM after the product has been manufactured with a downloadable patch.

NASA did something similar with the Mars Rover - after the probe landed on Mars, NASA reconfigured the Rover's hardware (implemented using high density FPGAs) and implemented more video cache via satellite after it was discovered the video feed was lagging badly. You can't do this with a traditional firmware patch.

Since changes can be made at the hardware level, less 'workarounds' will be required at the software level, so you can expect the quality of the product (assuming it will be undergo further development) to improve over time without requiring a new PCB to be manufactured.

I think most existing Flash-carts at the moment implement either an ASIC (non reprogrammable) or CPLD (reprogrammable but not as flexible as an FPGA).

My final comment is on price - I suspect the above average price is reflected by the cost of the FPGA itself as well as the skill/software to implement it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

FrozenIpaq

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm shocked soo many people have attacked DS-X Guru, he has done nothing wrong. Sure, advertising a product in the form of a FAQ section may seem immoral to some, but it's not. This is a great product that is (hopefully) coming out before the M3's Slot 1 solution. Just like what we saw with Supercard + G6 Lite - the one that comes out earlier usually sells more.

As far as the FAQ section - patching a rom and patching the firmware of the device are totally different. He did not doublespeak at all (read 1984 if you don't know what doublespeak is). Give the guy a break, you should all be ashamed for such actions against another person.

Jeez..the "official" FAQ is already up and over at DS-X support forums (see their news/update site and click on support on the left hand side)

privateers69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. Looking at this cart one has to think about the possiblities such as writing a menu loader for the USB port where it can direct your GBA files to a GBA flash card inserted into it. We can finally get rid of the old GBAs
wink.gif

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
FrozenIpaq wrote:
This is a great product that is (hopefully) coming out before the M3's Slot 1 solution. Just like what we saw with Supercard + G6 Lite - the one that comes out earlier usually sells more.

lol, thats not a very good example, lol thats like saying more DSphat handhelds were sold than DSlite handhelds because it came out first. G6 lite and Supercard lite are much different products, eg [the obvious] one has built-in storage and one has removable media.

but i see what ur getting at, but i think instead of the mistake EZ have made releasing the EZ4lite to quickly they has to re-desgn there product and it also put a damper on their good name. sometimes products should deserve that little extra time involved with testing and quality then releasing it before it was at it highest potential..as least hardware wise, software is somewhat less important considering it's much easyer to update software than hardware.

i hope they dont RUSH this product considering the fan base it has already gathered.

FrozenIpaq

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
FrozenIpaq wrote:
This is a great product that is (hopefully) coming out before the M3's Slot 1 solution. Just like what we saw with Supercard + G6 Lite - the one that comes out earlier usually sells more.

lol, thats not a very good example, lol thats like saying more DSphat handhelds were sold than DSlite handhelds because it came out first. G6 lite and Supercard lite are much different products, eg [the obvious] one has built-in storage and one has removable media.

but i see what ur getting at, but i think instead of the mistake EZ have made releasing the EZ4lite to quickly they has to re-desgn there product and it also put a damper on their good name. sometimes products should deserve that little extra time involved with testing and quality then releasing it before it was at it highest potential..as least hardware wise, software is somewhat less important considering it's much easyer to update software than hardware.

i hope they dont RUSH this product considering the fan base it has already gathered.

I've always told my users (forums.qj.net) that the flashcarts can not be compared - one has a removable storage medium, the other does not. Yet, people seem to go with Supercard because it has removable storage rather than wait for the M3 Lite. Those that want a flashcart will purchase what is available for them. Also - the reason why supercard has been selling more - cheaper. The M3 slot-1 solution will definetly be expensive with the 8g version, so people might go down to the 4g version, bringing a fight between DS-X and M3 S1 - usually the cheaper price wins in situations like these (compatability helps).

Montero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Soon all this will be moot. you do what you need to get your stuff off the shelf. Now if this is as good as looks promising I bet a lot of other companies will cry their eyes out. heh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night